Super Spooky New Girl's Companion Died Suddenly

Guest Shermanator

Guest Shermanator

Sigh. Its been a rough 2 months here. We lost our first greyhound, and our heart dog Sherman to osteo 6 weeks ago. 3 weeks later we adopted Travel. She is a spooky little 2 year old girl. We knew that when we adopted her, but we were okay with that, and confident our other greyhound would help her come out of her little shell.

Travel has had a rough little life. She never raced, since her and her sister (who also is in the adoption program we adopted Travel from,) were too spooked to run. It also turns out Travel also had a broken rear hock. (She's healthy now.) She was adopted to a family, and returned after a month, the said they could not housebreak her, and she chewed up stuff, and had severe separation anxiety. She went back into foster care. I knew her foster mamma, who told me she was fine with a dog door- no accidents, ever. (We have one too, and she never had an accident.) Her foster mamma said she did chew things, but duh- she's a puppy! (2 years old) Of course, she's going to chew stuff if its in her reach. As for the separation anxiety- no problems - she was fine with their other greyhounds.

We adopted her. She's been a good girl. Super shy, but absolutely fell in love with our other greyhound, Patton. She followed him everywhere- all over the house. At the bark park, she was attached to him. :) It was so cute, and Patton was super patient, and finally perked up, and started to return to normal, after losing Sherman. She was still super shy with us, but getting better. At first she'd run and hide when we went near her, and after 2 weeks she started to come up to us for ear scritches. :)

After 2 weeks, we went on vacation. My MIL stayed at the house with the dogs, so Patton and Travel did not have to go to the sitter, and could stay at home. :) When we got home, Travel was relatively happy to see us, but reverted a little, back to running when we came near her. We understood it, we had left her, she was confused. We'd slowly work with her, it would be okay. That was last Sunday (the day we came home.)

Monday, Patton developed a nasty limp. Osteo, again. We let Patton go yesterday. It was so sudden. We had Travel with us, when Patton died, we wanted her to understand what was happening. Yesterday, after we got home, she holed up in the bedroom, and stayed there all day. We took her out to the pet store to try to perk her up a little, but she was terrified, and shook and drooled the entire time.

We are adopting a companion for her (and us) next Friday. However, in the meantime, how do I help her? Do I shut off the bedroom, and make her lay in the great room with us, or let her in the bedroom all day, where she hides? What do I expect out of her? I know she is confused, and mourning Patton. However, while Patton stuck to me like glue after Sherman dies, little Travel runs from us.

Its been a rough 2 months as I said. I know little Travel is not Sherman or Patton, and that's not what we expect out of her. We just want her to blossom and be happy here. :)

Thanks- Kelly and little Travel.

Guest PhillyPups

:bighug to you. I am so sorry you lost your boys.

I would let Travel have her space - I do this with Moe, a spookish girl, she has a corner she can "cave" in for her security. Moe will never be the confident, in your face kind of hound Gremlin and DonnieDude are. She will never be the confident, okay, you are here and I want attention now thank you, okay I'm done, kind of hounds AnnaBanana and DonJuan are - she is Moe. She comes around slowly, and had quite a setback after the 4th of July fireworks, but she is coming around again.

I would spend some time in the room with her, have some time she has to be with you, and let her get comfortable.

Guest scfilby

I'm sorry. I also would not force the issue right now. Travel is going through a tough time (as you all are). Give her space and she will come around soon. Once her new companion arrives, I'm sure she will cheer up.

That's so sad so soon. I think what you need to do with a spooky dog is be sure you're on body language talking terms with them. Maybe you have Turid Rugass's "On Talking Terms With Dogs", but if not you can read her short and informatively useful article in the link.

http://www.canis.no/rugaas/onearticle.php?artid=1

I, too, think they need to be allowed their private den space, but only for a reasonable amount of time. When it's food time or walkies time they need to come out and keep as much of the routine going as possible.

