The C Word

Guest vtgreys

Guest vtgreys

My Duke is gravely ill. Until today there was a small hope that he was just battling a bacterial infection, but it does not look like that's what it is. About 2 1/2 weeks ago, he started having a little trouble getting up on the bed or couch, no problem, I just helped him up, I thought it was a combination of getting older (he's 11) and recovering from his dental a week before that. Last weekend he was getting worse, and had a hard time standing up by himself, I had to help him up almost every time, and he had started losing quite a bit of weight quickly. I started hand-feeding him anything he would eat - he would not touch his kibble at that point, but would eat canned food. I made satin balls for him, and he ate those for about a week at every meal and enjoyed them. Tuesday am of last week I took him to the vet, how gave him some IV fluids in the hopes of strengthening him a little and ran blood tests. Results came back Wednesday, with slightly elevated kidney values, moderately elevated liver values and a very high WBC. He was immediately put on 2 broad spectrum antibiotics. He continued to get slightly worse every day, and wouldn't eat the satin balls anymore either. I have an array of meats and other things for him in my fridge that would make a butcher proud. I had a nice big bag of chicken innards, he ate those for a few meals, then stopped eating those. I also picked up a roll of soft food for him, and he ate some of that. I cooked up a huge batch of chicken thighs/legs over the weekend, and he's been eating those up until this morning. Tonight he's refusing even those. I've checked in with the vet regularly about his progress, and today was the day by which he said there should be some improvement from the antibiotics. There isn't, and that means his high WBC means it's cancer. So now it becomes a matter of how long I can keep him comfortable - he doesn't seem in pain, no labored breathing or panting, and you can tell he wants to get up, but just can't. I'll have to take it day by day, and I can call my vet anytime. I am totally devastated - Duke was supposed to be with me for a few more years, he was the picture of health up until a few weeks ago. I just lost Jaxie and am still grieving over that.

At the same time, I'm busy acclimating a new guy in the mix, I rescued him off Craig's List this weekend. He's a wonderful playmate for Tessa, and the 2 of them are a real joy together. Intro of him and pictures to follow in a happier thread soon.

Please send some good thoughts for me and Duke to get through the next steps of this.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My heart goes out to you and your handsome boy. Sending gentle hugs for both of you.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I'm sorry. Sending hugs.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

I am so sorry to read this. I hope you have many more good days with your boy.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

I'm so sorry. I wish there was something more I could do. :grouphug

Casual Bling & Hope for Hounds
Summer-3bjpg.jpg
Janet & the hounds Maggie and Allen Missing my baby girl Peanut, old soul Jake, quirky Jet, Mama Grandy and my old Diva Miz Foxy; my angel, my inspiration. You all brought so much into my light, and taught me so much about the power of love, you are with me always.
If you get the chance to sit it out or dance.......... I hope you dance! Missing our littlest girl.

I'm so sorry for you....

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.

I am so very sorry to hear about Duke. Spoil him as best you can and give him a hug from me.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Guest Paige12

You probably have tried it, but what about the jarred meat baby food? That seems to be something that works. Keeping you both tucked tight in my prayers. Cancer sucks.