What Type Of Mix-Ins Do You Use?

Guest WhenIGiveIn

Guest WhenIGiveIn

So I mix something with my dogs food especially durning the summer months to make sure everyone is eating and getting enough food because we are really active durning the summer (daily running, lure coursing, traveling a lot ect.) So they always get something in their food. It all started because Maylea gets picky and will go on food strikes and decide not to eat for 2 days (trust me shes healthy just picky) so she will lose some weight and when talking salukis they can turn "ethiopian" looking pretty quickly. So that started me adding stuff to her food durning active season when she really can't afford to be on a food strike which of course means everyone wants some!

We currently rotate between:

Cottage Cheese

Scrambled Eggs (i can't do raw eggs they make me gag)

yogurt

Gravy (human stuff from a jar)

and Applesauce (strange yes but they love it!)

I also add salmon oil and they get turkey necks or chicken legs if I can't get necks as an afternoon meal once or twice a week.

The mix ins make it easy for me to give extra to those that need the weight and a little less to those that dont (the lazy greyhounds lol) but they still feel like they are getting something.

Just wondering what you guys mix in with your dogs food so I can add soemthing else to the menu occasionally. Oh and anything with peanut butter will not work Loki litterally gags at the smell of peanut butter and wont eat.

Let's see - green tripe, canned Wellness CORE, sardines, jack mackerel, organ meats (beef/chicken), scrambled eggs.

Irene ~ Owned and Operated by Jenny (Jenny Rocks ~ 11/24/17) ~ JRo, Jenny from the Track

Lola (AMF Won't Forget ~ 04/29/15 -07/22/19) - My girl. I'll always love you.

Wendy (Lost Footing ~ 12/11/05 - 08/18/17) ~ Forever in our hearts. "I am yours, you are mine".

Our Senior EZ goes on major hunger strike - so some of these mix-in's don't work for him and he holds out for meat only!! LOL!!!

Hot dogs

Gravy (human kind)

Yogurt

Shredded Mozarella

Pumkin (if we need a bit of "firming")

Beans for a little protein (beware the results)

Scallops and shrimp

Any beef leftovers from DH!!!

EZ - the finnicky one actually also likes vegetables, i.e. spinach

Edited to add: Also, a mix of one tbsp of olive oil and one tbsp of cider vinegar is suppoesed to be excellent for the coat - but you have to cover the vinegar up w/some of them!

Edited by mychip1

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.

I regularly add in yogurt (am meal), fish oil and Kirkland's canned food (pm meal).

I've also used eggs (raw), green beans, pumpkin, cottage cheese and left-over chicken.

If I'm doing serious add-ins, its usually protein (cooked meat with spinach, egg, dab of molasses). Otherwise: Good-quality canned, such as Tripett (a tablespoon goes a long way); canned jack mackerel until grammy threatened to change the locks if I bought it again (extremely smelly); yogurt; high-quality people leftovers -- anything in tomato sauce, or just a little tomato sauce, is a big draw here. We usually eat very plain -- no added salt -- so unless we're doing something oniony, leftover veggies, fruits, meats, grains are all safe for dogs.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Raw beef or bison (whenever I'm cooking it for myself, which is fairly often), canned green tripe (half a can of Tripett), jack mackerel, sardines, chicken hearts/gizzards, yogurt, cottage cheese, pumpkin -- add-ins only at dinner, so she doesn't get fussy about eating plain kibble, which is all she gets in the morning. I cut back a bit on the portion of kibble when the amount of add-in is substantial.

Several times a week she gets raw meaty bones for dinner.

Edited by PrairieProf

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad

Guest WhenIGiveIn

Sardines are a good idea, Im guessing I would skip the fish oil that meal then. I can't stand tripe so that wont work for me, I have to be able to feed them so thats a no go.

Guest NJgrey

Boiled chop meat, sometimes raw. If I can find whole turkey breast on sale I'll cook that and chop it up. Occasionally make up some dr. harvey's vegtable mix and throw that in. Pumpkin was nice to add when you could actually FIND it.

Guest essieandco40

We used to use yougurt mixed with applesauce, also given green beans, a little cottage cheese once in awhile, mackeral or salmon (we have a cat that also gets the advantage of these treats) scrambled eggs, olive oil and cheese, spaghetti with sauce (no onions) mac and cheese. He loved yogurt mixed with peanutbutter or mashed bananas also. That was a hot summer day treat.

check out this web site:

http://www.naturmix.com/pages/products/olewo.html

the dehydrated olewo carrots are excellent and the dogs love them. just add water, let them soak and a tad in the food is a tasty treat. the woman who runs this shop gets all sorts of interesting european products in and will help you choose what is right for your pup.

yougart and cottage cheese are my big treats,if any. oh, i known the saluki syndrome very well, they won't waste away, it looks scarey but that's the build. i used to have people stop me and threaten to call the humane society since my dogs were so thin. thin for a saluki- no, thin for a lab- yes.

