Laryngeal Paralysis And Hemangiosarcoma

Guest Heehoo

I have lost 2 to hermangio sarcoma. The tumor ruptured on Bool, no hint whatsoever that anything was wrong. I came home & he was extremely sick. Two days later I had to let him go.

Dear began losing weight & you know in greyhounds when they only lose a pound it appears to be 100. He was skin & bones within days & I thought it was a tooth problem, he would literally run out of the kitchen at feeding time. He had no appetite what so ever.

I took him to the vet on a Thursday, he was running a fever of 104, diarhea, no appetite. They put him on an IV & he finally ate. By Monday he was depressed & his abdomend was extended, he was filling up with pus & blood. Aspiration showed only blood & pus, NO cancer cells. After surgery & the removal of a tumor that my vet said was the size of 2 cantelopes & weighed 4 lbs, Dear did well. This was on a Tuesday, but by Friday the results came back, hermangio sarcoma. When I looked up the information it was not a good out come.

He came home on December 17, celebrated his 9th birthday on the 18th. He was home for Christmas, but the week after he went down hill & lost his battle.

Before the surgery, my vet had xrayed his lungs, and they were clear, but after Christmas, you could tell his breathing was labored & he was struggling. He lost his appetite & would not even eat baby food or ice cream. He was depressed also.

Regarding the bleeding issue: your Vet should look into Amicar. OSU uses for surgery on greyhounds and we needed to use it on one of my greys after amputation.

Glad you mentioned Amicar. I was fortunate enough to attend a lecture given by Dr. Couto a couple of years ago. (Dr. Couto is one of the best lecturers I've ever seen!)

Oh yes, I am very familiar with Aminocaproic Acid/"Amicar" (trade name). A number of people in our area have been sharing the OSU information with our local vets. I was finally able to get Aminocaproic Acid for my girl's last surgery, but it was days after her surgery. In the future, I will make sure it's in my hands immediately before my hounds' surgery. Especially since "bleeders" can start bleeding during surgery or within several days after surgery. I especially don't want to be in a bind without Aminocaproic Acid late at night after regular vet and pharmacy are closed. Now to try to get our local E-Vet hospital to "stock" it.

My most sincere thank you to each of you who have responded to all my questions. Every word of every story has been extremely helpful to me, and for others who do a future "search" on Laryngeal Paralysis or Hemangiosarcoma. I'm sure I will re-read this medical thread during my girl's on-going challenging journey.

A special thanks to "BoandLazMom" for adopting a 12 year old sweetheart; and to all who adopt seniors. Every Greyhound is sooo deserving of a loving home as part of a family.