Snake

retiredracers

We said goodbye to our handsome boy, Snake... aka Smoo's Snake Eye, on Saturday. He was diagnosed with OS 2.5 weeksw ago and we chose to keep him comfortable for a little while because he wasn't ready to go just then. Amputation wasn't an option since his back end was weakened by something (I can't remember just now what the diagnosis was but it wasn't LS). We tried a few different pain meds but when he quit eating on Friday, I knew he was ready... he lived for food. He had some Three Dog Bakery treats and he loved them.

We began fostering Snake on a Labor Day weekend almost 10 years ago. He was not quite 2.5 years old and was so calm and laid back that after three weeks we decided to add him to our pack of three greys and a lab. He just fit in so well and was such a good boy. After signing the adoption papers, almost overnight, he bacame a VERY different greyhound... he was WILD, CRAZY and FULL OF LIFE!!!! It was like he knew he was ours and we wouldn't be giving him back!!!

He would run zoomies around our house for 10-15 minutes when we got home for work and would still be ready to go. We did agility with him for about 4 months but quit when he began having some sort of episode where he would have periods of blindness for 30-45 minutes the day after agility class. After numerous tests/exams, we decided that he put so much energy into running around like a nut that he stressed his system and brought on the episodes... but it was just a guess. He continued to have them periodically even after stopping but only once or twice a year if even that.

We made up the term "getting Snaked" for when he became so excited that he couldn't contain himself and he would jump on and nip (playfully) the person who caused his excitement. Actually it only ever really happened to my sister, Sonja, but it was really quite fun watching her try to get him under control. Of course, we didn't encourage that bad behavior and we worked on stopping it but it really was funny.

Up until last fall, when his back end gave out on him, he was still pretty wild and it took him a little while to realize that he just couldn't do what he thought he should be able to do.

A few weeks ago, we found out that Snake's picture will grace the front cover of the 2011 Celebrating Greyhounds Desk Calendar. What a wonderful memorial for our sweet boy!

Here's his calendar picture

DSC_1822.jpg

Here are some others taken over the years...

Relaxing on the beach

SnakeBeach2.jpg

Roaching in a chair

SnakeRoach5.jpg

A greyt head shot

SnakeCroppedblurred.jpg

Playing on the beach with his dad

SnakePlayingonBeach3.jpg

Sharing a couch at our Dewey hotel room with his two sisters, Flake & Crooke... he loved to snuggle with other dogs and with his humans

SleepingGreysDewey.jpg

A computer painted picture

SnakePainting.jpg

Snuggling with Flake

SnakeFlake.png

We love you, Snake!!! The house will never be the same!

Elphie, Kulee, Amanda, Harmony, Alex (hound mix), Phantom, Norbet, Willis (dsh), Autumn (Siamese) & Max (OSH) & mama rat, LaLa & baby Poppy! My bridge kids: Crooke & Mouse (always in my heart), Flake, Buzz, Snake, Prince (GSD), Justin & Gentry (Siamese), Belle (Aussie/Dalmatian mix), Rupert (amstaff) and Fred, Sirius, Severus, Albus, George, Hagrid, Hermione, Minerva, Marilyn, Wren, Molly, Luna, Tonks, Fleur, Ginny, Neville, Bill, Percy, Rose & Charlie (rats)

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

He was beautiful! I'm so sorry :(

gallery_12867_3348_20333.jpg
~Beth, with a crazy mixed crew of misfits.
~ Forever and Always missing and loving Steak, Carmen, Ivy, Isis, and Madi.
Don't cry because it's ended, Smile because it happened.
Before you judge me, try to keep an open mind, not everyone likes your taste.

I am so sorry for your loss. What a wonderful boy to have in your life.

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

I am so sorry for your loss. Snake was a very special boy. Thank you for sharing your photos.

Our angel Brandy was a Smoo's dog, too. She loved to do Zoomies, too.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Guest Mom2Shiloh

Do you ever 'meet' someone in this thread and feel Absolutely bereft that you did not get to meet them in person while they were here?

I'm glad you got to share lives with this special boy for as long as you did; knowing it's never a enough time, I offer my sympathy and admiration that you didn't make him go a day too late. It's always hard.

"Getting Snaked" reminded me of my boy Shiloh.... You had one beautiful soul loving you --- Run with the wind, Snake. I hope I get to meet you some day ..you're just my kind of greyhound!!

Guest K9Cookies

I can't believe Snake is gone. :cry1 I'll miss seeing him at your place and hearing his terrible cough/throat clearing sound. :( Silly, I know.

Run, pain-free, Snake. :gh_run2

I'm so sorry your handsome boy had to leave. Godspeed, Snake.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.