Diabetic Greyhound Kennel

Guest ibeakila

Guest ibeakila

Anyone have any suggestions, where I could kennel my diabetic greyhound in Mass while I am away. He does need to be watched, in case of any seizures or medical emergencies, by a vet? Thank you Julie

Guest Energy11

I'd probably say a vet's office, BUT, with a vet OR a kennel, you have no one there overnight! How about a pet sitter? Maybe someone who could come STAY at your house? There are people who do that. Good Luck! I feel the same way about leaving my Curfew who we think gets petit mal seizures.

Good Luck!

We did have several diabetic pets when I worked at the dog daycare. We did not charge extra for insulin shots, but some boarding kennels do.

If it were me I would look into a higher end boarding kennel something like where I used to work with webcams in the suites (which go for $36 a night here in Dallas). If your dog doesn't like open play (and many greys don't) s/he could be placed in a 3' X 6" run during the day between turnouts -- better than a cage at most vets.

...or maybe ask around at the boarding kennels, adoption group and vet for people that dogsit in their homes like I do. I charge $25 a night for them to hang out on my couch. I wouldn't charge extra for insulin. :)

Edited by Hubcitypam
gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

Guest KennelMom

You just need to find a place that will give the insulin shots. We never had to board our diabetic greyhound, but we probably would have opted for medical boarding at our vet.

You just need to find a place that will give the insulin shots. We never had to board our diabetic greyhound, but we probably would have opted for medical boarding at our vet.

Heather, what does medical boading entail? not being snarky, just curious as I have never heard the term. Like Energy11 said, unless your vet is an e-vet there probably isn't there someone there overnight. Does the vet run BG tests or other things during medical boarding?

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

Guest FullMetalFrank

Our regular vet clinic is 24-hour; there is always at least one vet and one tech on site, 24-7. I would think there are other places like that? Not strictly an emergency clinic?

Guest KennelMom

Heather, what does medical boading entail? not being snarky, just curious as I have never heard the term. Like Energy11 said, unless your vet is an e-vet there probably isn't there someone there overnight. Does the vet run BG tests or other things during medical boarding?

There's a 24 hour vet in our area (regular vet by day, emergency vet by night)...they don't do regular boarding but will do what they call "medical boarding" meaning they will board dogs with medical needs. We used them a couple times with Grandpa because of his LP. It's cheaper than what they charge for overnight/ER patients, but more than what you'd pay at most regular kennels. It's basically just being able to board your dog at a place that can provide medical care if needed.

The gal that watches our dogs now is a vet tech (at the aforementioned 24 hour vet, actually)...she probably could have handled Quilty's diabetic needs b/c that's just a shot twice a day. But a dog like Grandpa could have had a breathing episode at any time so closer monitoring was preferred in his case.

Guest Energy11

I'd either go for the 24 hour staffed veterinary facility, OR a stay-over pet sitter, if this were my dog. As Heather and a few others mentioned, MANY vet tech do moonlight, and could handle the insulin shots and recognise other problems. EMTs and Paramedics , can also do the above. You might even have one in your area who could sit as well. With their 24 hour shifts, they are pretty flexible. Good Luck!

The OP is in Massachusetts, where I am. I don't know of any clinics open at night except the e-vets. I'm not sure if Angell Memorial Animal Hospital boards, but they'd be your best option I'd guess. E-vets don't board here (no one there during the DAY), and I've yet to run across a regular vet who is staffed at night. There is a place in Natick that has someone living above the clinic, but I don't believe she checks on the animals.

Did you adopt your hound from a group here? I'd try contacting them. They might have a member who would be willing to keep your dog while you're away.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

There is a woman in RI who boards. She oversaw all the care at the adoption kennel in RI, so she is very breed-knowledgeable as is her husband who was in the industry. They board them right at their house. If you are interested, PM me and I can give you her number. Don't know what her policy is on taking in special care pups, but you might want to give her a call.

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.

I'm a pet sitter in CT. I don't have any vet tech training, but if you're willing to teach me what needs to happen, I'm happy to do it. I've had a few people teach me to give their animals insulin shots. I'm only saying this, because it may be worth calling some pet sitters and see if they are willing to learn and do it. I would also want someone to sleep over, esp with a special needs dog.