Harness Vs. Collar

Guest dee

Micah has been with us since January and while he is not quite as skittish as he was when we first got him he still spooks easily and while I use the martingale collar only, I'm starting to think that he would be safer when walked if he had a harness on. Can anyone tell me where to buy a harness that would fit a greyhound? Don't think a regular harness would bit given their deep chest measurements. Also, any hints on getting spooky boy into the suv would really help. We've tried treats, "desensitizing" him to the suv by me just sitting on the tailgate with him wandering around outside (on leash). The only thing that works is lifting his eighty pound front legs onto the tailgate and then scooping his rump. He then loves the car and settles down immediately! Thanks

I am a bit believer in harnesses. They are safer IMO, and they also don't put pressure on a dog's sensitive neck. I use Premier harnesses for my two, but there are many good harnesses out there. 2Hounds Design makes one that I believe is very popular here, and other vendors make good ones too, including ones specifically for spooks. Hopefully others will chime in with the details :)

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

http://www.majesticcollars.com/ and http://www.2houndsdesign.com/

These are my fav harness vendors.

Irene ~ Owned and Operated by Jenny (Jenny Rocks ~ 11/24/17) ~ JRo, Jenny from the Track

Lola (AMF Won't Forget ~ 04/29/15 -07/22/19) - My girl. I'll always love you.

Wendy (Lost Footing ~ 12/11/05 - 08/18/17) ~ Forever in our hearts. "I am yours, you are mine".

a lot of greyhound vendors have the "Wiggles Wags & Wiskars" harness that works well on greys. Majestic Collars also sells a spook harness that is wonderful and also a "safety strap" that attaches from the collar to the harness. That way if either collar or harness fails or comes off you still have hold of the dog. It can very well be a matter of life or death keeping them from getting loose. I would take XTRA precautions to include a safety strap at least and possible a carabiner type leash back up or the locking snap that you can get on leashes at 2hounds. The hardware on most leashes now a days is much to cheap to trust a greyhounds life to and fails too often. At the least though a WWW harness and a leash with snap back-up would probably get the job done. I have found many greyhounds have injuries or issues we may not know about with that long neck they have so if I think a hound will bolt or something I try to use the harness instead of a collar to be sure and protect their neck. Might consider BACH Rescue Remedy or flower essences as it really helped calm down Goldie who was a pretty spooky fellow when I first got him. I think you're doing the only thing you can about getting him in the vehicle. He probably doesn't realize he can easily jump in yet but hopefully in time the light bulb will come on. I had to do that with Cash for weeks even to get her on the sofa then one day she "discovered" she could jump and now even jumps on the high bed when she wants to.

I get mine here: http://www.gemgreyhounds.org/gem_store/harnesses&couplers.htm . I use the Premier SureFit but they have the Wiggles,Wags no-pull harnesses as well.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest MyCody

We have used a harness for many years and it is a very handy thing. I use it as a means of keeping them close by holding onto the top like a suitcase and I usually need to do that just about every time I'm in a pet store where little dog owners have their dogs out as far as possible on those retractable leads. One of my pet peeves.

Also when Cody was being treated by a neurologist for his disc problems she said the best thing we had done was use a harness as it takes a lot of pressure off their necks as someone else mentioned.

We use the WWW harnesses.

Micah has been with us since January and while he is not quite as skittish as he was when we first got him he still spooks easily and while I use the martingale collar only, I'm starting to think that he would be safer when walked if he had a harness on. Can anyone tell me where to buy a harness that would fit a greyhound? Don't think a regular harness would bit given their deep chest measurements. Also, any hints on getting spooky boy into the suv would really help. We've tried treats, "desensitizing" him to the suv by me just sitting on the tailgate with him wandering around outside (on leash). The only thing that works is lifting his eighty pound front legs onto the tailgate and then scooping his rump. He then loves the car and settles down immediately! Thanks

I would say that yes, a harness would be good for you and I've seen people use both harness and a martingale on their spooky dogs. But the getting him in the SUV? :lol I only laugh because that is exactly the way I have to get my big 85 pound boy in. He will put his front feet up and then turn to look at me like, "a little help here please." :lol I have to scoop up his rump and put him in and he isn't spooky in the least!

gallery_12867_3348_20333.jpg
~Beth, with a crazy mixed crew of misfits.
~ Forever and Always missing and loving Steak, Carmen, Ivy, Isis, and Madi.
Don't cry because it's ended, Smile because it happened.
Before you judge me, try to keep an open mind, not everyone likes your taste.

I use the WWW harness for Karma, got it at 2Hounds, Karma is not a spook, but she has a high prey drive, and a thick neck, I can't quite trust a collar to keep her safe. As to the SUV issue, I had to laugh too, because for years I was lifting Spud in, front feet first, then boost in the rear. Until one day DS said "Wait him out, he has to think about it, he will jump in." Sure enough, he's jumped in on his own ever since :lol

spud_karma_sig.jpgmed_gallery_2551_3357_5098.jpg

Ivon, Spud, Karma & Sasha

Missing Darla (05-22-96 03-01-2010)

I use the Wiggles & Wags harness for Trolley. She's very shy & tends to start backing up when she gets nervous. I bought the training leash for the harness & it attaches to both the collar & harness. I feel more secure walking her now.. :)

Carol-Glendale, AZ

Trolley (Figsiza Trollyn)

Nevada 1992-2008...always in my heart

I'm also a big fan of the WWW harness. I've purchased both of mine through GEM. I bought one for my very timid and initially spooky girl, Claire, and I never felt safer. I did NOT feel safe walking her in a martingale. The day after I used hers I was on the horn to GEM and ordered one for Carl as well. They have really saved the day when something spooks them and they try to bold...they have also saved me a small fortune in expensive collars, for which I was developing a thing for!

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

Guest Swifthounds

Not a big fan of harnesses for most greys (contribute to more problems than they solve), but for a spook they can provide extra needed security. My babydog is a bit of a sensitive dog (I wouldn't call her a spook as she isn't shy or intimidated by people or other animals one bit - actually the opposite). Unlike my spook boy Comet, who was much larger and spooked but never enough to back out of a collar, Cupid has the ability to spook at the speed of light and back out of or flop out of just about anything, be it a collar or any type of harness. When I take her to public places I have a harness on her and I use a leash/martingale collar combo that tightens more snugly and more quickly than a regular martingale and collar. The harness is just there for something to grab on to (if you garb the top of a harness - at the dog's back - and lift up, they really can't get out of it).

Regardless of the equipment you settle on using, when taking a spooky or shy dog out there are other things you can do to make your dog safe. Just a short list of what I do: 1. Do recall training at home or in a fenced area (invaluable if your dog should get loose), 2. get a really tasty dog treat that you can portion out in small amounts to reward good behavior and progress immediately, 3. Train the "watch me" command (good for distraction and getting a dog's attention), 4. Use or borrow a confident dog (a confident buddy can be invaluable to acclimating a spooky dog), 5. Start small (with outings, trips, rides in the car), reward every inch of progress, and work up from there.

Best thing about training a dog? Even though other people may think you're crazy/weird/odd/silly/bonkers/talking to yourself, your dog will know the truth - that you're the best human your dog could have hoped for.

Good advice above.

We just got a harness for Brucie as he has recently figured out how to back out of his collar when he wants to run (recent camping trip, he sprinted down the beach and promptly returned, thankfully...but obviously not taking any more chances). I've found the harness to be so much more secure and frankly, easier on the dog. I'll be getting one for Bumper as well simply because I believe it to be more comfortable for the hounds.

Doe's Bruciebaby Doe's Bumper

Derek

Follow my Ironman journeys and life with dogs, cats and busy kids: A long road

Guest GoingRogue

We just switched to a harness. We got the "step in" style from Petsmart similar to the WWW harness and it fits better than the original harness. I think it's easier to control and I feel like he is more secure in it. As far as helping into the SUV, we had to help Rogue in the first two times and now he is so excited to go for a ride he jumps right in.

Good harness advice given. My only addition is that if you use a harness, I'd suggest using a collar and second leash also. Get the security as a backup from the harness - but "lead" with the collar. That way, when you're ready to transition to collar only, the dog understands.

As far as getting into an SUV - I had MUCH better luck getting my dog in through the back passenger door, than trying to get him to jump into the back through the rear hatch door.

It got much better when DD got into the backseat, and called the dog in through the passenger door (the way the dog saw her get in). The hatch is a LOT higher. Once the dog is in - treat - and arrange the seats. The back cargo door of an SUV is very high - into a small space. Going in through the back passenger door onto the floor, then onto the seats then into the back, is less threatening. I think it's the fear of jumping up into a small space that sometimes fruits them out. (yes I know they've been in crates) - but still, better to take a little jump up into a backseat - than the BIG jump into an unknown space.

Harnesses here. Simba is large and strong, and Stella is still a bit spooky. We use the velvet 2Hounds harnesses that Annie linked above, and I can't imagine a better harness. I have Premier harnesses as back ups.

As to getting in the SUV, one trick is -- takes two people -- open the door on one side where he's standing with a handler. Go to the other side, open the door and offer high-value treats inside. It might only take once!

Guest ArtysPeople

I'm also interested in a harness for our boy, who can get very excited and pully in the presence of other dogs or people who engage him. However, I'm concerned because he has literally no fur on his underside where the harness would likely engage. Does anyone using the harness have a hound with a truly nekkid underside, and if so, has it caused any problems?

Regarding getting him in the SUV, I volunteered for a few years in our group's greyhound kennel, and the method you described -- placing paws up first then giving the rear a boost -- is exactly the method used to get some dogs into a top crate. Many dogs are top crate trained and will leap in easily, but others, particularly large males like yours, are not top crate trained, and if they absolutely have to go into one, we use the method you describe. So just to warn you, you might be stuck with that, since it's what he knows. :)

I'm also interested in a harness for our boy, who can get very excited and pully in the presence of other dogs or people who engage him. However, I'm concerned because he has literally no fur on his underside where the harness would likely engage. Does anyone using the harness have a hound with a truly nekkid underside, and if so, has it caused any problems?

Carl has a bare undercarriage and I use the velvet lined (velvet lined underneath only) Wiggles, Wags and Whiskers martingale classic harness. I've never had any problems with it, on the few occasions he has pulled hard, he has light redness on his skin that is gone by evening, no bruising or "carpet" burns like he might have with plain old nylon rubbing against his skin. I love it, I'll probably never use any other brand of harness. I get mine @ the GEM store (I think the link is above).

Edited by seeh2o

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014