Bloating After Dental

So Bailey (12 years old) had her dental yesterday and the vet said everything went well. She lost two small teeth and the others were fine.

When we picked her up at 4:30 I noticed that her tummy looked a little bloated, but I figured that she was probably like this due to the surgery etc. Also, her legs looked like they had taken a hose to her because they were completely soaked from her panting all over them.

So we went home and by 5:15 I thought for sure she was bloated. Called the vet and they said, she was fine when she was here. We decided to keep an eye on her because she managed to settle. By 7:30 we were at the e-vet and it was confirmed that she was bloating. She bloated two and half years ago and we actually had the surgery to have her stomach tacked at that time. So we were lucky that nothing happened yesterday with her stomach flipping... even though the vet said that it is a possibility.

She spent the night at the e-vets and they said that she had a quiet night - sleeping and only panting when she had to pee or felt a uncomfortable. We picked her up at 7:30 this morning and she started shaking and could barely stand and started bloating again. The e-vet (who was amazing) picked her up and the pressure on her belly forced a burp and a fart and a pee. We got her to the back and sat her down where we sat with her for an hour waiting for her to settle and decide on what we were going to do.

During this time she burped a few times and managed to settle down.

The vet recommended that we take her home where she would be less anxious and of course if anything changed to bring her in.

So we brought her home and she has been able to rest for most of the day and only is uncomfortable when she has to pee or burp. When we take her out for a pee, Tim has to carry her and walk beside her because she is completely wobbly and can't manage to walk straight - she is weak. Her panting seems to bring on the bloat. Tim has managed to burp her - literally by tapping her ribs as if she was a baby. and that seems to pass the gas.

I am going on here... but I guess my question is what do we do now?

I am afraid that she might not recover from this;( and I feel terrible for choosing the stupid dental for her.

She hasn't eaten in two days - she has some ensure yesterday evening, but it seems like anything that goes in her causes her to bloat up.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

eva

Oh gosh. I don't have any experience with that sort of thing but I can and will be praying for her! Don't get down on yourself. You operated only out of love and she knows that and love is never wrong. It is that same love that will enable her to recover. Nothing is more powerful than love. getwell.gifhope.gif (Sounds to me like first vet place was negligent in discharging her in the condition she was in.)

Edited by racindog

Guest TeddysMom

You might get some Gas-X and try giving her that to relieve the air in her tummy. If she is not much better, I would take her back to the vet before they close for the weekend. I would hate for you to have a problem and have to rush her to an Evet. I can't believe that they sent her home since they admited that she could bloat.

Guest Paige12

I'm so sorry!! Having lost one greyhound to bloat and just recently dealt with a grey who bloated with food, I can relate. This is not your fault!! Everyone with seniors goes through the questioning period before we do it(dentals). We also have given Gas -X, I think that's a good one or the Mylanta for gas. Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers, sorry no advice on what to do. You will know what to do if she keeps suffering. Beth

Edited by Paige12

The e-vet first said that we should probably leave her with our regular vet for the day but then we decided against it since they were the ones who originally sent her home in this state to begin with. The e-vet was comfortable with us taking her home after the hour that we spent there this morning, because she seemed to settle. He is actually on call for the weekend, so if anything happens we are more confident taking her back there rather than our regular vet.

She has been slowly seeming to get better compared to what she looked like this morning. She is sleeping soundly, laying completely on her side - which I think is a good sign, because if she was in pain or uncomfortable I know that she would not be in this position.

Her eyes seem to be looking better too - not glazed over and druggy looking. She is also pawing us for rubs when we sit with her. I am calm for the moment because she is resting well.

The other 3 dogs have been amazing - very calm and quiet, so that is a huge help to her and us.

In regards to the Gas - X the e-vet was hesitant to "prescribe" that because at time he couldn't say for sure why she was bloating. We suspect it was the stress of the surgery and the drugs and the panting - aka swallowing a ton of air.. her xrays looked normal aside from the air her tummy when they were taken. I will ask the e-vet again, who I will call at 6pm tonight if he thinks maybe giving her something like gas-x is now an option since we have a little more detail on when the bloating feeling occurs.

She needs to get some nutrition into her, so I am thinking maybe Ensure is the safest, since she is drinking water - this would be a good substitute. ... I think?

Any other ideas would be great appreciated.

Guest scfilby

How is her Temperature? The reason I ask is that a classic sign of reaction to anesthesia is the symptoms you describe (minus the bloat) plus extreme elevated temperature.

If she is coming around now, then thank goodness. I'm sorry this happened. Very scary. Good wishes..

Guest Energy11

The e-vet first said that we should probably leave her with our regular vet for the day but then we decided against it since they were the ones who originally sent her home in this state to begin with. The e-vet was comfortable with us taking her home after the hour that we spent there this morning, because she seemed to settle. He is actually on call for the weekend, so if anything happens we are more confident taking her back there rather than our regular vet.

She has been slowly seeming to get better compared to what she looked like this morning. She is sleeping soundly, laying completely on her side - which I think is a good sign, because if she was in pain or uncomfortable I know that she would not be in this position.

Her eyes seem to be looking better too - not glazed over and druggy looking. She is also pawing us for rubs when we sit with her. I am calm for the moment because she is resting well.

The other 3 dogs have been amazing - very calm and quiet, so that is a huge help to her and us.

In regards to the Gas - X the e-vet was hesitant to "prescribe" that because at time he couldn't say for sure why she was bloating. We suspect it was the stress of the surgery and the drugs and the panting - aka swallowing a ton of air.. her xrays looked normal aside from the air her tummy when they were taken. I will ask the e-vet again, who I will call at 6pm tonight if he thinks maybe giving her something like gas-x is now an option since we have a little more detail on when the bloating feeling occurs.

She needs to get some nutrition into her, so I am thinking maybe Ensure is the safest, since she is drinking water - this would be a good substitute. ... I think?

Any other ideas would be great appreciated.

I think Gas X extra strength, would be an EXCELLENT idea here! Couldn't hurt, that is for sure. I would guess the "bloating" is caused by her taking in too much air with the heavy panting. Our Cari, who is extremely thunder-phobic, pants like that during storms. Before we started giving her Xanax, her stomach seemed to become distended from panting and taking in air. I did give (2) Gas X, and they helped.

I am sorry you are going through this. I'd give the Gas X just to be on the safe side ... it couldnt' hurt!

Good Luck! Sending lots of hugs and prayers!

I chose Phazyme gels over gas-x personally when I had my Dane. Pierce the gel with a safety pin and squirt it in -- 10 of 'em for a bloating Dane, then rush to the vet (you know that part!) If she's tacked, she shouldn't torse, but the swelling of the stomach is still enough to cut off blood supply from one end of the dog to another (you know this too obviously :thumbs-up )

You or whomever mentioned, stress and rapid, gulping air intake seem to play a part so the mechanism of her bloat may NOT be gas, just air, but the simethicone won't hurt if/when she starts to bloat up again.

Angie, Pewter, and Storm-puppy

Forever missing Misty-Mousie (9/9/99 - 10/5/15)
Fort Wayne, Indiana

Could it be that she wasn't intubated properly and she had oxygen introduced to her GI system instead of her lungs?

Donna
Molly the Border Collie & Poquita the American-born Podenga

Bridge Babies: Daisy (Positive Delta) 8/7/2000 - 4/6/2115, Agnes--angel Sage's baby (Regall Rosario) 11/12/01 - 12/18/13, Lucky the mix (Found, w 10 puppies 8/96-Bridge 7/28/11, app. age 16) & CoCo (Cosmo Comet) 12/28/89-5/4/04

Guest Energy11

Sure could have been part of it! The tube is supposed to pass through the vocal cords into the trachea, but sometimes can go into the esophagus. With humans, you always check tube placement by listening for lung sounds, and then, over the belly.

Hope it wasn't that!

Sure could have been part of it! The tube is supposed to pass through the vocal cords into the trachea, but sometimes can go into the esophagus. With humans, you always check tube placement by listening for lung sounds, and then, over the belly.

Hope it wasn't that!

God. what if it was that? then what? I would imagine the vet would never know now and if they did they wouldn't admit to it :(

If she wasn't tubed correctly she would not have stayed under for her dental prophy. Trust me- the tube was placed correctly. She most likely bloated do to nerves and panting while in recovery. She might need a little ace to settle her nerves and let her sleep. Food can wait as long as she's still drinking.

Guest ChasesMum

If she wasn't tubed correctly she would not have stayed under for her dental prophy. Trust me- the tube was placed correctly.

:nod doesnt mean it was placed right the first time - it happens, but it definitley was placed right if she was under for a dental. They should always be checking too - every tech I ever worked with always checked.

Gas-X is the name brand of simethicone, which can be used on brand new people babies so there is nothing in it that can hurt, especially at this point. I would give that in a heartbeat.

Edited by ChasesMum

Guest MyBoys

I believe as long as she is drinking she will be okay for a day or so not eating, why not try some baby food and see if she will eat that, I am pretty sure that won't give her gas and if her gums are a bit sore it will be easy for her to eat.

Edited by MyBoys

X-strength Phazyme is good to have on hand. 5-6 caps is not too much to give at once. If keeping her calm & withholding food seems to keep her from bloating for now then perhaps by tomorrow she will be OK.

