Blood Panel And Testing For Tick Borne Diseases

North Carolina State is pretty much the gold standard for TBD testing. Blood panels can be done through any lab, or even in house at your vet's office. Here's NC State's site: NCSU

Oh, just to add: make sure your vet is familiar with standard sighthound/greyhound blood values :)

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

TBD: NCSU is the gold standard. Antech and Idexx (major commercial labs) have tick panels as well as CBC. Is it U of Alabama that has the vet school? They may offer reliable tick panels as well if cost is a consideration.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

If cost is a consideration also look into Prototek. You can have your vet draw the blood and overnight it yourself. My old vet was so impressed by them he later opened an account with them. It's been a few years (maybe 5) since I used them but then the "greyhound special" Lyme, Eherlichia, Babesia and RMSF was $55.

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

Thank you for this information. I'm not so concerned with price as quality of the testing. Right now I'm probably going to start with having Nadir tested for Toxoplasmosis, which I know is not a TBD, through the Vet School here at Auburn University. If that proves negative I just wanted to prepare myself for other testing to be done and where I should request it be sent.

North Carolina State is pretty much the gold standard for TBD testing. Blood panels can be done through any lab, or even in house at your vet's office. Here's NC State's site: NCSU

Oh, just to add: make sure your vet is familiar with standard sighthound/greyhound blood values :)

Yup!!

Wendy and The Whole Wherd. American by birth, Southern by choice.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"
****OxyFresh Vendor ID is 180672239.****

Guest ChasesMum

we have idexx here...

what i learnt was the snap test can be positive but that shows only that they have been exposed to it, then they run the pcr which checked for dna in chases blood.

if you look up threads i've started, you can see some of the info i got and a link to a tick email list that was great!

I really like Dr. Holland at Protatek, for speed, cost, and accuracy. When I overnight samples one day, I get the results back the next.

I also like that I can do "add-ons" for little additional cost (sometimes with different products being sent) - for Sabrina I did the tick panel, CBC, chem 14 and heartworm test all for under $150 (including the overnight shipping to her). That's an unbeatable price, and having the results quickly is awesome.

Lin, with Nick the Greyhound
Missing my girls Nadia, Tallulah, Cinderella, and my heart-dog Alexa, and my precious boys Twister, Loki, and Kevin