Flea Control Question

Guest taylorsmom

Guest taylorsmom

Hi everyone!

I have a major flea infestation going on here and will most likely need to get the house professionally treated to get rid of them. I seem to have a vague memory of reading somewhere that greyhounds are sensitive to certain types of chemicals that are used in flea control, like pyrethrins, but cannot find it on here (I did several searches). Can anyone give me any info on this? I would love to avoid the really toxic treatments, and have heard that exterminators can use things like infrared treatments to get rid of fleas and eggs in the carpets, instead of chemicals--anyone ever heard of this? I have tried the "natural" route (diatomaceous earth powder) all over the place--it is nasty and has done nothing to control the flea population, so I think I unfortunately have to turn to a professional exterminator now. We have four dogs and two cats, and they go everywhere in the house, including in the bed with us, so the fleas are EVERYWHERE!! Ugh.

Thanks for any help!!

Guest mpportraits

don't forget to wash all of your clothing, bedding, etc w/a touch of flea shampoo in the washer! i'm horribly allergic to fleas and once went to a house w/fleas..i had them ALL over and had to wash my clothing in flea shampoo to totally get rid of them, uck! i feel for you!!!

I can't help you with products to use in the house... but I use Revolution on Summer and all is good. I have read that you can also use Advantage on them. Good luck! -- I feel for you! I had a flea infestation years and years ago and, at the time, the vet sold a wonderful product for the house called Siphotrol. They also sold a fabulous flea mousse for the dog, causing instant flea death, but I have the feeling that the mousse may not be a good product for a greyhound. The product was Vet-Kem Ovitrol Mousse and here's the active ingredients: Methoprene 0.5%, Pyrethrins 0.4%, Piperonyl Butoxide 5.0%, sodium nitrite at 0.10% as a preservative. Perhaps someone with more knowledge can comment on this product? And here's some information on the Siphotrol "Premise Spray": Methoprene 0.085%, Permethrin 0.350%, Phenothrin 0.300%, N-octyl bicycloheptene dicarboximide 2.000%, Piperonyl butoxide 1.400% and it also contains petroleum distillates. Good luck!!!!!!!!!!

SummerGreytalkSignatureResized-1.jpg

Lisa B.

My beautiful Summer - to her forever home May 1, 2010 Summer

Certified therapy dog team with St. John Ambulance

Guest eaglflyt

Comfortis from your vet. Nothing else works as well as Comfortis and it's grey safe.

Be sure to stay away from any *flea* collars .... NOT grey safe.

Good luck!

Guest taylorsmom

Diatomaceous earth is an all-natural proven human carcinogen:

http://www.sciencelab.com/xMSDS-Diatomaceous_earth-9923703

~D~

Yikes!! I had no idea!

I will look into Comfortis--I have never heard of it. Is it an ingestible pill you give or a topical?

Wow, I didn't even think of having to wash all the clothes. Ugh, I hate fleas.

I am thinking of having an exterminator "bomb" the house--any ideas about that? Maybe I can leave all the closet doors open so it can get in the clothes too.

We tried Vectra 3D, given to me by my vet and it has been very effective in killing the fleas on the dogs, but I have to use another product on the cats and really need to clean up the environment. I think I will look into changing to comfortis as the monthly flea preventive since it is known to be greyhound safe.

Thanks so much for all responses thusfar!

Guest pikoda

Wow that sucks!

I'm so glad I moved to Colorado... we have no fleas here! They were horrible in FL so it's so nice not having to put chemicals on my dog's backs anymore!

Guest eaglflyt

Diatomaceous earth is an all-natural proven human carcinogen:

http://www.sciencela...s_earth-9923703

~D~

Diatomaceous earth is also very sharp and it can cause lung damage if inhaled (by canine or human) and has been known to cause blindness in a dog when it got into the eyes. It resulted in excessive corneal abrasion and inflammation that caused the blindness.

Comfortis is a pill and it starts working in 30 minutes. It is from vets only since it is currently a prescription product. Here's a link to Comfortis information.

Edited by eaglflyt

I have a major flea infestation going on here and will most likely need to get the house professionally treated to get rid of them. I seem to have a vague memory of reading somewhere that greyhounds are sensitive to certain types of chemicals that are used in flea control, like pyrethrins, but cannot find it on here (I did several searches).

Pyrethrins are fine for greys. The bad guy for some greys is permethrin. Pyrethrins are organic, permethrin is artifical.

Have always had good luck with Advantage for fleas. I've heard great things about Comfortis but almost $20 a pill is a tad steep for me. I'd try treating the kids, vaccumming like crazy, and spray all furniture and beds liberally with Adams.

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

Comfortis YES it's a once a month pill.

Vectra NO NO NO

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Guest taylorsmom

Comfortis YES it's a once a month pill.

Vectra NO NO NO

Uh oh--why no no no for Vectra?? I have already put it on my greys once (gulp!).

Guest greytloves

For your house, if they still make it, get Fleabusters. You do it, it is a powder you put on the carpet and then brush it in really hard. Used to work like a charm. Don't forget outside, use diatamecous(sp?) earth and keep areas mowed down. If used outside it should not be inhaled, but I always use that after dogs are turned out for the last time and let it settle for the night. I also run the sprinkles early morning before they get out. As for the animals, get the Comfortis and maybe even start with a Capstar for an immediate kill. Then bathe all of the bedding with Borax.

Those would be my first bets for a more natural way. If that did not work, I would use Adams Spray on all the bedding.

Edited by greytloves

Guest mcsheltie

Nematodes from Fleabusters work greyt in the yard. I've used them for a couple years. You have to water your lawn every so often, not a lot, just enough so they get a drink and don't dry out.

Last week I found two fleas on Kare Bear, and one on Tessie. I have never had a flea problem, and didn't want this to get out of control being as we have carpets all over the place. I called our vet, and got a dose of Advantage for each girlie. Then I took the day off from work and did laundry from morning, till way past midnight! I washed "everything". Our beds, dog beds, couch blankets, even the pads and blankets in my car got washed. I pulled everything away from the walls and vacuumed to the baseboards, and did every inch of carpet in the house. I also got down between the furniture cushions. It was also suggested that I get a really cheap flea collar and cut about 4 inches of it, twist it really good to activate it, and put it into my vacuum bag. This is supposed to kill the fleas and eggs in the bag so they cannot get back out again.

I hope you get them under control soon. I worked my butt off that day to be sure I gave everything a thorough cleaning. Fleas give me the crawlies!

Guest taylorsmom

Last week I found two fleas on Kare Bear, and one on Tessie. I have never had a flea problem, and didn't want this to get out of control being as we have carpets all over the place. I called our vet, and got a dose of Advantage for each girlie. Then I took the day off from work and did laundry from morning, till way past midnight! I washed "everything". Our beds, dog beds, couch blankets, even the pads and blankets in my car got washed. I pulled everything away from the walls and vacuumed to the baseboards, and did every inch of carpet in the house. I also got down between the furniture cushions. It was also suggested that I get a really cheap flea collar and cut about 4 inches of it, twist it really good to activate it, and put it into my vacuum bag. This is supposed to kill the fleas and eggs in the bag so they cannot get back out again.

I hope you get them under control soon. I worked my butt off that day to be sure I gave everything a thorough cleaning. Fleas give me the crawlies!

The flea collar piece in the vacuum bag sounds like a good idea--I will try it! I also spent this past weekend doing laundry and vacuuming but I used that nasty Diatomaceous earth powder and now I think I have to make sure to vacuum all that up since I found out it is not so non-toxic. I have Adams spray and plan to re-spray all the bedding, couches etc. also.