What's With This Face-Rubbing

Guest Houndstown

Justin used to do that and it was ALWAYS when he was super excited, whether to see you or getting to go somewhere, etc. I always attributed it to love....

Guest Bang_o_rama

Bang will come up and press the top of her head against a leg (or crotch) and remain there, motionless, just like out cat. I think she may actually lose consciousness.

~D~

Sahara does it pretty regularly, usually when DH or I come home from work. It is sweet. blush.gif Coltrane rubs his face on the couch after he eats, which is not so sweet. unsure.gif

Rebecca
with Atlas the borzoi, Luna the pyr, and Madison the cat, always missing Sahara(Flyin Tara Lyn) and Coltrane(Blue on By) the greyhounds

• 2 weeks later...
Guest aeroangie

Otis does this and has from the very first day I got him I believe. I worried that it might some dominance/marking kind of thing but I guess nit. It's too cute to discourage whatever it is.

What's With This Face-Rubbing is he a cat in a dog's body?

Oh, I missed this before. My answer is, YES! Actually when I first adopted Venus, if anyone asked what the new dog was like I would say, "She's a great dog if you like cats." I love the face rubbing especially when she does it excitedly sort of rubbing & tapping my hip in excitement, making snuffling noises. Sort of a canine/feline/porcine thing. That plus her timidity combined with a desire to be friends earned her the nickname Piglet. Still, the cat wins out quite often.

Actually, when I needed help remembering to pack up & leave for work on time in the mornings, I trained her to come "pester" me by coming over & nuzzling me at the appointed time. See, the face rubbing has practical uses. :)

Enjoy your cat!

Guest Lgyure85

Maddie doesn't rub her face so much, but she head-butts us if she is feeling affectionate and we're standing. I think it's her way of saying "Pay attention to me!!!" It works :)

Guest FastDogsOwnMe

My Borzoi Sarov does this to me. He only does it to people he REALLY likes. He does, however, wipe his face off on my bed after he eats.

My Whippet wipes his face on my jeans sometimes- for him it's because he's wet or has sand in his face or an itch :lol He also rolls around in the bed snapping the air after he eats.

The Greys do rub their heads on me for petting and for food removal.

Aaron's' just started doing this too, except he doesn't rub; he headbuts until I start rubbing. On a really good face-rub, I can even get ear-groany sounds from him. It's really adorable.

That's Sid! It is adorable, isn't it?

He also rubs his face on the floor sometimes, which I figure has several causes. 1 - it's an expression of satisfaction, especially when he's had oily fish for dinner, 2 - he has a messy muzzle ... especially when he's had oily fish for dinner :P, and 3 - he has an itch which he can't reach because he's a tripod. :lol

When we first had him I wondered if he was itchy, and paid attention to what he was eating, and to the state of his gums (he does have that sticky saliva and a tendency to gingivitis), but it seems to have nothing to do with anything but happiness.

Olivia only occasionally does it to me, but she ALWAYS rubs her face all over her bed after she eats. She wolfs down her food, then walks over to her bed and plops her face down, rubbing it every which way, while her butt sticks up in the air. I figure she's a dainty princess who doesn't want to have any food on her face for when she gets her glamour shots taken.

And that was my old Jack! Such a funny little guy, and this was one of the funnier things he did. That bony little bottom up in the air, elbows on his bed, snorting and snuffling with pleasure as he swiped his face back and forth in the bed. I miss that dog. :wub:

Actually, when I needed help remembering to pack up & leave for work on time in the mornings, I trained her to come "pester" me by coming over & nuzzling me at the appointed time. See, the face rubbing has practical uses. :)

Enjoy your cat!

That's a neat trick! Dogs are very good at knowing when things are supposed to happen, aren't they? Renie was a PAT dog and would get restless on the mornings we used to go visiting at the Deaf-Blind place when they had a training day and didn't need us. She would go and stand in the hall by the drawer where her stuff was kept, looking bewildered, and then trot back and look at me, and sometimes I'd get a nudge. Bless them, they're amazing, aren't they?

Oh, and she was definitely a 'cat'. :wub:

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

Guest cruzNhounds

Aww you are privileged, it's a greyhound terms of endearment thing. My boy Dusty would flip your arm or hand if you didn't pet him, he was a hugger and a very needy boy...a momma's boy indeed. Brummy and Birdie are face rubbers, so much that they almost knock me over :rolleyes: . My new girl Bennie is learning, but she's more of a tugger.