Jj Got Bitten On Our Walk Today

JJ, Dustin, and I were out for an afternoon walk and went by a house we go by all the time. In fact, the guys who live there always come out and say "hi" to my boys. Today when I went by their dog started barking in the house. That dog never barks when I go by - in fact, I didn't know they had a dog. One of the guys opened the door and out came the dog attacking my two boys. I couldn't let go of either, because I was afraid Dustin would bolt. The dog was a mix - short and stocky with ears and muzzle like a shepard.

Anyway, Dustin got away unscathed though a bit scared. But JJ had a big puncture in his rear. The dog had no collar so even the owner couldn't grab him - it took the two of them to get him off. Once he actually made contact, he was coming more aggressively.

Took JJ to the evet. Because there's not a lot of tearing - and it looks like a deep puncture, he doesn't want to stitch. Rimadyl, antibiotics, icing now, and warm compresses later.

Poor boy.....

I am rattled. In fact, I really was not terribly composed through the whole thing because I felt helpless. This is not hte first time in the neighborhood this has happened. The grey next door had a nasty bite from a dog down the street that ran out of a house after her.

I actually, though I felt bad, tried to kick the dog off. I didn't have much choice - and my boy was getting hurt.

Edited by mychip1

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.

Did they offer to pay the vet bill?

I was in such a panic - I wanted to get him home and to the evet. The kid did immediately say "he's had all his shots" but I think even he was a bit shell-shocked. I know I should probably ask them to pay....

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge

Guest Energy11

Oh, he'd pay if it were one of mine!! angryfire.gif

I have a HUGE pet peeve about UNLEASHED aggressive dogs! Energy was attacked by an off leash Dalmation once, (my landlady's dog). I had to kick the crap out of it, to get it off. She paid my vet bill and the dog was never off lead again!

I am sorry you had to go through this! WHY do sooo many people think all dogs get along???????????? They don't ... trust me, I worked at a vet for four years. We were very very careful in the kennel. mad.gif

I'd definitely get this person to pay the vet bill, and suggest he put a collar on the dog, and NEVER let it out again!

Good luck! Sending lots of hugs your way!

I feel so bad for you! I hope JJ heals super quickly and that you get that moron to pay the bill! I could have been in that situation just the other day but, luckily, all was okay. I was just at a provincial park for the week and, one evening while walking Summer in the dark, we were approached by two (TWO!) off-leash dogs, both with the Shepherd look to them but obviously not purebreds. The owner was quick to yell out, "don't worry, they're fine". Sigh. Hubby was holding her leash at the time and put himself in between Summer and the two dogs, prepared to kick them. He's 6'3" and quite capable of keeping them away if need be. I told the owner, "no, it's not fine and those dogs should be leashed". The law in the parks here states that ALL dogs must be leashed ALL the time. Although I was annoyed that the dogs were loose, I was glad that the man responded immediately to me and hurried his dogs along. Idiots.

SummerGreytalkSignatureResized-1.jpg

Lisa B.

My beautiful Summer - to her forever home May 1, 2010 Summer

Certified therapy dog team with St. John Ambulance

Rhode Island. ROT ROH.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest Olivia0208

I would go back to that house, ask to see the vaccination papers and see if the dog has a collar on now, rabies tags etc. I would tell them I can't afford to pay for the damage that their dog did and ask them to pay the vet bill. If they refuse tell them it's illegal in your town (check first) to have a dog off leash with no collar or tags and stress the words ILLEGAL unless you want to right out tell them you WILL report this to the police.

People have to take responsibility, and this situation has happened waaay too often. Hope your baby is doing well. I read that Hornet spray is better than Pepper spray as pepper spray is more likely to blow back at you.

I would go back to that house, ask to see the vaccination papers and see if the dog has a collar on now, rabies tags etc. I would tell them I can't afford to pay for the damage that their dog did and ask them to pay the vet bill. If they refuse tell them it's illegal in your town (check first) to have a dog off leash with no collar or tags and stress the words ILLEGAL unless you want to right out tell them you WILL report this to the police.

