Aerosmith, Vomiting, Increased Liver Enzymes...

Guest BaltimoreHounds

Guest BaltimoreHounds

Hi all,

It's kind of sad that one of the first threads I start here after I get a new greytalk account (I used to have one years ago!) is about my poor sick Aerosmith.

Aerosmith is 10, and Sunday night he started vomiting badly. On Monday he seemed under the weather and was not interested in food. Yesterday I took him to the vet, because on Monday night he vomited once again. The vet gave him a shot of an anti-emetic, oral Pepcid, and some Science Diet i/d canned food. He also drew blood for a CBC/Chem 21. The results of the bloodwork came back today and the only abnormal value was an increased ALT (liver enzyme). The ALT was five times the normal value.

Last night Aerosmith was brighter and more like himself. He really doesn't want to eat the i/d (he kind of picks at it), but I gave him some potato soup, and he ate that right up. Do you guys have any recommendations for a dog who isn't really interested in eating? Any ideas would help.

If he is not back to 100% by Friday, I'm taking him in for an abdominal x-ray.

Please spare some good thoughts for my Aerosmith....he is the best dog ever.

Guest BaltimoreHounds

Thank you guys! I'm going to head over to Safeway right now, and get some things that are easy to digest yet tasty.

I love my Aerosmith. I've had him for 6 yrs now. He's always been my medically challenged guy, so I hope he can beat whatever is ailing him.

A few years back, our LuLu's ALT levels came back very high after a seizure (which happened to be her first, and appeared out of no-where). We suspect it may have been due to the Distemper/parvo shot she received two weeks prior (but nobody at the vets will say that for sure). At the advice of the vet, we added a daily dose of vitamin E, and Milk Thistle to help support her liver. A few months later, her re-test came back completely normal. I was told the elevated ALT level is an indication that something toxic happened to the liver, which led us to suspect her recent inocculation. Since this episode, we titer our dogs now before any shots are given.

Guest longdoglady

I second the milk thistle, I had very high ALT levels a few years ago (caused by medication) I tried milk thistle and it worked. I also ate a low fat, bland diet as anything rich made me feel yucky.

Get well Aerosmith :grouphug

Guest BaltimoreHounds

Aerosmith seems to be doing better. He's still not a 100%, but I would say 75%. He still doesn't like his i/d diet, but he is vacuuming up lean chicken breast meat, tuna in water, and chicken noodle soup. Yesterday he even greeted me at the door with his favorite stuffie in his mouth. I still might take him in to have the abdominal x-ray, because he really doesn't seem all the way back to normal.

Thanks for the milk thistle suggestion. I'm going to give it a go.

Guest Energy11

Wonderful news!!!

Yep, some like the ID, some don't! Mine prefer the Purnina EN to the Science Diet ID. We are just getting over a "Big D Bug" here, and we used the EN.

The diet you are feeding is GREAT, and I am happy it is working!