Jupiter Started A Fight And Poor Danica Got Bit!

Guest zoolaine

Guest zoolaine

Briley my older non-grey had surgery today for a torn ACL. Monday evening his

legs were so bad he couldn't even walk, so we all camped out on the floor in the

living room by the back door to make it easier on him. Last night Jupiter was

lying by my legs, Luna walked up by my head and Jupiter snapped and lunged at

her - but didn't actually make contact at that point. But for Luna "it was on"

and those two had a little squirmish. Jupiter is so much taller, he was able to

pin her down and bit her ear. She is a lab mix so she has pretty tough skin but

still needed to go to the vet for some antibiotics. And poor Danica was up on

the couch when this started. She tried to run away but I think she ran right

into Briley, who with his legs hurting is quite snarly and he gashed her

shoulder open (just the skin luckily the muscle underneath was fine) and she had

2 puncture wounds on her hip. At least I think that is what happened as I was

trying to get up and turn the light on while all this was going on. I took Dani

to the ER vet for stitches. I feel so bad for her I want to cry - she is so

sweet and did not deserve to get hurt. But on a good note, Zuki did remarkable well sleeping outside of her crate for the first time in about 3 weeks or so - she didn't snarl or growl at anyone during the night. And I did get a "Complimentary Emergency

Consultation" normally $50 because I am a regular there - lol.

Two questions:

Danica is licking the stitches on her hip. I got an e-collar for here but she

hates it and it slides over her head. Can I just use her muzzle and a poop

guard? and how exactly does the poop guard stay on the muzzle?

What do I do with Jupiter? Usually when he tries the "get outta here" to

another dog I make him get off the couch or bed, whatever he wants as his and

that works quite well. But this time he was just on the dog bed. I don't think

he is doing it to be mean and he is so goofy it is hard to get mad at him. But

for his stupid little get away from my momma move I had to pay $600. And

including dropping Briley off for surgery in Seattle was at 3 different vet

clinics in less than 12 hours, including 6 hours of driving between 11pm last

night and 11 am today. I don't know what I can do to prevent this happening

again in the future. Maybe make him sleep in a crate for awhile????

For the poop guard I use those little zip ties.

For Jupiter, can you xpen him apart from the others for a while?

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Try putting some shorts or kids pj bottoms on Danica. A muzzle with a stool guard will work, you get one of the zip ties and attach it that way. Just slide the stool guard on the inside of the muzzle and put the zip tie through the holes and zip it tight. It will hold the stool guard in place. She may tear some stitches out if she rubs it on the wound hard and long enough so you'll have to watch her.

As for Jupiter, it was just one of those things, it was dark, he had no clue what was going on, everyone was asleep and it just took one thing to set it off because everyone wasn't used to sleeping in that situation. If you plan to sleep there again, I'd spread the dog beds around the room so no one is next to anyone else so you lessen the chance of it happening again. Do you have a crate available that you can put Jupiter in if you're going to repeat the sleeping arrangements tonight. That would prevent anything from escalating so you have a repeat.

Hope everyone heals quickly.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest goofydog

I used packing tape on the muzzle for Get Em after his toe amp. Just be sure to poke a few holes in the tape so that when she drinks it can drain out. Hope everyone heals quickly.

I have no advise but wanted to send hugs and prayers that everyone feels better soon! :hope:grouphug

darlenesiggy2.jpg
Darlene Mom to: Aladdin, Sophie ,Pongo, Jasmine, Relic Forever in our Hearts Champ at the Rainbow Bridge.

Let a greyhound race into your heart Adopt

Bay Area Greyhound Adoptions INC. Naples/ Fort Myers Chapter

Guest zoolaine

Try putting some shorts or kids pj bottoms on Danica. A muzzle with a stool guard will work, you get one of the zip ties and attach it that way. Just slide the stool guard on the inside of the muzzle and put the zip tie through the holes and zip it tight. It will hold the stool guard in place. She may tear some stitches out if she rubs it on the wound hard and long enough so you'll have to watch her.

As for Jupiter, it was just one of those things, it was dark, he had no clue what was going on, everyone was asleep and it just took one thing to set it off because everyone wasn't used to sleeping in that situation. If you plan to sleep there again, I'd spread the dog beds around the room so no one is next to anyone else so you lessen the chance of it happening again. Do you have a crate available that you can put Jupiter in if you're going to repeat the sleeping arrangements tonight. That would prevent anything from escalating so you have a repeat.

Hope everyone heals quickly.

Good advice. Briley had surgery today and has to stay overnight at the vet so normal sleeping arraignments tonight. Well I am dog sitting another greyhound and a border collie mix. I really don't think Jupiter is aggressive and it is not a word I would use to describe him. I think it was just a freak incident overall and I am more upset with Danica getting hurt than anything and that was a total accident. Usually when Jupiter is bossy I make him get off the bed or couch and he learns his lesson and does well for several weeks before trying to be bossy again.

I put in an email to Sue to see if she could make Danica a quick pair of jammies in a t-shirt material. but will swing by Goodwill on the way home to look for kids pj bottoms.