Consider that anesthesia has anticholinergic effects on motor neurons, including those in the GI system. This can greatly effect motility. If things are not moving through the GI tract at the usual pace or in a coordinated way, bloat could be the result. By 12 yo a dog's GI tract can be slowing down anyway & anesthesia would only compound that. My guy suffered GDV a couple years before a neurological condition started, our battle with chronic bloating. He had real problems with anesthesia. It seriously contributed to his already existing problems with bloat, difficulty urinating & hind end weakness. We just had to be extra careful & extra watchful until it was completely out of his system. Stress only makes it harder. If it continues you could ask the vet if this is a possibility. Reglan or even Axid may be enough to help. Could even do something kind of 'creative' by trying some neostigmine.

Personally I would be seriously inclined to give Axid(nizatidine) a try right now since it is OTC & has both acid reducing & promotility qualities. Well, for that matter so does Zantac(ranitidine) though it did not help my guy as much as Axid did. They have anticholinesterase (sp?) properties which might counteract the anesthesia may have on the GI tract.

From WSAVA, "Gastrointestinal Prokinetic Agents—Acetylcholinesterase Inhibitors (e.g., Nizatidine and Ranitidine)"..."Nizatidine is a newer H2-receptor antagonist with a potency similar to that of ranitidine. The current recommended oral dosage of nizatidine (2.5-5.0 mg/kg/day)" ... "Nizatidine stimulates gastric emptying and colonic contractions at gastric antisecretory dosages mainly through its anti-cholinesterase (AChE) activity." ... "Treatment with ranitidine would be beneficial not only by inhibiting gastric acid secretion but also by accelerating gastric emptying. Therefore, ranitidine-like nizatidine, has efficacy not found with some of the other H2-receptor antagonists in the stimulation of gastrointestinal motility."

Hope things are much better by now.

Guest rachel2025

Hi There,

I have no knowledge of bloat, but wanted to weigh in on the baby food. My vet recommended Gerber turkey and turkey gravy flavor for Pike's sensitive belly. He looves it. Might be a nice and easy way to get some food in her.

Best wishes for a quick recovery!

Morning everyone.

thanks for your replies and advice and good thoughts.

I spoke to the e-vet at 6pm yesterday - he asked that we call him with an update. He was pleased with the afternoon she had and felt that it was really all the anesthetic and stress that triggered the bloating and that if she managed to carry on like she was yesterday with recovery, she should be good to go in a few days. he did say, don't ever put her under again - which we agree with ;0)

Yesterday afternoon Bailey spent the day sleeping in about 2-3 hour intervals. We made sure the house was quiet and she was able to rest peacefully. When she needed to pee - she would start panting so TIm would carry her out. By evening - around 10pm, she still wasn't able to stand up by herself when getting up so we had to help her back end up but she was more than happy to walk herself out the door. Once standing on the grass, it looked like she got her bearings even more and then off she went for a pee. We have two stairs that lead to the back door and Tim has been carrying her up and down them for the last 24 hours. Last night she attempted to climb them herself, but we intercepted that brave attempt ;).

We hit another milestone last night, when she was finally able to get into her own bed and lay down without Tim setting her in. This is all good progress I think.

She had an uneventful night and even managed to rearrange herself without our help... I found her sleeping in a completely other position this morning, so that is also good news.

This morning, she had a few small bites of some soft food, but then started to push it away with her nose when she had enough. She is laying completely laterally and even went into REM a few times and is also sitting up without panting at the moment, so we are starting to see progress in her comfort level.

I do have some extra strength Phazyme on hand, but she is maintaining her tuck and not looking too gassy at the moment, so we are going to hold of on giving her anything right now. I picked up some more Ensure to see if she wants that instead of water. Although she is drinking, so that is also positive.

Thanks again and I will let you know how today goes.

Hi There,

I have no knowledge of bloat, but wanted to weigh in on the baby food. My vet recommended Gerber turkey and turkey gravy flavor for Pike's sensitive belly. He looves it. Might be a nice and easy way to get some food in her.

Best wishes for a quick recovery!

Thanks! I will try that too if needed. We had to feed that our dear Carrier when he wasn't doing well and he loved it. Eat it right from my hand as it seeped through my fingers. Yummy :)

Guest needlenosemom

Don't have any advice, but keeping you and Bailey in my prayers. We are on our 4th greyhound, the oldest lived to be 7 1/2. We had other issues, but not bloat.

Guest scfilby

I so glad to hear Bailey is feeling better. :clap I would take her in once she is up and about for blood work to check liver and kidney function. To me this really sounds like a bad reaction to the anesthesia with the bloat as a secondary issue.

Excellent news! Give her a couple days & she will really surprise you in how well she can bounce back. Do not be surprised if at least some weakness persists for a couple weeks. As long as she is headed in the right direction she will be fine. Quite a scare you all have had. Good on you for recognizing this before leaving the first vet's office & monitoring her so well. You saved her, at a minimum, a lot of discomfort & worst case you just plain saved her.