Not Sure What To Do Now- Advice Welcome

Guest greymama002

Guest greymama002

I came home Thursday and Pulsar had 2 wounds, one on his back and the other a few inches away on his side.

WoundedPulsarday100021-24.jpg I brought him to the vets and she said they looked like bite wounds, but she couldn't say for sure; and there was also a small scrape on 1 of his feet, so he possibly might have got caught somewhere. But I checked all over the house, and couldn't see anywhere where he could have hurt himself. Neither Tina or Ruffie had a mark on them, so if one of them did bite him, he didn't even fight back. I am worried about leaving them now, in case there was some kind of scuffle, next time it could be worse. We have had Pulsar & Ruffie for 2 years, and Tina for almost one. They have always gotten along fine, and I have always let them roam free while I am gone. Should I muzzle them all now, baby gate in separate areas? He is just the sweetest boy & I feel so sorry that this happened to him. What should I do now when I leave them?

Edited by greymama002

Guest PhillyPups

I am so sorry this happened. :bighug

When I leave mine, they are muzzled - even play can escalate. I liken it to putting on my seatbelt when I get in the car - never plan on having an accident, but they can happen.

Guest Energy11

Sorry about this, too! Surely does look like bite wounds.

When we both worked, we muzzled all of ours when we left for work. Better safe than sorry. We were luck, and had no problems. They had a doggie door, too.

Good Luck!

Guest Lovey_Hounds

I got my older 2 hounds 3 months apart and they are best friends but things can get out of hand sometimes and they have bad days too. Vegas chewed up D.C pretty bad last summer they had been living together about a year at that point with no issues but i had them with a dog sitter/kennel and they choose NOT to use the muzzles as i asked and vegas has a lot of of anxiety issues we were working through at that point and D.C can be a pest so he had a melt down and she bugged him she he chewed her up pretty good. As good as they all get along when i am home i still muzzle when i am not home just incase something crazy happens.

Guest TeddysMom

I would muzzle them for sure and keep Pulsar seprated from the others at least until he heals up. A pack seems to want to pick on the sick, injured or weaker pack member. I'm so sorry this happened, I'm sure he will heal up just fine. :bighug to you and Pulsar.

Absolutely muzzle. Now that they've gotten in to it once, they may do it again. Make sure all toys and food are up. Most fights happen over those two things. You can bring out the toys and stuff when you are there to monitor things.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest greymama002

Thanks. Everyone seems in agreement about the muzzling. There's just one thing that scares me about the muzzles being worn for hours at a time. Earlier this week I came home to a large pile of vomit just full of lots of grass on the rug. But what if someone vomits up lots of grass wearing a muzzle; would there be a risk of choking, or would the vomit just come out? Sorry to be gross, but this really worries me.

Not unless there is a stool guard in it. I wouldn't use those for in the house.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Thanks. Everyone seems in agreement about the muzzling. There's just one thing that scares me about the muzzles being worn for hours at a time. Earlier this week I came home to a large pile of vomit just full of lots of grass on the rug. But what if someone vomits up lots of grass wearing a muzzle; would there be a risk of choking, or would the vomit just come out? Sorry to be gross, but this really worries me.

Good question!!!

Wish that in my days as a rep more people would have asked that.

But as Judy said, unless there is a stool guard in there, the normal muzzle is safe (or is it save)

Guest greymama002

Ok, we have the basket muzzles without stool guards, so tomorrow morning we'll be going out for awhile and I will use the muzzles and see how it goes. Tina is the only one who resists wearing one, so I will put on a little PB for her to lick off.

Thanks!

Guest greymama002

Well, we went out this morning & left with the 3 of them muzzled. When we returned a few hours later, Tina had gotten her muzzle off :ohno ! The boys were still wearing theirs, and totally defenseless if Tina was the perpetrator! There was one more hole left to tighten the strap, so I'll do that for next time, but I guess I will need to separate her off from the boys now. She is a very strong-willed girl, but at her age of 11ish, I hope she wouldn't be able to leap over a baby gate!

poor pup :huh , I would vote baby gate,, I know there are a lot of experienced grey owners here,, but I love baby gates,,, as long as your's won't jump them,,, when my grey came I was nervous to leave all 4 home together,,,, so I baby gated the grey in the living room alone,,, and the rest of the pack had free run of the house,,,, came home early one day and in through the front door, rather than the back door,,,,, found the 2 "birders" in the living room sleeping with the grey,,, they had jumped the gates :lol then and there,,, baby gates down,,,, I have read here about a pack turning on a sick or injured pack member :blink: I have never had that happen,, in all my years,, :blink: when our last old lab was near the end,,, 2 of this pack,, laid with him for hours on our living room floor,, never thought of one turning on the other,,, :huh but am glad for this info,,, will sure remember this

Edited by kydie

I'm going to be the voice of dissent here. I DO NOT muzzle my dogs when I'm at work. They live together, this is their HOME. If I had a new dog in the house, or if there were issues, I wouldn't have a problem muzzling.

After having my 2 greys unmuzzled for 3 years, I came home to bitemarks not that different from yours. Puncture wounds. Not serious, but something happened. And obviously stopped before anything major happened. With my greys - I speculated that Diana stepped over Sobe while he was sleeping (she knew better). He nabbed her in the chest, she nabbed him in the ear. No stitches or vet visit required. It sucked, I was upset, but the dogs were fine.

I watched them closely for a few days- but whatever it was - resolved itself.

I think these little altercations probably occur with any dogs that live together - the difference is - with greyhounds - we SEE every time it happens. With bulkier, or heavier coated dogs - it doesn't show.

I wouldn't fuss too much about one incident. Just pay attention that there isn't an issue.

Guest Greyt_dog_lover

If you have a hound that can take the muzzle off, just get two zip-ties and zip the strap to your hounds collar in two places. That will make it very difficult for your hound to get the muzzle off. I have a girl that can take her muzzle off and that is what I do.

Chad