Scaling How Do You Do It?

Guest kelli123

Guest kelli123

Ive been seeing talk about scaling your dogs teeth,

How do you do this with out scraping there gums? I have a people tooth scraper would this work.

Can you explain to me just how you do it ? My Gracie's 2 big top teeth have plaque build up, I have started to use the petzlife but the plaque is not coming off on its own yet. Thanks in advance.

Guest FastDogsOwnMe

Well, I go up under the gum and scale down, careful not to shove any junk up into the gum. I also then flush the gums with chlorhexadine rinse. I use a variety of tooth scalers and dental picks for this process. It does require your dog hold perfectly still and be quite tolerant.

Guest kelli123

A vet years ago told us a spoon - that way you are only getting what is loose because we really aren't dentists :)

That sounds safer for the first try . Thanks

A vet years ago told us a spoon - that way you are only getting what is loose because we really aren't dentists :)

:lol

4894718087_9910a46faa_d.jpg

Tricia with Kyle, our senior mutt dog 
Always missing Murray MaldivesBee Wiseman, River, Hopper, Kaia, and 
Holly Oaks Holly
“You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.“          -Bob Dylan

Guest FastDogsOwnMe

Yeah I in no way suggest anyone do what I do... I was just answering the question ;) Yes my dogs let me. Some of them sleep! They are used to it. Took time for some of them, though.

That sounds safer for the first try . Thanks

And a vet told me to use my fingernail or a small coin for the same reason, for the first try - but they didn't know that I'd worked as an animal nurse and had been given dentals to do. :lol

I use a scaler, but a special dog version. The people ones are usually too pointy. OK for getting between teeth, but you don't want to be sticking the pointy end up under the gum. The dog scalers have a broad, flat end.

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

Guest eaglflyt

I wouldn't scale unless advised by your vet. Scaling scratches the enamel which leaves grooves ... great places for bacteria to inhabit and tartar will return much more quickly. We use Petzlife Oral Care Gel (scroll down for best price on 12 oz. bottle) and brushing and it has removed tartar even on elderly and bad mouthed dogs in as little as 2 weeks to 30 days. This product actually works and does not damage the enamel. Just use as directed, no more.

My vet showed me how to scale the hounds' teeth and she suggested I do it to reduce the frequency of dentals and get rid of all the tartar deposits on their teeth. She showed me how to do it the last time I was there and recommended a certain scaler - she said some are much better than others. She did it on Sagan and I was amazed that he let her do it without pulling away! I hate doing this kind of thing (it feels like chalk against a board - uuuugh!) but if it means I don't have to put my dogs "under" as frequently, then I'm all for it.

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

Guest KennelMom

I would personally never take a metal implement to my dogs teeth. You can create small grooves and crevices that can make the situation worse. On track dogs I've used my fingernail to fleck off big chunks of build-up off their teeth, but I leave tooth cleaning to the people with D.V.M. after their name.

I would personally never take a metal implement to my dogs teeth. You can create small grooves and crevices that can make the situation worse. On track dogs I've used my fingernail to fleck off big chunks of build-up off their teeth, but I leave tooth cleaning to the people with D.V.M. after their name.

Ditto. It's very easy to knick the teeth and allow bacteria to grow.

Edited by cbudshome

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

I use a nickel and I don't scrape it on the teeth. I put the edge of it on the tooth up at the gum line and then flick down hard to break off bits of tarter. Murphy won't let me do it and I haven't tried on Molly yet (she doesn't need it). Bailey used to let me do it though.

Maureen, Sean, Molly (Garnett Madonna) and Sully (Starz Top Style)

gallery_1382_2909_6961.jpg

Visit LongDog Leather Works for adjustable leather martingales, wrap around leather tag bags, breakaway tag necklaces and cool leather people gear. Check out our Etsy store!

Guest eaglflyt

I certainly have nothing to do with the company, but dentals aren't really necessary with use of the Petzlife Dental products. Really, it's true. No need for metal instruments in the mouth at all ... whether awake or anesthetized. We told our vet about it after he asked how we keep all our dogs teeth so perfect. He now carries the Vet version of Petzlife ... it's called Vetzlife. He recommends it to all his clients after seeing our 14 year old Aussie and elderly dachshund with perfect teeth. :)