Filet Of Mafi

Poooooooor Mafi. Last night, I was upstairs when I heard a screech (less hair-raising than a GSOD), and then barking from Gigi. I ran downstairs, and there was Mafi, sitting at the bottom of the stairs whining and trembling. And then she turned around, and I saw that a large hunk of her L side had been degloved. :( It appeared to me that the large flap of skin was entirely avulsed with only a small remnant, and there was a tear in the fascia. There was minimal bleeding, but I do think I threw up a little in my mouth. :blush (I can laugh about this now...)

I called my vet, Fiona, who is also my neighbor. She met me at the hospital, as she had to head over there to do some work anyway. She figured she'd at least look at the wound to see if it needed immediate repair, a graft, or whatever. Fiona thought there was a good chance that she could repair the wound without grafting. She felt it could wait until this morning, when she was scheduled to be in surgery, so I started Mafi on keflex and gave her a tramadol for pain, and would bring her back early this a.m.

Lesson learned: for a 45-lb galga, do NOT use a whole tramadol. Mafi stood, staring at the walls, for a good portion of the night. :blink:

The repair is quite beautiful - I was pessimistic that the wound edges could be brought together without too much tension on the skin, but as of tonight it looks good. There's always a chance of wound necrosis/infection. She's got a drain in, and is also wearing Auntie Irene's pretty little Pink Ribbon jammie to keep the wound clean.

Right now, she's staying downstairs. She did eat a few pieces of turkey but wouldn't take a hidden pill. Where are those pill pockets when you need them?

I'll post photos when she can remain standing for more than a couple of minutes. My poor, sweet, loving baby girl...

mafiheartsmallcopy.jpg

gallery_13500_3426_13848.jpg

Poor little sweetie. I hope the injury heals quickly and well, and that she feels great soon.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

I still don't know what happened. I walked the yard, stairs, ramp, etc. this evening and didn't see a thing. Of course, there are branches near the ground, but I didn't see anything else sharp or projecting. It definitely wasn't Dandi the Terrible, as he was up on the bed with me. It might have been Gigi -- Gigi never bites, but she can be a little rough when she plays, and caught a tooth on Mafi's side, but the wound is way bigger than I'd expect for a tooth wound.

I've never seen any beasts in the yard (6' fence) except for field mice and gophers. No raccoons. This may just be a big mystery..

Poor sweet girl.

We had a hound do that at Sandy Paws a few years ago. He screamed and landed at the bottom of the villa stairs with his side hanging open. Thanks to GIJenn and a team of calm volunteers we got him bandaged and off to the eVet for a fix up. He has a scar, but the reason is still a mystery. The best we can figure is the stair rail, but....................we'll never know for sure.

Casual Bling & Hope for Hounds
Summer-3bjpg.jpg
Janet & the hounds Maggie and Allen Missing my baby girl Peanut, old soul Jake, quirky Jet, Mama Grandy and my old Diva Miz Foxy; my angel, my inspiration. You all brought so much into my light, and taught me so much about the power of love, you are with me always.
If you get the chance to sit it out or dance.......... I hope you dance! Missing our littlest girl.

Mafi :inlove Hope you and mom feel better soon.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

How is Mafi today? Please tell her that I have mailed her one of Niña's jammies to make her look glam while she heals. :smokin

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Oh OW. Sending gentle scritchies and prayers for uneventful healing.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Mafi is doing much better tonight!

After a comatose night and morning, Mafi was far more comfortable and lively when I got home tonight. My dogsitter was able to get Rimadyl into her, and I'm sure that made a big difference. Knock on wood -- her wound looks great. I was back at the vet tonight with iggy Buddy, and Fiona, my vet, told me that she was so pleased that she was able to give Mafi her very own initial "M" to adorn her side. :)

Mafi this morning

eff7c39f-1.jpg

Close-up of her personalized suture job.

ff903d1f-1.jpg

Iggy Buddy was catching a couple of zzzz's. My poor little guy -- he was diagnosed with bilateral pneumonia tonight. You'd never know it by looking at him... until he started coughing. He's on a couple of antibiotics and hopefully will be improving by next week.

1af53138-1.jpg

How is Mafi today? Please tell her that I have mailed her one of Niña's jammies to make her look glam while she heals. :smokin

Aw, you're a sweetheart! Mafi will be honored, and I know she'll feel the warmth and loving surrounding her.

Thanks so much, Ducky!

That poor baby. Her wound looks so painful. Could she have scraped her side running too close to a tree? That is one of Fiona's (no relation to your wonderful vet) specialties here. She has a lovely 1/2 moon scar on one hip where she bounced off the bark while chasing a squirrel.

Here's all my good wishes that Mafi and Buddy are well again very soon.

gallery_6279_2888_88479.jpg

Hobbes - April 2, 1994 to April 9, 2008-----Tasha - May 23, 2000 to March 31, 2013

Fiona - Aug 29, 2001 to May 5, 2014-----Bailey - March 22, 2001 to Jan 20, 2015

Zeke - June 1, 2004 - Jan 26, 2016----Callie - July 14, 2006 to July 27, 2019

Forever in my heart: Chooch, Molly, Dylan & Lucy

That poor baby. Her wound looks so painful. Could she have scraped her side running too close to a tree? That is one of Fiona's (no relation to your wonderful vet) specialties here. She has a lovely 1/2 moon scar on one hip where she bounced off the bark while chasing a squirrel.

Here's all my good wishes that Mafi and Buddy are well again very soon.

Mafi and Buddy thank you, and everyone, for their well wishes!

I know she didn't injure herself on a tree -- there are no trees in the yard. :P I didn't see anything out there yesterday, but this weekend I'll do a careful walk-through.

So far, so good as far as her wound. There's no drainage and it looks like the flap is still viable. She's being such a good girl, and seems to be a lot more comfortable.

Little Buddy has a way to go. He really doesn't look at all sick, but his cough is pretty bad. He's always in my bed and under the covers. He like to come up close to my face and spew dog germs. I wonder if they make face masks in doggie size?!? :rolleyes:

Jordan I'm posting your picture of Mafi wearing her jammies from angel Niña.

Here's sweet Mafi with the jammies covering her boo boo:

mafijammies.jpg

And here's my angel Niña in the same jammies. Jordan, do you need me to send the "Marge Simpson homey hat" too?

004-5.jpg

tiny hada siggy.png

Jordan I'm posting your picture of Mafi wearing her jammies from angel Niña.

Here's sweet Mafi with the jammies covering her boo boo:

mafijammies.jpg

And here's my angel Niña in the same jammies. Jordan, do you need me to send the "Marge Simpson homey hat" too?

004-5.jpg

wub.gifwub.gif

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless