Bloating After Dental

Afternoon Update.

Bailey seems a little more stable now albeit she is still somewhat weak in her back end and has trouble walking perfectly. But once she gets going, she seems to be fine. She had a 1/4 can of soft food at noon and we will give her a little more in a bit. She is burping and she does drink water without problem. She is still panting a bit at times, but I am considering this normal at the moment due to the fact that she was very bad yesterday. One thing I forgot to mention when we brought her to the e-vet was her tummy was so distended that is was pushing on her vena cava - and she was nearly in shock. :( So I know that it's going to take some time for her to feel better again.

She is able to sleep soundly and she is showing signs of being her typical self. She has three shave marks on her legs - a combination of the dental and then catheters from the e-vet... which she is beginning to lick. This has proven to be the biggest hurdle with her in the past - the licking of the shaved area until they are raw... fun times. But we have a game plan for that too ;)

Will let you know how she does over the next few days.

Thanks again for your good thoughts. I hate that I had to come here for this, but it's nice to be back on GT.

eva

Glad to hear she is doing better! For the licking of the shaved areas try Atropine eye drops. I learned about them on here, my bridge boy Clark would lick shaved areas raw also. A couple of Atropine drops and he wouldn't lick them. You have to get them from the Vet but a small bottle lasts a long long time.

Sue ,Sky and Dood, Bridge angels Clark, Gypsy, Dreamy and Sneakers, Oshkosh,WI Heartbound Greyhound Adoptionsept2013sigcopy_zps8ad6ed09.jpg<p>

Eva, I'm just seeing this now, and I'm so glad to see that pretty Bailey is improving. Sending healing thoughts to Bailey as well as hugs to her, you and Tim.

I was just looking at the picture I took of her when I first met you. Remember I fell in love with her pretty face? She showed me what Peanut might look like when she grew up. Peanut was only 3 months old at the time, and now she is 5. Where has the time gone?

Edited by foxysmom

Casual Bling & Hope for Hounds
Summer-3bjpg.jpg
Janet & the hounds Maggie and Allen Missing my baby girl Peanut, old soul Jake, quirky Jet, Mama Grandy and my old Diva Miz Foxy; my angel, my inspiration. You all brought so much into my light, and taught me so much about the power of love, you are with me always.
If you get the chance to sit it out or dance.......... I hope you dance! Missing our littlest girl.

Gosh, Eva - just seeing this; how very scary but so glad everything is working out! I hope everything continues on the upswing. The last time Max had any sedatives (not anaesthetic but something to relax him before getting stitches) he had a heck of a time coming out of it. Vet had to give a drug to reverse it, and still he was out of it for 24 hours. He is 12, too and has always been slow to come out of anaesthetic. has me worried about his next dental...

Hugs to pretty Bailey - glad she is recovering!

My boys, together again...

cedarlodge2010027_zpsc250b3bf-1_zps9f4d4

A hui hou kakou, my loves

Sunday Morning Update.

So yesterday Bailey slept most of the afternoon soundly. I had to jump out to help my mom with something so Tim stayed home with her. He saw me off from the driveway and when he got to the back door, there was Bailey girl waiting for him. Which was nice to see. Her motility is back a little stronger than before, but I am still worried about her appetite. She didn't want to eat anything yesterday except canned pumpkin and this morning she would only eat dried liver treats. I am going to nip out this morning to get some baby food and see if that will appease her. She isn't drinking as much water as she was a few days ago, so I want to make sure she is hydrated.

On top of all of this, I am due in three week with our first real live human baby ... we joke that he may be half greyhound ;)... so this added stress of Bailey not doing so well is really freaking me out. I just want our old Bailey girl back - dirty teeth and all :(

Glad to hear that she seems to be doing better w/the panting - but it's just very scary when they don't want to eat. Could her teeth be bothering her on top of it?

I agree with your concern about fluids, too. Good luck to you. Lots of prayers.....

Edited by mychip1

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.

Nice update Eva. And a baby :jaw that is so exciting! Congratulations to you and Tim. I'm not worried, if it is half greyhound you both have all the skills you need to raise it. :lol Seriously you will make incredible parents.

Casual Bling & Hope for Hounds
Summer-3bjpg.jpg
Janet & the hounds Maggie and Allen Missing my baby girl Peanut, old soul Jake, quirky Jet, Mama Grandy and my old Diva Miz Foxy; my angel, my inspiration. You all brought so much into my light, and taught me so much about the power of love, you are with me always.
If you get the chance to sit it out or dance.......... I hope you dance! Missing our littlest girl.

Eva & Tim, hope your sweetest girl is feeling better and better. Congratulations on the upcoming baby!

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

On top of all of this, I am due in three week with our first real live human baby ... we joke that he may be half greyhound ;)... so this added stress of Bailey not doing so well is really freaking me out. I just want our old Bailey girl back - dirty teeth and all :(

So glad to hear that Bailey is doing better; I really hope she'll be back to herself soon - but this!! This news above!! OMG - congrats you guys - how exciting is that??!!!! And how added stressful - sheesh, talk about rough!

Hope you'll let us know how things turn out in a few weeks - and don't worry, as long as there's no tail, half greyhound would be fine! ;) ;)

You guys are funny! Half greyhound would be just fine with me too - sleeping 18-20 hours a day? perfect!

Bailey has me wrapped around her paw - little stinker. We tried a variety of options yesterday but nothing appeased her until....I found the magic bullet. She won't eat anything at the moment that does not have grated dried liver treats on top. You know, the ones that cost a million dollars! :) So last night, she ate the 3/4 of canned food with shaved dried liver on top. And then this morning, I offered her her regular food and she refused it until I grated dried liver on it. Unreal :) she went out a did her biz and is now protesting for a walk... which is too early in my opinion, but she is pretty stubborn... which is lovely to see. We will get her out for a walk again once she is eating a little more stable.

Thanks so much for your good thoughts and advice on this. They were all helpful and you helped to put my mind at ease.

Oh thanks for the wonderful update on thebow.gif princess/queen/ Lady Bailey! bow2.gif She sure has the right name. Be sure there is not a pea in her bed! So glad she's doing well. That makes my day. Thanks! PS- KV Vet Supply is the cheapest place I know to get quality dried liver- ~$20 for a big ole tub.

Edited by racindog

• 4 weeks later...

Update: Sept 14

So it's been almost a month since Bailey had her episode of bloat after her dental and I am pleased to say that she is back to normal.... man that was a long month. She is eating well - (her normal food), playing, resting and demanding her long hikes out on the trails. All of this is great news and we will be sure to have a serious celebration on Oct 13 for her Champagne birthday - 13 years old on the 13th. :):cheers If there is one thing that I would share from this experience it would be GO WITH YOUR GUT and never think you are over reacting - no matter what anyone tells you - we know our dogs best and know when they are "not right". Had we not, we would have lost her :(

thanks for all your responses and good thoughts.

Edited by LadyBailey

... we will be sure to have a serious celebration on Oct 13 for her Champagne birthday - 13 years old on the 13th. :):cheers

Woo-hoo! I love, love, love lucky 13!! Cheers to you, Bailey. :cheers

If there is one thing that I would share from this experience it would be GO WITH YOUR GUT and never think you are over reacting - no matter what anyone tells you - we know our dogs best and know when they are "not right". Had we not, we would have lost her :(

thanks for all your responses and good thoughts.

Ditto! Perfectly said.

Isn't it about time for some baby news?

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Funny you ask... I am in LABOUR! Just killing time on the computer and trying not to think about it!. the dogs on the other hand are like, "are we going for a hike today?" ummmm... "no" sorry guys.

Will let you know when the part greyhound is born ;)

eva

Funny you ask... I am in LABOUR! Just killing time on the computer and trying not to think about it!. the dogs on the other hand are like, "are we going for a hike today?" ummmm... "no" sorry guys.

Will let you know when the part greyhound is born ;)

eva

woo hoo!! for both the good update on Bailey AND the baby-on-the-way news!! :baby:baby Will patiently (well, probably not!) wait for the news!!! :offwall (I admire you GT committment too -updating us while in labour - nicely done!) :wow

Great update and Congrats on the munchkin :D I hope your labour went smoothly and that you're both doing well!

Jennifer and Beamish (an unnamed Irish-born Racer) DOB: October 30, 2011

Forever and always missing my "Vowels", Icarus, Atlas, Orion, Uber, and Miss Echo, and Mojito.

OMGosh!! I am just reading this all now and the bloating after dental has ME worried!! Hurley had a GVD recently and had his stomach tacked as well. Now he is staring at a dental cleaning and I am desperately trying to play catch-up and brush or spray his back teeth every day!! Hurley is only 7 so he is no senior but this situation you experienced means he may have problems in the future. He has a knack for suddenly getting sick or having a reaction plus we have never had any procedures done at our regular vet yet. So, I am in worry-mom mode. At least I can express my fears without too many repurcussions but my husband and some of the vets know I get a lot of fear from posts at GT. Everyone means well but they often take everything as worst-case-scenario!! :eek

So, anyway, I have expressed my concerns now. Lol. Thank you for updating on Bailey's wonderful progress!!

Congrats on the baby?? You must be quite busy.....I hope everything is well!!! :colgate

Bow Wow Wow Yippie Yo Yippie Yay :)

Siggy4.jpg

Johanna with hounds: Woodie (Molly's Marvin) (Grenade X Kh Molly) and Petra (Make Her a Pet) (Dodgem By Design X Late Nite Oasis)

and forever missing Hurley (Jel Try Out) (Gable Dodge X Kings Teresa) with Kalapaki Beach in Kauai as the background

Just caught up on this thread and I'm amazed! Here it is the 18th and no baby news! So glad that Bailey is back to normal - no more shaved dried liver necessary on her food, thank goodness! That one made me laugh out loud! Best wishes to your entire family - human, greyhound or some combination of the two! :lol :lol :lol

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead