Dustin's Belly

OK...I've had dogs for years - but as I age, I become more of a worrywart. Dustin vomited up his whole breakfast - hot dog chunks and all. He ate at 5:30, went for his walk and was fine. (Stool was loose and he was eager to poop before his walk - uncharacteristic - but not the big D). I left him 15 minutes later to go to the barn. Came back at 8:00 and he had vomited everywhere - undigested, wh ole food. I know it was Dustin and not JJ because he looked very upset and when I tried to see if he was interested in a cookie, he turned away. (If it was JJ I would figure it was the antibiotics from the dog bite he got - but Dustin only had a scratch and some bruises).

My big concern is that last night I heard him chewing on something that sounded almost plastic. I went to check him and I thought he swallowed whatever was in his mouth - but I wasn't sure. Then I heard him chewing again and found on the floor what looked like - I know this sounds gross - a petrified piece of kitty-poop. It is possible that he found something behind the litterbox that is upstairs and I know my beagle always LOVED cat poop. I think he may have eaten whatever he had the first time.

If he had eaten the old poop, could it make him throw up 9 hours later? If it wasn't poop, it might have been a piece of plastic from something they had stolen off my shelf. If so, will it just pass? I know I sound crazy. But back when my Bridge Boy Jack threw up for a day or two on and off, I eventually found hair scrunchies coming up in the vomit. I was very lucky they came up.

On top of everything, I muzzle them when I'm out so they DON'T eat things - so the poor baby had to throw up with a muzzle on - but that's why there's no guard on them!!

I did get him to eat five or six little pieces of hot dog and a cookie which he kept down for the 20 minutes I stayed before I HAD to leave for work. I will go back and check on him.

Any thoughts? I'm not sure why I am so paniced about this.

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.

Guest TeddysMom

I know that is a real worry and I would keep an eye on him for today. If he keeps throwing up today, I would take him in for an exam. Have you tried giving him an acid reducer, that might help settle his tummy. I like to give baby food when my guys have tummy upsets. Good luck and keep us posted.

Guest racergirl435

They can still eat through their muzzles. I had a similar situation about a month and a half ago with Seymour. He couldn't keep anything down and it got to a point where he wasn't even keeping the bland diet (boiled chicken and rice) down and his pooh wasn't really pooh but more of a mustard colored ooze. After 2 days (it was over the weekend), I took him to the vet. I have no idea what he could have eaten or gotten into because we are very careful when we're not home to make sure he can't get to anything bite sized. In any event, it turned into pancreatitis. They kept him overnight and I was terrified I'd never see him alive again. He recovered very nicely and we've now eliminated some things from his diet and he has not had a relapse since. Never ever ever give your dog human food. Ever. Especially a greyhound. Their systems are so sensitive and if he's already throwing up the only thing that will really do is aggravate his system even more. I hope that's not the case here, but if he still has soft stoold and/or is still throwing up I would switch him to a bland diet. You can boil some chicken and rice and mix in some plain (not flavored) yogurt and see how he takes to that. Your vet may also have a bland canned food you can give him if you don't have time to prepare the chicken and rice. Sorry if I come on a little strong but after my last experience with this I am very passionate about the diet issue.

Lunchtime visit update - Ran home to check on him and gave him a very light snack. He is again interested in food. He ate the food (maybe 1/2 cup). We went for a walk. He urinated fine, but did not poop - I was actually relieved about that because he normally doesn't have to go at lunch time. I stayed home with hom for another 1/2 hour or so and he was still holding everything down. He also drank a little water!!!

Will keep an eye on him....keeping my fingers crossed.

Thanks!

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge

Update on Dustin....got home from work and he looked good. I gave him a small meal - and he was very interested and then ate only about half - but seemed OK...Took them for a walk - but no poop - but I figure all the food in his stomach from this morning came up the other way.

When I started poking around in the kitchen with my food - he got VERY interested - so his appetite is good - but being finicky with is kibble. I broke down and gave him a little pasta with some more kibble - and he ate all the good stuff and a little kibble....

But - most importantly - so far everything has stayed down AND I got a little, well formed poop!!!! (Though it was in my family room....but he gets forgiven this time).

Life as an animal mama (especially w/horses, too).....living to see normal poop!!! rolleyes.gif

Thanks for all the concern!! I'll update if things change.