People have to take responsibility, and this situation has happened waaay too often. Hope your baby is doing well. I read that Hornet spray is better than Pepper spray as pepper spray is more likely to blow back at you.

Yes...off leash is illegal - and I am often hearing of issues regarding vicious dog hearings, etc.) I certainly don't want to report the dog - though my knowing about it puts me in kind of a bad spot - because if the dog does it again to someone, because I know about it, the "city" is sort of on notice in a funny way - but work aside, the reality is that it is just maddening to have to be fearful to walk my own dogs properly in my neighborhood. And my poor sweet boy ends up suffering.

Update - Finally went down to check to see what was in my front door when I got back from the evet. Turns out it was a note from the young man with the dog offering to pay vet bills/damages. I actually feel much better about that. He left his number and wants me to call him. He must have known which house we live in. Calling him now....

Edited by mychip1

It may be difficult for you emotionally to go back to that house.

Write down everything you remember. Make a copy of the vet bill and get an estimate for future care (if it may be needed). Take pictures of the wound.

File a report with your local animal control office. Ask if they, as a matter of procedure, go to the house and speak with the owner.

No second chances for this dog now. The owner must pay the bills.

I think by taking these steps you will begin to feel as if you have regained some power over what happened.

Hope JJ feels better soon.

Editing to add I just read your above post. Glad the owner is taking responsibility. I think there might be a gray area as you describe your job with the city. Perhaps there is a lessor category that this could be reported in. It would be interesting to know if the dog has attacked preciously.

Edited by macoduck

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Just spoke with the young man who owns the dog. It's a four-year old norweigen elkhound. I didn't recognize the breed during the whole situation. Apparently the latch on his screen door was open and the dog pushed right out - which given that all I saw was the dog fly out of the house within seconds after I heard him barking, I could believe.

I guess the dog did have a collar on under all the fur - but he had trouble actually getting to it. He owns a chihuaua as well - but said that the dog has gotten more aggressive with larger dogs as he has gotten older. Said he used to take him to dog parks - but he got attacked at one - and since then has been aggressive w/other larger breed dogs.

He will be getting me the money within a few days. I told him to use the first bit of money he has to fixing his screen door and then pay me. ......I will donate half the money to Ohio State's osteo program. Been meaning to do it anyway - and maybe some good can come out of this ordeal.

In the meantime, JJ is OK - but looking a bit sad and worried. Dustin is fried, too.

Interesting question, Macoduck - considering that he said the dog was actually the victim of an attack - wonder how that got reported - though it was in another community. I do think there is some grey area - given that even though I'm on call 24/7, some time is still considered personal.

Edited by mychip1

Rhode Island. ROT ROH.

Yup! My exact thought....

large.rycezmom_Sig.jpg.c7b7915d082b1bb35
The more I see of man, the more I like dogs. ~Mme. de Staël
Missing my Bridge Angels Ryce, Bo, Jim, Miss Millie, Miss Rose, Gustopher P Jones (Pimpmaster G), Miss Isabella and Miss Star

Rhode Island. ROT ROH.

Yup! My exact thought....

??? Wow, is our state's reputation that bad?

Just noticed some bruising and a small scrape on Dustin. Called evet. They weren't surprised.....I think it may actually be from the dog's paws rather than teeth as it was jumping on them.

Update on JJ....seems to be doing OK. It is oozing - which I think is good for cleanliness.....though at some point it needs to close up. I know he wants to avoid stitching it.

I'm so sorry about JJ being attacked, I know first hand how much that can have long term effects. Mostly on me, not Sheila who was attacked. I finally broke down and bought a rechargeable Stun Pen. I carry it every day when we walk. I've had it for the better part of a year and haven't had to so much as hit the zapper to make a sound, though I have turned the on-button on twice. I hate the thought of using it, but I would if it came down to it. My dogs are not going to be hurt without a me putting up a big fight.