Also there are going to be a lot of stress chemicals in the air after the horrible time you've all been thru and dogs can pick up on these as well as altered body language.

It will come right sooner if you get back into a routine.

Let her be.

You know she's safe, and unless she stops eating/drinking/using the dog door, I think she needs to grieve in her own way. An awful lot of changes in a short period of time.

I'm so sorry for your losses. What a rotten few months.

Good luck with your new guy or gal!

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Guest Lovemyhound

Awww.. that is so sad. My heart just breaks for her. No advice from me other than to listen to others wisdom and lean on this group for support. :(

Best of luck to you and little Travel.

I also say just let her have the bathroom. :grouphug

Steak is not a shy or spooky dog at all but he loves the solidarity of the bathroom. I put a dog bed in there and he comes out when he needs but he is most comfortable there so I let him.

gallery_12867_3348_20333.jpg
~Beth, with a crazy mixed crew of misfits.
~ Forever and Always missing and loving Steak, Carmen, Ivy, Isis, and Madi.
Don't cry because it's ended, Smile because it happened.
Before you judge me, try to keep an open mind, not everyone likes your taste.

Guest TBSFlame

I would say let her be. We all grieve in our own way. As long as she is eating and drinking and she will have another companion soon. My thoughts are with you.

Guest greytloves

ditto with all above, with one small addition. I would encourage her not to hide the entire time. And I would encourage continuing the routine she had which probably did not consist of hiding full time. Don't make her, but reward her to not spend ALL her time alone. If she reverts back so quickly, I would be worried that even in the next few short days she may really set herself back. But not to force a thing and not to take her anywhere. Let her stay home and be safe and give her lots of treats, encouragement and love to want to spend some time with you guys. Otherwise I would worry that the introduction may not go too well.

Edited by greytloves

I have to agree, I'd just let her be for the time being. After we lost Emmy, Andy was lost. Even in a house with so many other dogs, he needed to grieve for his Emmy. We just let him march to his own drummer until he felt better. I think she'll come out of it once you bring the new dog home, until then, let her grieve in her own way, forcing her may make things worse.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

First I am so sorry for the horrible time you have had recently. Just try to take heart in knowing that this too shall pass. I too highly recoommend the BACH flower essence remedy's. Bach's Rescue Remedy will help her not just in this crisis but with her spookiness too. I gave it to Goldie everyday for 2 years and he went from being a spooky little guy who barked like a girl to an outgoing boy dog who wolfed boldly. Technically you're not supposed to use the RR everyday but I knew that if I didn't get him "quieted down" he would certainly suffer illnesses as a result of all the stress from being so scared. There are specific BACH essences for grief and loss -you can find them identified in books or practioners who use Bach's Flower Essences etc. but they may not be readily available like Rescue Remedy probably is. Rescue Remedy works so good almost everybody sells it. It is completely safe-just put 4 drops in her mouth from time to time or even put it in her water. The homeopathic Ignatia Amara 30C would probably help ALL of ya'll. I can't tell you how it works but when I was so utterly and completely devastated by Slim's crossing over a holistic Dr. suggusted it to me and I took it and it really helped. I think you are doing the best thing you possibly can by just loving her and trying to be understanding. Practically I would probably leave her alone to grieve wherever she wanted most of the day but would lovingly insist that she come out for a meal or a walkie briefly. Praying that ya'll can yet find peace amid the storm.

We had much the same thing happen when we adopted Cash (our super spook). She did race succesfully, but did not find retirement to be the peaceful and restful experience it should be. We adopted her knowing her problems and willing to work with them.

She had been with us for a month when we suddenly lost our oldest female grey. Cash had been making good strides towards noralcy until then. She completely fell apart. Having two other greys here (both older than her and both males) seemed to not make much of a difference.

I agree to let her stay where she feels safe for now. She's had so many changes recently and is probably just overwhelmed. Keep her to the same schedule, if at all possible, maing sure she's getting enough to eat and drink, and going potty OK. Otherwise, let her be. Visit he in her safe place for brief periods to encourage her and let her know you're there. Give her yummy treats if she'll take them.

