Nails Separating From The Quick

Guest jazzy

HI,

I'm sharing this information about our girl Jasmine,who just went through a horrid problem with her nails. They were separating from the quick, the nails were falling off, she was bleeding and couldn't walk! I found great information on this site referring me to medication which the vet then prescribed. (If you search the site you can find it again I hope.) That went on for a month, and it seemed to arrest the problem and involved daily doses of prednisone and chlorphenerimine. But I suspected it to be a dietary problem and we now have her on: Fish Oil (2400 mg a day), vitamin E (800 mg a day), Vitamin B (niacinamide-1500 mg a day) and 3 packets of Knox gelatin...each day. Her nails are slowly growing back and her energy is rebounding. I now feed her ground meat, brown rice and spinach. All the best marketed food out there was somehow not doing it.

I hope this helps someone out there. She is now doing great, but it was a scare! A greyhound not running is not a good thing!

Dylan and our girl Jazzy....

Guest TeddysMom

I had a friend in FL that had a boxer who ended up with a fungus that caused his nails to pop off. They put him on a couple of rounds of Ketakonizole and soaked his feet in a anti fungus solutions. It was months before they got it under control. His nail grew back but were rough and not really pretty but at least he had nails. You might as the vet if it could be a fungus. Good luck.

HI Dylan: I'm Kathy from central Ohio & I have an 8 yr hound with nail issues also. What you're describing sure sounds like SLO to me.

www. greyhoundgang.org/medical-pemphigusSLO.php Check that site see what you think. My hound has never lost a nail, but he oozes yuck from the nail bed

on 2 nails on one foot & 1 nail on another.

I thought at first it was SLO & researched everything I could find & tried at least 3 trials of meds for 6 weeks each with little improvement. The only thing

that helped at all was prednisone, which makes me believe that he has some kind of immune system issue. But the Pred made us both miserable. He had to pee

at least every hour, lost weight rapidly & had night terrors (which he'd never had before & has not had since I took him off).

From my understanding, this is a life long battle. If you find something that works, stick with it. I tried a novel protein (kangaroo) for several months,

no improvement. I'm trying to get him on a grain-free diet now, but can't find anything he'll eat, so he's still on the kangaroo.

Hope your protocol works & Jazzie's feet feel much better & stay better.

Blessed is the person who has earned the love of an old dog.

Thanks for the input. She was on that program, and hopefully the new program of vitamins and diet will stabilize her...it's an experiment we are trying with our vet. The goal is to keep her off Pred if possible as it is so hard on her! I will report back. It's been 2 months on the new diet/vitamin plan and so far, so good!

Jazzy

Sounds like your hound has SLO-- will need to be on meds for life. One protocol is pred (short-term), tetra, niacidimide and EFA's. If your vet is not familar with SLO you may need to seek another opinion perhaps from a derm Dr

We are going through nail issues with one of our boys too. I thought at first he had just ripped a couple of nails, till I noticed that there were several that were just splitting on the bottoms and pulling up and off. Our vet feels that it is lupoid onychodystrophy, and also sent in a nail sample for a fungal culture. The culture did come back positive for the fungus, but she feels that that is a secondary to the lupoid. She has prescribed Doxycycline, niacinamide and massive dose of Welactin ( fatty acid) for the lupoid, which he will continue to take from now on. The dosages may be adjusted depending on how he responds. He is also going to be put on fluconozole for the fungus. Thank goodness he is so good about taking meds. I can mix them in with his food. The Welactin is a really nasty fish oil, that he loves, and I think he would eat cardboard if I put it on it.

She does not want to put him on prednesone unless absolutely necessary, so hope that he will respond to this other stuff.

He has only been on these meds for about 2 weeks, and has lost all of the nails on one front foot, 2 on the other front and 1 each on the back. Poor boy was walking around pretty careful, I know it was pretty sore. Oh, and we were also doing rimadyl for the pain... He has his own shelf in the cupboard for his meds, and I had to follow the list to make sure I got them all straight.

This of course freaked me out from having him have to go through all of this, and I thought I might have to have the vet prescribe meds for me too. :o

We are to have a check up in a month after the floconozole is done, and see how he doing. She is hoping to see the nails growing back, though said that they will most likely be deformed. As long as he feels better, and we can control this, that is all I care about.

Wanda, with the DC Racing Kids,

Eric ( DNT Finbarclancy )  6/29/14    Maggie ( DNT Oh Maggie ) 6/29/14

Lorraine ( DC Don't Rainonme ) 3/15/08 - 4/9/20 ---  Suzie ( DC Lazy Susan ) 3/12/06 - 9/4/18 --- Stormy ( DC Major Storm ) 11/29/99 - 1/21/12 ---- Andy ( Andy's Alibi ) 1/23/99 - 12/30/11

We did a culture of Desi's worst toe, too. It came back staph (freaked me out....all I could think of was MERSA). But my vet also thought the staph was secondary to the immune issue. Whatever, we did a long course of Cephalexin & he's much better. It was so bad for a while that he wore a boy's sock on that

foot most of the time to keep out dirt & to keep him from licking. In hindsight, I wonder if I was just keeping the ick IN. Even though I cleaned & used

an all-natural calming spray twice a day. Hope Jazzie does well.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Kathy,

Thanks for the post and thoughts. I don't check in often, so I apologize for not getting back sooner.

Jazzy seems to be doing very well with the vitamin treatment! We did do the prednisone which staved off the worse (and it was bad!!!) but now, with the vitamins and diet change her nails are growing back and her energy is up!

So far, so good.....

