Dog Having Accidents

Guest luvdogs

Guest luvdogs

Hi everyone; My male has been with us for over a year now. In the past few months he has had a few accidents. We were a bit confused because this is supposed to get better, not worse :blink: he had never had an accident the first 6 months he was with us. He had quite an accident the other day, even peed on our wall, my dh is NOT impressed. We pulled out the crate and decided we would crate him in the night and while we are at work (he gets his morning walk and lots of time outside when we are there). I called dh and asked him to stop by home on his lunch to let him out. Lo and behold, he had an accident in his crate!!! he had never ever done this in the past. I am taking a stool sample to the vet in the morning. How likely is this to be worms or something of that sort? Anyone have a dog that had similar symptoms that was cured by a dose of antibiotics?? I am so worried that this could be an on going thing. Thanks!

Edited by luvdogs

Has he had a urinalysis? I would take in a urine sample as well as stool sample.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Get a little cup (I like a well washed and dried yogurt cup or butter container with a lid), put doggie on leash, take doggie outside to some nice place, put cup underneath when dog goes. Midstream catch is best. :)

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest luvdogs

You have all convinced me, I will take a sample of both urine and stool and see what we can come up with. I hate to say it, but I am kind of hoping that it is something as simple as this and he will be "cured" with some medication. Otherwise, I am not sure what the heck to do next!! Thanks!

Guest luvdogs

I took in a urine AND stool sample this morning. Just waiting for a call from the Vet - they were running the tests just as soon as I dropped it off. I have to wait for a Vet to call though, I guess the techs aren't allowed to tell you the results...so I wait.

I took in a urine AND stool sample this morning. Just waiting for a call from the Vet - they were running the tests just as soon as I dropped it off. I have to wait for a Vet to call though, I guess the techs aren't allowed to tell you the results...so I wait.

Did they tell you the results would be in that quickly? My vet sends samples to a lab for a full workup.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Guest luvdogs

darn!! the tests came back fine!! she suggested I give him a diet high in protein and easily digestible carbs - ie rice and lean hamburger. Does anyone else have any ideas why this could be happening? He has not had a change in diet, and his stools are very puddle-like, no other big changes in his life. She suggested the heat may have something to do with it, his crate is in a cool part of the house. I would love suggestions if you have them!!!

Guest MyBoys

Maybe try using a belly band and see what happens with that, one of my boys out of the blue started peeing in the house :dunno , did all the tests and everything came back normal, so I tried the belly band and that seemed to stop the house peeing. As for his loose stools, I would try what your vet said with making some changes with his diet. GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!

Edited by MyBoys

Guest luvdogs

Thanks for suggestion above, but the peeing is not the main issue, he has only done that a couple of times, the pooping is the big problem, or so it seems. I even came home at lunch today to let him out and he went out and peed, but did not poop. I just got home from work and he has pooped AGAIN in his crate. I feel so frustrated :(

Just because stool test was negative, it doesn't mean that there isn't something there. Whipworms only release eggs sporadically, so they don't always show up in tests. It won't hurt your dog to give them panacur (several treatments are necessary at precise intervals for whipworms). Giardia is another that also requires several tests to identify.

You might also try Metronidazole (Flagyl). This is used to kill various organisms and often has a positive effect on unexplained diarrhea or soft stools.

Lastly, it could be a food allergy. Try switching your dog to a limited ingredient diet. If you can't afford a prescription limited ingredient diet, try Dick Van Patten's Natural Balance Venison and Potato. It only contains two possible allergens (the venison and the potato). Food allergies can start at any time. So even if a food was good in the past, an allergy can pop up at any age and cause problems.

It is very unusual for a dog to poop in its crate. Since you mention the soft stools, I would try the above remedies. A dog doesn't have to have runny diarrhea to "have to" go.

I'm betting that it is not a behavioural issue.

Jane

Guest luvdogs

That is very valuable information Jane, thanks! We are trying him on the hamburger and rice for the next two weeks. If I don't see an improvement in a week or so, then I will definitely take him to the vet, armed with your information and get him onto antibiotics! Let me tell you, he was pretty happy to get such a nice dinner!

