Suddenly Refusing To Leave House

Zoe has been ruling our home for 4.5 years. She has ALWAYS been the first to demand her walks and being out the door. Almost 3 weeks ago, she started refusing to turnout in the backyard, unless it was absolutely necessary. Then, 10 days ago, she started balking at the front door when it was time to go on our walks (we take about 30-45 minute strolls twice a day, all 5 of them together). I let her stay home for a couple walks, but then I have been making her go. I actually have to practically drag her until she decides otherwise and then she will walk. She is especially perky when we are on the homeward bound portion of the walk. The timing of the walks hasn't changed.

We went, as usual, to playgroup Saturday and she ran around and enjoyed herself. She just turned 9.

She broke her left hock at the track years ago and it wasn't set, so it looks a little wonky anyway and she periodically limps. However, nothing looks differently now and she isn't favoring it any more than usual. I have checked her feet, legs and palpated her neck and spine and don't get some much as an ear flick or blink.

I have tried treating her to get her to move and she refuses treats. I was willing to let her ride this out, but this morning she decided that she would rather squat on my carpet than in the grass. If she doesn't go out with the boys, I will take her out for a few minutes by herself. As soon as she pees, she spins around to go home. Getting buzzed by a fly will send her home. She won't walk on the sidewalk, but will kind of walk in the street. She seems to sniff the air more at the front door before deciding she won't go out. A coyote has been seen in our neighborhood.

She has never been thunder-phobic or afraid of any noises before. There has been someone at home 98% of the time this summer and no one is aware of what could have spooked her, if anything. It has been an awful summer between the unrelenting heat and lots of storms lately.

The others, 4 goofy boys, haven't changed at all.

I don't think that this is a medical issue, so I posted it here. Any thoughts, suggestions or fixes?

Thanks, Cindy

Forgot to add - my vet is on vacation for another week and I don't trust anyone else in the practice, so I am trying everything else first.

Edited by dante2zoe

gallery_16605_3214_8259.jpg

Cindy with Miss Fancypants, Paris Bueller, Zeke, and Angus 
Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe), Maggie (All Trades Jax), Sherman (LNB Herman Bad) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow

You might want to have her eyes checked. My Emmy, who was always first to go outside, upstairs, on walks whatever, she always wanted to be first. When she suddenly became quite cautious of everything I couldn't put my finger on it. She started waiting until last to go upstairs and outside. I didn't realize at the time she was losing her sight and became fearful of her safety. You can check her eyesight with a cotton ball. Toss it in the air in front of her, if she tracks it she's seeing okay, if not, I'd get her to the vet.

The other thing is maybe she's smelling the coyote and is fearful to go outside. That I don't know what you would do about.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest bellenzo

One of mine refused to go out for a while after being stung by a bee. Eventually she got over it, but she is still very cautious in the yard. Do you think she could have had a negative experience in the yard?

I checked her vision tossing a cotton ball and she tracks well with both eyes. My neighbors are research vets and own greyhounds. I made Zoe walk with us after work and they both checked her out. They don't feel that it is a leg/pain issue - her mannerisms and responses appear to be fear-based. I even sat her down last night and explained that I can fix what is wrong, but I don't speak hound as well as she speaks english, so she needs to do a better job telling me what is wrong! I am just trying to cover all bases here! Needless to say, she still hasn't told me what is bothering her. Sigh.

Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe), Maggie (All Trades Jax), Sherman (LNB Herman Bad) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow

Guest Teresa

One of mine did the same thing a few weeks ago and we determined she was scared to death

of the locust noise. I had to practically drag her outside with a leash and as soon as she did her business she raced back to the door. That lasted about 2 weeks and she is perfectly fine now thank goodness.

Guest Teresa

One of mine did the same thing a few weeks ago and we determined she was scared to death

of the locust noise. I had to practically drag her outside with a leash and as soon as she did her business she raced back to the door. That lasted about 2 weeks and she is perfectly fine now thank goodness.

You might want to have her eyes checked. My Emmy, who was always first to go outside, upstairs, on walks whatever, she always wanted to be first. When she suddenly became quite cautious of everything I couldn't put my finger on it. She started waiting until last to go upstairs and outside. I didn't realize at the time she was losing her sight and became fearful of her safety. You can check her eyesight with a cotton ball. Toss it in the air in front of her, if she tracks it she's seeing okay, if not, I'd get her to the vet.

The other thing is maybe she's smelling the coyote and is fearful to go outside. That I don't know what you would do about.

I was going to say the same thing--get her eyes checked. The light could be bothering her. My Kramer (my last dog) started acting really strangely at night, and when I took him to the vet we determined it was his eyes. He was having problems seeing in the dark.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Guest mbfilby

Cy is scared of the cicadas and cricket noises, as well as any traffic noises, lights, planes, etc. He got spooked outside a few weeks ago by the neighbor slamming a car door and it took a few days for him to get over that.

Ranger got freaked out one night when we were out walking and one of the big electrical transformers blew up as we were walking by it. For several weeks he would not go that way when on a walk. Eventually he got better just in time for us to walk by our complex pool where a birthday party was going on and someone started popping balloons! Now he doesn't want to walk that way either. lol.gif

Poor guy just can't catch a break but I know he'll get over this one like he did before.

The coyote may be the issue. A friends Bassett hound refuses to go on walks because of the coyote's around her neighborhood. She will walk about a block & then practically drags her home. No advice on how to solve the issue. My friend has not been able to.

Carol-Glendale, AZ

Trolley (Figsiza Trollyn)

Nevada 1992-2008...always in my heart

The coyote may be the issue. A friends Bassett hound refuses to go on walks because of the coyote's around her neighborhood. She will walk about a block & then practically drags her home. No advice on how to solve the issue. My friend has not been able to.

I think it may be that. We went to playgroup yesterday morning and she was running around and having a good ol' time. She was hesitant to go out again today.

Obviously, my sitting her down and having a good talk to her didn't do the trick! :lol