Licking And Licking And Licking

Several months ago, Sutra got an owie on his ankle, just a little scrape. So naturally, he would lick at it a little bit as it was healing, in the process slobbering all over the bed. It's been healed for a while now. Over the past week or so, Sutra has been just constantly licking the dog beds, my bed, etc. I don't think that most of the time he is licking any part of his own body.

Last night he slept on my bed and when we got up, there was a HUGE wet spot on the bed. It looked like he had peed in his sleep. His entire side below his ribcage was all wet. I really thought he had somehow gotten up in the middle of the night and peed on the bed. It's not pee though, it's saliva!

Does anyone else have a pup that does this? Is it some sort of weird obsessive behavior?

The only thing I can think of is that he likes to eat dirt, and since it has rained here, the dogs have tracked some mud/dirt in, and I'm sure there was some dirt on his side of the bed...so maybe he's trying to eat the dirt/extract the dirt from the sheets?

I did take him swimming the other day, I wouldn't think that would cause him to obsessively lick the bed. I would consider that a culprit maybe if he was licking HIMSELF, but he's just licking the bed :dunno

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

Donner is a licker too. No clue why. Sometimes it will be a paw, but most of the time it is a dog bed. He leaves the big wet spot too. Glad I don't have to sleep in that wet spot. :gmark

When I hear him licking, I tell him I am going to glue his lips together. He stops. :lol :lol :lol

Wendy and The Whole Wherd. American by birth, Southern by choice.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"
****OxyFresh Vendor ID is 180672239.****

I thought Shane was licking beds too, which he was at one point when he was also licking himself. But it turned out he was increasingly leaking pee. When I checked inside the beds, I found the stains. But I hope Sutra is really just licking the beds.

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

Oh yeah, it's not pee. I dismantled my bed and checked the mattress cover, etc. I blotted it with toilet paper too, and smelled it. Not pee.

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

Wayne is my fabric licker, he actually puts himself in a little trance doing it. I think it's like any other habit.

Some time ago, I had a friend and her daughter visiting and she asked me how I put up with Wayne leaving a big wet spot on my bed.

I told her I put up with it the same way she put up with her daughter constantly sucking her thumb lol.gif

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

:lol

Thanks everyone. While it's kind of weird, it's nice to know that I'm not the only one with a licker. He kind of goes back and forth between being obsessive about it and not doing it at all. Yesterday was the biggest wet spot I've ever seen though :blink:

Guest greytexplorer

My friend's greyhound, Fit, licks a LOT.

She said that it's a soothing mechanism, much like sucking a pacifier.

Fit usually does his licking in the evening, at/near bedtime.

It's how he puts himself to sleep! :)

Guest greytloves

Lucy had a corn removed on a pad a few weeks ago. Healed up OK, but I left her home for 1/2 day alone and when I had returned she had licked ALL the skin off both sides of the toe. She is now on two different antibotics, topical and oral, and as to keep it wrapped non stop. So, licking can be bad and can lead to a nasty, nasty granuloma in a heartbeat. Literally, 1/2 day and her bed was covered in salvia and blood. Doc was amazed when I brought her in on Monday and that was after I had wrapped it for two days. Could not believe she had licked all the skin off, but she had!

eta: My Sug is the pillow licker in the family! Normally DH finds out the hard way. (puts his head on wet pillow)

Edited by greytloves

Guest mcsheltie

Ariel licks the couch and will do it forever unless I interrupt her. It is like she is in a trance. Once I interrupt her, she goes about her business. I think it like chewing your finger nails or twirling your hair.

Guest MyBoys

My Henry can be a licker at times, I always stop him with a verbal command of NO LICK, he usually looks up and stops. The reason I don't allow it is because one of my bridge boys had this habit and ended up with hot spots all over himself. My vet said that lots of times it just becomes obsessive behavior and the trick is to correct it and stop it before it gets to that point.

Duke licks the rug until I tell him to stop, he also used to lick the couch until I got a new one that he is not allowed on and the licking is one or the reasons.

Guest HersheysMom

Yes! Sonie licks comforters and pillows, and sometimes I'll catch her licking the baseboards which I do NOT like. This seems to be soothing for her. If she's panting for any reason sometimes I'll give her a cool wet washcloth to lick. It stops her from panting - not sure if it just cools her off or calms her down or a little of both.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, the licky bandit struck again last night <_< He was laying on my bed on top of a comforter. He soaked through the comforter, through the topsheet, through the fitted sheet, and through the mattress pad. The wet spot was the size of a greyhound!

He will go for weeks without licking at all, and then he does this...blehhh!

I am still happy to know that I'm not the only one that deals with this though :)

Guest queenme2

At least twice a week my husband or I will wake up and say "Nina Stop it or OUT" Because she will be licking her paws or whatever so much and for so long it will wake us up. I thunk I'd be annoyed by wet spots.

Edited by queenme2

We have a licker too. Trip licks himself, human skin and his brothers. He too goes into a trance while licking. Our vet mentioned that Trip's "OCD licking" actually can trigger endorphins which can make him feel "high". I am getting licked as I type....

Cosmo (Fuzz Face Cosmos), Holmes (He's a Dream), Boomer (USS Baby Boomer), Ella and missing our angels Clay (Red Clay), Train (Nite Train), Trip (Bock's Teddy Bear),Larry (Bohemian Frigid) and Jimmy (Bohemian Raw)