If you haven't picked out a companion yet, you may want to take her along to see if she has a preference. Cash definitely prefers other girls -mostly I think because they are always kept in gender-based groups in the kennels and farms. An older, female bounce might be just the thing.

Good luck and I'm so sorry for your recent losses.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Guest KansasGrey

Perhaps entice her to come to you for a piece of cheese. Our shy foster wouldn't come near us until I started offering a little piece of cheese now and then. She would not take a dog cookie but was a sucker for cheese. That opened the door at least. After three weeks she will come over to me if I'm sitting down. Eye contact really scares her. Sorry for your loss.

Guest Shermanator

Thanks, everyone. I just feel like crap. Dh and I took her on a day trip today. (We needed to get out of the house, badly.) Travel was good. She walked lovely, seemed to be a little scared, but we stayed close to her. I think she enjoyed herself. I don't know. She's bad in the bedroom. She tolerates me petting and loving on her, but runs from us. If we can catch her laying down before she runs, she lets us pet her.

I know we are all greiving. I desperately miss Patton, and want her to love us. I know it will take time, I'm just very sad.

I'm so sorry for your loss. YOu've had a hard time of it :grouphug

I have nothing but add, but I'm sure she loves you, it will just take her a little while to be able to express it. Time, patience and love :)

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

I would continue with the essential parts of your daily routine -- eating, outside for potty, etc. -- and otherwise leave her be. If part of your daily routine is playing or outings and she doesn't want to, I wouldn't force her. Sending many hugs.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Kelly- You got some greyt advice above. I just want to say how sorry I am about your tremendous losses and so close. sad.gif

Travel will be OK and by aking care of her now when she needs you, she will help you get through this.

Looking forward to Friday's pictures!!!wink.gif

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

I can only imagine how very sad you are. It would be of so much comfort if your little girl could respond to you the way your dear boys would have. I know. But she can't of course. She needs so much time and patience which I know you have, but boy the timing really sucks. You are doing everything right for her though. Leave her be for now. Continue with all the usual things for shy/spooky dogs, remembering this is a long term project.

I am so sorry for the loss of your boys.

gallery_7628_2929_17259.jpg

Susan, Jessie and Jordy NORTHERN SKY GREYHOUND ADOPTION ASSOCIATION

Jack, in my heart forever March 1999-Nov 21, 2008 My Dancing Queen Jilly with me always and forever Aug 12, 2003-Oct 15, 2010

Joshy I will love you always Aug 1, 2004-Feb 22,2013 Jonah my sweetheart May 2000 - Jan 2015

" You will never need to be alone again. I promise this. As your dog, I will sing this promise to you, and whisper it to you at night, every night, with my breath." Stanley Coren

does travel hate the crate??? if not, i would keep a crate, a safe place erected in the living or family room with a bed, water pail hanging and toys and treats in it. she might just feel safe in it, keep the door open and let her go in.

annie, our shy foster who bonded w/ felix(that's why she was adopted) initially hid. i did have a "safe crate" availabe at all times and limited the space she had to roam. i made my biggest break thru keeping her in the kitchen while i cooked. it's a small place and i was able to cook and focus on her and lots of treats were readily availabe. to this day she lies down plop in the middle of our 6x9ft kitchen relaxed while i open the fridge, oven, cabinets and chop away. she used to spook, jump and feak every time i opened the fridge or a drawer. i basically reconditioned her to tolerate sounds and movements thru positive reinfocement.

she also used to hide in the yard. dh would go and find her,put her on lead, then run with her into the kitchen(now a positive place) when i called her. then i would feed her a hand full of kibble. we would do at least a dozen practice runs back and forth and repeated it daily until she figured out comming in was not so scarey.i had non-skid mats down to make the transition as secure as possible.

sorry to hear about your losses. things will work out with time, space and patience.