I found an organic dried food which has some fruit. And the veggie (spinach) I add, along with pure protein,(ground meat and brown rice) vit E, Vit B and gelatin(4 packets a day) is working! (Crossed fingers.)

I would give it a shot! Seems to be working for our girl so maybe it would work for your guy? I hope so...

Best,

Dylan and Jazzy

ps....and lots of Fish Oil!! 4800mg a day!

HI Dylan: I'm Kathy from central Ohio & I have an 8 yr hound with nail issues also. What you're describing sure sounds like SLO to me.

www. greyhoundgang.org/medical-pemphigusSLO.php Check that site see what you think. My hound has never lost a nail, but he oozes yuck from the nail bed

on 2 nails on one foot & 1 nail on another.

I thought at first it was SLO & researched everything I could find & tried at least 3 trials of meds for 6 weeks each with little improvement. The only thing

that helped at all was prednisone, which makes me believe that he has some kind of immune system issue. But the Pred made us both miserable. He had to pee

at least every hour, lost weight rapidly & had night terrors (which he'd never had before & has not had since I took him off).

From my understanding, this is a life long battle. If you find something that works, stick with it. I tried a novel protein (kangaroo) for several months,

no improvement. I'm trying to get him on a grain-free diet now, but can't find anything he'll eat, so he's still on the kangaroo.

Hope your protocol works & Jazzie's feet feel much better & stay better.

Edited by jazzy

Hi,

I just posted to Kathy, and I am getting GREAT results with the diet and vitamin treatment. She is almost back to normal. Her nails are growing back and her energy is up.

I know each case is different, but all the good stuff I am feeding her can't hurt. Maybe it would work for you??

Good luck!

Dylan and Jazzy...

We are going through nail issues with one of our boys too. I thought at first he had just ripped a couple of nails, till I noticed that there were several that were just splitting on the bottoms and pulling up and off. Our vet feels that it is lupoid onychodystrophy, and also sent in a nail sample for a fungal culture. The culture did come back positive for the fungus, but she feels that that is a secondary to the lupoid. She has prescribed Doxycycline, niacinamide and massive dose of Welactin ( fatty acid) for the lupoid, which he will continue to take from now on. The dosages may be adjusted depending on how he responds. He is also going to be put on fluconozole for the fungus. Thank goodness he is so good about taking meds. I can mix them in with his food. The Welactin is a really nasty fish oil, that he loves, and I think he would eat cardboard if I put it on it.

She does not want to put him on prednesone unless absolutely necessary, so hope that he will respond to this other stuff.

He has only been on these meds for about 2 weeks, and has lost all of the nails on one front foot, 2 on the other front and 1 each on the back. Poor boy was walking around pretty careful, I know it was pretty sore. Oh, and we were also doing rimadyl for the pain... He has his own shelf in the cupboard for his meds, and I had to follow the list to make sure I got them all straight.

This of course freaked me out from having him have to go through all of this, and I thought I might have to have the vet prescribe meds for me too. :o

We are to have a check up in a month after the floconozole is done, and see how he doing. She is hoping to see the nails growing back, though said that they will most likely be deformed. As long as he feels better, and we can control this, that is all I care about.

Hi,

Thanks for your thoughts....Jazzy is doing really well on her new diet. Hope it lasts! And hope your guy gets better soon.

Dylan and Jazzy

We did a culture of Desi's worst toe, too. It came back staph (freaked me out....all I could think of was MERSA). But my vet also thought the staph was secondary to the immune issue. Whatever, we did a long course of Cephalexin & he's much better. It was so bad for a while that he wore a boy's sock on that

foot most of the time to keep out dirt & to keep him from licking. In hindsight, I wonder if I was just keeping the ick IN. Even though I cleaned & used

an all-natural calming spray twice a day. Hope Jazzie does well.

Dylan & Jazzie: Glad to hear she's doing well. Desi, too. Finally got him on grain free....duck & potato, & his feet are much better. Turned out some of his walking problems were due to overgrown nails. I knew they were too long, he's been getting them

dremeled every 2 weeks for months. The day we finally got that last way-long toenail back enough that it didn't hit the ground when he walked, the difference in his gait was amazing. He's now going "barefoot"...no sock, no bootie, and his attitude has improved as well.

Thank heavens for this board where we can share problems, protocols, results. It helps so much to know you're not alone.

Give Jazz a big hug from DesiRay & me.

• 1 month later...

[Hi

Glad Desi is doing better. So is Jazzie. Really, the diet and vitamins have saved the day.. The combination of Vit E, Gelatin, Vit B, Fish Oil and high protein with the organic mix with fruit (she eats better than me!) has staved if off. Her nails are growing back slowly...but I know what you mean about these darn long nails! Before this happened to her it was a constant struggle to keep them short.I also put her on Traumeel-a homopathic remedy for joint pain-a side issue and most probably track injury related.

Hope things keep getting better!

Dylan and Jazzie[/size][/size]

quote name='DesiRayMom' timestamp='1283949152' post='4684161']

Dylan & Jazzie: Glad to hear she's doing well. Desi, too. Finally got him on grain free....duck & potato, & his feet are much better. Turned out some of his walking problems were due to overgrown nails. I knew they were too long, he's been getting them

dremeled every 2 weeks for months. The day we finally got that last way-long toenail back enough that it didn't hit the ground when he walked, the difference in his gait was amazing. He's now going "barefoot"...no sock, no bootie, and his attitude has improved as well.

Thank heavens for this board where we can share problems, protocols, results. It helps so much to know you're not alone.

Give Jazz a big hug from DesiRay & me.