It's really decent of the guy to have come to your house and offer to pay the vet bill. I hope he takes some of that energy and works with his dog, takes an obedience class, etc.

Give you pooches some extra love and treats. Poor babies.

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

Guest RobinAZ

I think with puncture wounds they have to close from the inside out. If it's stitched it doesn't heal as well, which is probably why the vet is hesitating. I hope your dogs will both be okay - how traumatic for everyone. You know I don't even like to take my dogs for a walk that often because I see too many dogs running around off leash and it scares me. I am happy the young man stepped up and is offering to pay.

Guest MyBoys

I am sure your vet gave you meds to put on the wound, but if you want to try something different try getting some EMT ointment or spray, one of my boys had a tussle with one of our new greys a few years back and ended up with a pretty good size puncture wound that my vet did not want to stitch. I had oral antibiotics and ointment from my vet, after a few days the wound was still weepy so I started spraying EMT on it, I was amazed at how quickly the wound then healed, it really is a great product for rapid healing.

Guest Mollysmom10

I'm sorry to hear about the awful experience. I can see how you would be rattled. I have had some similar cases and am always amazed at how so many people do not leash their dogs. I'm glad the owner is taking responsibility -- hope JJ gets well soon --

I am sure your vet gave you meds to put on the wound, but if you want to try something different try getting some EMT ointment or spray, one of my boys had a tussle with one of our new greys a few years back and ended up with a pretty good size puncture wound that my vet did not want to stitch. I had oral antibiotics and ointment from my vet, after a few days the wound was still weepy so I started spraying EMT on it, I was amazed at how quickly the wound then healed, it really is a great product for rapid healing.

Evet gave nothing topical just oral and an injection. I will check with my vet tomorrow and ask about emt. Thanks!!

Edited by mychip1

I know it sucks to have to be 'mean', but how would you feel if one of your neighbors told you that the same dog attacked theirs and they didn't report it? And how would you feel if the same dog attacks another dog knowing that you also did nothing to stop it?

I hope JJ heals quickly and uneventfully :hope :hope

gallery_2175_3047_5054.jpg

Michelle...forever missing her girls, Holly 5/22/99-9/13/10 and Bailey 8/1/93-7/11/05

Religion is the smile on a dog...Edie Brickell

Wag more, bark less :-)

I can understand how scary that was for you. I hope JJ is doing better. I carry Direct Stop Citronella spray at all times, and I have used it. Don't feel bad about trying to kick, you were just doing your defensive/protective move. I would report the incident to the police, just so it is on record. I know someone, who had her two non-greys attacked by two pit bulls that ran out of their house - she reported it to the police and the animal control person came, issued the offending owners a summons and told them they were responsible for the vet bills (which, amazingly, they did pay.)

Good luck.

That is very scary! I am sorry you had to experience and JJ was injured. I hope he heals quickly.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Guest greytloves

Oy. Norwegian Elk Hound. When I worked at the vet I never liked them. Always seemed they would try and bite me! Don't feel bad about kicking the dog and if you are walking two at a time a stick may not be the thing to carry but I would follow others advise about the direct stop or something like that.

Sounds like you have an opportunity with this young man and his dog to help teach him how to secure and control his dog better.

Deep puncture wounds can get infected quickly so keep an eye on it.

Edited by greytloves

Guest mcsheltie

That is beyond scary. It is good to see the young man stepped up and took responsibility. That is one of my pet peeves about people "now days".

I will not walk my dogs around my house or any neighborhood anymore. It is more dangerous than the dog park. One gentleman I see walking his dog daily always has a golf club with him. I put them in the van and drive to a county or state park and walk the trails. But I always carry my walking stick. If anyone has had bad experiences doing this.... don't tell me!

Hope you can start to relax soon!