Guest Jubilee251

I usually give each puppy a big spoonful of wet food with their kibble. If we have leftover rice or pasta, I use that too. Occasionally, I'll boil some chicken or cook up some ground pork/beef and mix it in. They also get salmon oil.

Guest greymama002

All of our 3's absolute favorite is Evanger's Whole Mackerel w/ Gravy canned food. There are 2 whole fish (no heads gratefully) with gravy in the can. Once a week or so, I split 1 fish with some of the gravy between the 3 dogs over their kibble; and it's a big hit.

Home cooked meat mixtures; chicken, turkey, beef mince (hamburger meat), lamb hearts, beef heart, few veggies if I have some handy, all cooked up in the pressure cooker.

Cottage cheese

Sardines

Pilchards in tomato sauce

Mackerel

Yoghurt

Sometimes canned dog food.

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

. Pumpkin was nice to add when you could actually FIND it.

Same problem here though autumn is coming.

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.

Guest greytloves

Ziwipeak daily

Salmon Oil daily

Raw Venision every now and again

canned Evangers 100% game-different types once a week as their "Sunday Dinner"

That is really it as I don't think add in's are a great idea if it is just things to make their food more tasty to what you think is more tasty. I think it tends to make picky eaters. Have used Sardines when I have a sick dog that does need to be enticed to eat.

Oh, my Lupus boy does get Nupro daily with his food and that has liver in it and smells to die for. Even I want to lick the bowl! So, that could be considered a add in.

Ok, I know this maybe an across the pond thing, but what are those?

Ok, I know this maybe an across the pond thing, but what are those?

:lol Yes, I guess it is! :lol

We make a distinction between young sardines and grown up sardines. Adult sardines are called pilchards here, and you can buy them in 450g cans with tomato sauce or brine. I feel there's no need to be giving my dogs salty stuff (although the tomato is a little salty) so they get them in tomato. :)

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

Guest PenguinGirl78
. Pumpkin was nice to add when you could actually FIND it.

Same problem here though autumn is coming.

Okay, so I'm not the only one having trouble finding pumpkin. I'd better stock up when I do see it! My pups like cottage cheese, white rice, canned dog food, yogurt...most of the stuff people already listed. I use the add-ins because Simon is a picky eater. Shelby will eat anything that doesn't try to eat her first. My dad buys them ground turkey and boils it and separates it into little serving-size containers. He and my mom both spoil them rotten!

Guest bellenzo

This is a great thread; I'm always looking for new things to add. Currently I do yoghurt, sardines (canned in water), canned dog food. Mila is sometimes very finicky and then I might also add small pieces of cheese and if things are really dire and couple of dollops of whipped cream.

At one time or another I have tried almost everything others have mentioned above. I never got the mix right because these guys normally had loose stools. I think my female grey is lactose intolerant and my male cannot tolerate vegetables. I gave up trying to figure it out. I have now found something that is totally working (both ends) for these two. Simple - I use Eagle Pack Holistic Select Radiant Adult Health Anchovy, Sardine and Salmon dry kibble. I grill fresh hamburger beef patties (a few at a time so I am not doing this constantly) break up a a patty, wet the kibble with water and sprinkle the meat over. They absolute love this and eat every morsel. And the 'finished product' is just a sight to behold :lol

Phew. This has taken sooooo long to come up with. I sure hope it continues!

Guest WhenIGiveIn

check out this web site:

http://www.naturmix....ucts/olewo.html

the dehydrated olewo carrots are excellent and the dogs love them. just add water, let them soak and a tad in the food is a tasty treat. the woman who runs this shop gets all sorts of interesting european products in and will help you choose what is right for your pup.

yougart and cottage cheese are my big treats,if any. oh, i known the saluki syndrome very well, they won't waste away, it looks scarey but that's the build. i used to have people stop me and threaten to call the humane society since my dogs were so thin. thin for a saluki- no, thin for a lab- yes.

:lol yep I have had the whole "but shes so skinny" conversaion with many different fat dog owners at the dog park. It generally sinks in pretty quickly when I explain and they watch them fulling full speed back and forth and around the several acer dog park while their dog is almost dying because he tried to chase them just once lol.