Thanks!

Guest LindsaySF
Just because stool test was negative, it doesn't mean that there isn't something there. Whipworms only release eggs sporadically, so they don't always show up in tests. It won't hurt your dog to give them panacur (several treatments are necessary at precise intervals for whipworms). Giardia is another that also requires several tests to identify.
This. :nod I would Panacur him ASAP. (You don't need a prescription, you can get it at the pet store or online). You might do several food trials or bland diets spanning several weeks and it could turn out to have been worms all along. (Been there!)

Guest luvdogs

Thanks for all the advice, so far, the new food regime is going well, no accidents since Friday!! Tomorrow will be the true test, as it is a working day for myself and husband, so more time for my male to be alone. He will be crated, and we will hopefully come home to a clean crate!! If not then I will go back to the vet and get him on to a dewormer (we are in Canada and the Panacur is not available over the counter - I checked...) In the mean time, he is LOVING his new food, ground beef, rice and pasta as per the vets orders :rolleyes:

Guest luvdogs

AARRRGGHHH!! we thought we had this sorted out and now my female is starting with the same thing! Last night came home to a puddle of poop on the rug and then out in the yard she really had the runs. I am ordering panacur from the US today and having it express posted to us in Canada - still cheaper than a trip with both dogs to the vet and then prescriptions. I am sure this must be the issue, as it is too much of a coincidence for her to get the same symptoms a week later. We have been doing lots of reading on Giardia and it looks like Panacur is probably our best bet, so thanks for all the advice, you guys know your stuff!!! :)

AARRRGGHHH!! we thought we had this sorted out and now my female is starting with the same thing! Last night came home to a puddle of poop on the rug and then out in the yard she really had the runs. I am ordering panacur from the US today and having it express posted to us in Canada - still cheaper than a trip with both dogs to the vet and then prescriptions. I am sure this must be the issue, as it is too much of a coincidence for her to get the same symptoms a week later. We have been doing lots of reading on Giardia and it looks like Panacur is probably our best bet, so thanks for all the advice, you guys know your stuff!!! smile.gif

Well...as much as I'm sure you're not thrilled with the thought of her doing it too, at least that implies that it is not behavioral on his part. It sounds like with him it has been going on too long for it to be any kind of viral bug, etc....so maybe the Panacur will do the trick!! Good luck.

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.

Whipworms (and hookworms) can stay in the soil for years. I don't know about Giardia. So if your dogs have whipworms, I would change them to a monthly heartworm protection that covers whipworms (like Interceptor) as Heartguard and many others do not kill whips.

You might also want to consider doing a regular panacur treatment.

Lastly, be sure you get the correct info on when you need to repeat panacur. Dr. Couto at OSU had me treat for 5 days and then another 5 days exactly three weeks later for whipworms. I have read on the internet that there should be another treatment 75 days after the first but Dr. Couto didn't mention this (and I saw the info after I talked to him about it). I have also changed everyone to interceptor.

For those of you who have had dogs stay with me, don't worry. The panacur was a just in case thing. My Shelby, who has to eat a low protein diet, has had off and on diarrhea since switching to a kidney diet a year ago. I believe that all of the grains are causing the soft stools. Dr. C just wanted to make sure it wasn't parasites. All of her fecals were normal.

Guest LindsaySF

Definitely sounds like something contagious like worms or even bacteria. I hope the Panacur helps! I agree with Joejoesmom's advice also. Good luck.

The vet clinic where I work recommends Panacur treatment 3 days now, 3 days in 3 weeks, and another 3 days in 3 months. There are lots of ickies that don't show up on fecal float or smear...have to do a gram stain to catch them. I'm also a fan of the grain-free diet. My last boy (rip Gringo) had chronic

soft stool (pudding plops) and the grain-free diet seemed to be the only thing that helped.

Blessed is the person who has earned the love of an old dog.