Skunked!

Guest ctgreylover

Guest ctgreylover

Tony came in from going potty with a horrible chemical smell. started drooling then foaming at the mouth. looking very pathetically sad... I called 911 - thought he'd been poisoned! The smell out back was like a small fire nearby ... The fire dept the police dept and animal control were here in less than 5 minutes. I could not get thru to the er vet near me. - dont like them but when you dog is foaming at the mouth , any help is help = Well, much to my chagrin, it was a skunk but not like ANYTHING I ever smelled before! They looked everywhere but could not find the little stinker - told me I have to get a rabies booster for Tony. firefighters were even gagging! DD was about to throw up. Tony got a bath. Hates them but he seemed to realize it was making him feel better . My tiny house stinks.. I have candles going and dd is off to the store to by renuzits! funny thing is a/c officer said Tony might have chased it , greyhounds are very high prey drive, she was shocked when I told her Tony has a very very very low prey drive. He probably thought it was a new cat to befriend. he got some extra cookies and is drying off now.

Guest scfilby

Skunk smell up close is totally different then the regular dead on the road skunk smell. Our house and dogs got sprayed once when I was a child. Even the clothes in our drawers stunk. I was asked to leave school the next day.

You never forget that smell... Good luck I remember your pain.. :)

Guest ctgreylover

dd is a culinary student - she said she'll get sent home if she goes in smelly! its starting to smell better in here. he got it right in the face. His collar does not smell, strange!

Poor Tony. Give him some extra cookies - he's had a rough night too.

cookie.gifcookie.gifcookie.gif

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

Guest MyBoys
:eek We have been skunked and I feel you pain, or should I say stink :rofl , sorry, I couldn't resist. There is nothing to compare that horrible smell to,if you can you need to open your windows and put fans on, hopefully you will air out in a day or so. Just glad Tony is okay. Edited by MyBoys

It'll come back for months every time he gets wet. Try the peroxide mix it is what we use on our patrol dogs when they get skunked, the officers keep the premeasured ingredients in a bag in their trunks to be ready

gallery_4518_2903_10073.jpg

Take the time to stop and smell the flowers - appreciate your everyday ordinary miracles

Carolyn, Faith, Jeff Gordon (aka Jeffy) and Oscar the chilla. Desperately missing our Stella, we'll see you later sweet girl.

Guest mcsheltie

Wash him in the peroxide mixture I always post. It gets skunk smell too.

Lg peroxide

2 Tb baking soda

6 drops blue original Dawn

You'll have to use quite a few bottles. Soak him in it and let it sit. Don't let him lick himself or he will puke!

Skunk smell up close is totally different then the regular dead on the road skunk smell. Our house and dogs got sprayed once when I was a child. Even the clothes in our drawers stunk. I was asked to leave school the next day.

You never forget that smell... Good luck I remember your pain.. :)

My dogs have gotten skunked a lot of times. They usually come in and try to pretend that nothing happened. When I put them right back out until I get the skunk remedy (hydrogen peroxide, baking soda and dish soap) ready, they realize that they are in for a bath.

Well, Shelby is not the brightest bulb when it comes to "hunting". One night she came in with the worst stench I have ever "felt" (yes I said felt). Her head was all oily and her eyes were tearing (as were mine). She held her head down (as if in shame) and didn't even try to pretend that it didn't happen. It didn't smell at all like skunk but I knew it had to be. She got the full treatment that evening and again the next morning. I made her sleep in a kennel in the laundry room for a number of days. Finally, after about 24 hours it started to smell like skunk. I had to throw away her collar and bedding. I even swabbed down the laundry room and everywhere else she had been with the hydrogen peroxide solution. Even 2 months later, I could smell a faint whiff of skunk whenever she got wet.

After I use the deskunking solution, I make a lather with a mint flavored baking soda and hydrogen peroxide toothpaste. I leave it on for five minutes or so. Then rinse well. The mint helps hide some of the remaining skunk smell.

As probably everyone knows, it is important to get the deskunking solution on as soon as possible. Once I was out of hydrogen peroxide and had to run to the store (about 30 minutes round trip). It didn't work nearly as well as when I did it minutes after the incident.

Jane