Help

Guest Greytluv

Guest Greytluv

Doni Rae's neck has been hurting. I took her to the vet yesterday. He manipulated both front legs with no discomfort. When he moved her neck side to side, she yelped. He thinks it's muscular and put her on 75mg Rimadyl every 24 hrs and 50mg of Tramadol every 8 hrs. He said if it's not better in a couple of days we would do xrays.

She's still in a lot of pain sad.gif I'm giving her 2 Tramadols every 8 hrs and that doesn't seem to be doing anything. She's walking with her head down and her legs seem stiff. (I think that's common with a neck injury. I have no idea how she hurt her neck :dunno) It almost seems she's getting worse. She lays down okay but cries when she gets up. She'll cry when she moves her head too fast. Should I give her more Tramadol or Rimadyl? I'll be calling the vet in the morning but want to try and ease her discomfort.

Any suggestions?

Guest greytbookert

I'm sure others will chime in very soon on how much Tramadol you can give. I hope she is feeling better soon!

When our Sahra hurt her neck, it was horrible to watch her in so much pain but she did get over it in time, I think it was about 1 week.

Guest Smiley

Once the pain is under control with meds, perhaps a chiropractic adjustment or accupuncutre may be helpful as a long-term treatment option. I hope she feels better soon.

I would touch base with your vet. Sounds like the NSAID (rimadyl) course might not be the treatment protocol for your pup. She might respond better with a corticosteroid like pred. Sadly, there needs to be a "washout" period between the use of the two drugs- which means there will be a short period were she needs to be off the rimadyl, however, she can continue the use of the tramadol safely. I would try the pred before I spent money on the radiographs--if she doesn't respond then radiographs would be the next step. In the meantime if your hound weighs 75lbs then, you can give her 75mgs of rimadyl by mouth twice daily--- give with food-- check with your vet in the a.m. Neck pain in GH's is not an uncommon finding. My own girl has had neck pain in the past- she did well with pred/tramadol but, it took a week before she felt better. We now only use a harness-- still buy my share of collars but, now they have a different function-- just to look pretty!

Edited by tbhounds

Guest boondog

Your poor girl! Dillon has what we finally figured out is spinal arthritis. Acupuncture has been amazing. Once you get the pain and/or inflammation under control, it might be worth a try.

Guest MnMDogs

You can give tramadol 3 times a day - every 8 hours if needed. But I would check the max dose with your vet. For my sister's 75+ pound girl the max is 150 mg a dose, for my Matty girl who was a few pounds lighter my vet told me 135 mg max per dose.

My sister's girl has neck/disc issues and also benefited quite a bit from acupuncture.

Edited since I didn't realize Rimadyl could be given more than once a day - I thought it was like Deramaxx which is once a day only.

Edited by MnMDogs

Ask your vet if you can add a muscle relaxer...robaxin/methacarbomal. Neck/back pain is just so hard to manage. As soon as they start to feel better they want to play and what they really need is rest, rest, rest. You may also want to switch from collar to harness when you're able to walk her again. It's also good to always keep meds on hand in case of a recurrance.

gallery_2175_3047_5054.jpg

Michelle...forever missing her girls, Holly 5/22/99-9/13/10 and Bailey 8/1/93-7/11/05

Religion is the smile on a dog...Edie Brickell

Wag more, bark less :-)

Guest Greytluv

Thanks for all the advice. I do walk her with a harness. I'll call my vet first thing in the morning. I hope she can sleep tonight. She's up pacing a lot. I feel so bad for her cry1.gif

Guest FullMetalFrank

I would definately ask about the methocarbamol (muscle relaxer)... You might also try warm, moist heat compresses. I hope she feels better soon; neck pain is no fun!

When Mandy had serious neck pain, we used Tramadol (150 mg 3x a day) and Robaxin. We also went to the acupuncturist for a couple of treatments. She was only on the high dose of Tramadol for a day after the first acupuncture treatment, at that point we went down to 100 mg 2x a day. I hope Doni Rae is feeling better today.

gallery_17374_2906_4494.jpg
Beverly. Missing my happy toy-flinging boy Sammy (Where's Mandrill), (8/12/2009-9/30-2021) Desperately missing my angel Mandy (BB's Luv) [7/1/2000 - 9/18/2012]. Always missing Meg the Dalmatian and Ralph Malph the Pekeapoo.

How is your pup doing today? It can take a day or two for the meds to work well and sometimes you just have to ride that out. If you see worsening during that time or no better after 48 hours, I'd be back at the vet, tho.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Long term I have found accupuncture to be outstanding. Neck injuries are common and sometimes they are much worse than a hoped for just pulled muscle thing. It can be very serious. Like one of the other posters on those greyts with neck issues a collar is only for decoration/tags and I use a harness. Hope your baby is feeling better today!

Guest Greytluv

Doni Rae seems better this morning. She only woke me up a couple of times last night. When she got up this morning she didn't cry as much. (Thank God) Maybe it does take some time for the meds to work :dunno I'll see how she is today.

Thanks for all your well wishes. I know they help :)

I am so glad she's feeling better this morning. It takes an anti inflammatory a few days to kick in so hopefully she will continue to improve.

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Every once in a while my Gracie will play a bit too hard outside. It's something in her neck/back but because it's so intermittent the vet said no xrays yet. We treat with the same mes and doses you were using. But we also have Valium for her and will use it if she's so uncomfortable that she can't rest. The valium, the other meds and limiting her outside time seems to do the trick.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Guest Mollysmom10

I hope that Doni Rae is doing better. Molly had a scare, spooked and fell down the stairs about 3 years ago. I was in the other room w/ my baby and didn't see it happen, had no idea how she fell - but turned out she had slammed her head into the wall so hard (there was a hole in the drywall) that she fractured some bones in her neck - they saw it the x-ray. I had her on Rimadyl and Tramadol for a while and had to keep her quiet - it was tough, especially when she would try and get up. It would make me cry to hear her whine when she would move, even slightly. We started raising her food/water dishes after that and walking her w/ a harness - slowly. It did heal however, and she had one reoccurence of neck pain about a year later.

Anyway, sending prayers for Doni Rae's recovery -- hope she's feeling better soon.

Guest luvdogs

I had something similar with my female. She would yelp in pain whenever she tried to get up and down and I could clearly see by her reaction it was her neck. I palpated all along the next with both hands and I actually was able to feel the "knot". I massaged the spot quite a bit over the course of two weeks, and with quite a lot of pressure. She would actually lean into the massage. During the two weeks she gradually improved, and eventually was completely fine. It is awful to hear them in so much pain. See if you can massage her neck and find a hard spot, which would be on one side, but not the other...hope she feels better soon.

Long term I have found accupuncture to be outstanding. Neck injuries are common and sometimes they are much worse than a hoped for just pulled muscle thing. It can be very serious. Like one of the other posters on those greyts with neck issues a collar is only for decoration/tags and I use a harness. Hope your baby is feeling better today!

Forgot to add that a BIOFLOW magnet collar from the UK really helped a lot too. Other US versions won't work as well as they're not as strong. I understand it is considered a Class 1 medical device in UK. I know it really works good as I tried a peep version and now wear one all the time. A few years ago Whole Dog Journal did an excellent article on it.

Guest Greytluv

Doni's much better. She was running and tossing her toy when I got home. Now the trick is to keep her quiet rolleyes.gif She was laying down after she ate and she got up and yelped. That was it tonight. Such a difference. Last night she would just lay there and cry sad.gif