Comfortis Question

Guest taylorsmom

Guest taylorsmom

Hi! I thought I would start another thread for this question, since it may get lost in the other thread I have going on Flea control.

So I did some research online on the Comfortis website and it says that use of Comfortis with ivermectin (which is Heartguard, I think, and is what I use for heartworm preventive) can cause several nasty side effects in dogs. For people who use comfortis--what do you use for heartworm prevention? Do you try not to use them both at the same time? I will also certainly ask my vet as well, but would appreciate insight from my wise greyhound lovers on this forum!!

Thanks again!

Guest TeddysMom

I use Ivermectin monthly on all my dogs and have had them on Comfortis for 3 months with no side effects. Comfortis is the only thing right now that actually works.

Guest FastDogsOwnMe

Comfortis is the only flea control that actually works where I live.

I use it. I also use high doses of liquid ivermectin. For that reason, I don't give ivermectin the same two week period as I do Comfortis.

Guest taylorsmom

Thanks for the comments thusfar, very helpful. So when I switch the dogs over to the comfortis next month I will space it out from their heartguard dose, just to be on the safe side. I assume that I will have to wait until next month because I just put the Vectra on them last week and have to wait a month for that to be "out of the system"--don't want to overdose my dogs on flea poison!

Guest eaglflyt

We use Interceptor for heartworm prevention. We used to use Heartgard Plus, but after one of our dachsies came up with whipworms, we switched to Interceptor (which covers whips ... Heartgard doesn't). We've had no problems giving both Comfortis and Interceptor.

Guest fandogs

Regarding Comfortis killing all stages of fleas.

It stays in their system for the whole month, there fore any flea egg that hatches and starts to "eat" dies.

I found that very quickly Comfortis stops the whole flea cycle. And it is the ONLY flea med that works for me. I also haven't had any tick problems since we started using it, although their packaging say nothing about ticks.

I do not medicate my dogs for heartworm. I have them tested 2 times a year for it. (Simple blood test) I prefer not giving so much meds.

Guest taylorsmom

It stays in their system for the whole month, there fore any flea egg that hatches and starts to "eat" dies.

I found that very quickly Comfortis stops the whole flea cycle. And it is the ONLY flea med that works for me. I also haven't had any tick problems since we started using it, although their packaging say nothing about ticks.

I do not medicate my dogs for heartworm. I have them tested 2 times a year for it. (Simple blood test) I prefer not giving so much meds.

Very helpful info, especially since you are also located in PA! Question for you (and anyone else who uses Comfortis and lives in a state with a winter season)--do you give comfortis all year round? I also hate giving so many meds and would love to be able to take a break from the flea medication if there is less of a chance of a flea infestation in the winter. I am a bit ignorant when it comes to fleas, since I have never had any problems with them in the past (I tend to keep my dogs on the heartworm med all year round because one of my greys caught hookworm during the winter and Heartguard works for hooks)--not sure if fleas are more likely to be a problem in the warmer months???

Thanks!

Guest TeddysMom

Very helpful info, especially since you are also located in PA! Question for you (and anyone else who uses Comfortis and lives in a state with a winter season)--do you give comfortis all year round? I also hate giving so many meds and would love to be able to take a break from the flea medication if there is less of a chance of a flea infestation in the winter. I am a bit ignorant when it comes to fleas, since I have never had any problems with them in the past (I tend to keep my dogs on the heartworm med all year round because one of my greys caught hookworm during the winter and Heartguard works for hooks)--not sure if fleas are more likely to be a problem in the warmer months???

Thanks!

After the first good, hard freeze I don't use any flea meds unless I see a flea on one of the dogs. I vaccum with a shop vac really well after it freezes, wash all the bedding, spray with Mycodex Plus spay and I am usually done with the little critters until spring. During the cold months, I just use the Adams mist on them if I see a flea. I still sprinkle things with DE just to control any other bugs that might be around.