Near Strangulation By His Collar!

Guest sbennett

I forgot to mention earlier in my post about not clipping the tags on the D ring. Some tag collars have a D ring so the OP might not be aware of the risk for asphixiation

Sorry to be dense...Does this apply to the breakaway collars, as well?

Can you get a tag from Boomerang and slip it on a breakaway? then you don't have anything dangling.

It's seems like a bit of a dilemma...breakaway collars so the pup can't be asphyxiated, however, if the have potential to come off if the pup were loose, then no ID except for the microchip. dunno.gif A pup with no ID versus asphyxiation. I guess I better look at a breakaway collar.

I had the same thoughts and came to the same conclusion.

Check out the collars I ordered - see post #30 in this thread - You can get reflective embroidery so no need for a tag or tape. I got them without any D rings, so no would be temped to attach a leash to it. They are custom made for your dog. I talked to the owner and these will not come off unless they get hung on something.

Thanks, I checked it out earlier this morning actually. I have a call into DH to measure Ben and Brooke's neck and thought about having the D rings eliminated, but then reconsidered because I thought if I ever had to grab the collar, at least I would have two D rings to hold onto. Decisions...decisions...decisions.

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just posted this in the other break away collar thread, but for those reading this one, here is a reflective break away tag collar that Pam from Cozy Coats and More custom made for Carl & Claire:

IMG_1500.jpgIMG_1495-2.jpg

IMG_1505.jpgIMG_1506.jpg

They are SUPER reflective, I can see the dogs in the yard when it is pitch black outside, the tiniest amount of light makes them glow. The slide on tag is from Woof Tags, they are an affiliate of Boomerang Tags, but 100% of their proceeds go to animal rescue, so I like to buy my tags from them. Their tags ARE Boomerang Tags.

I need to take and post some pictures of their fancier breakaway tag collars that Holly from the Unruly Hound made. They are designed similarly to the one above, but are 1" wide and have the dog's names embroidered on them. They are also reflective an absolutely glow in the darkest of night.

Edited by seeh2o

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

Shanti got her dew claw stuck in her collar's D ring going out the dog door. You could have heard her scream from 3 states away! She now wears a Chinook break away collar. I ordered it and had it in 2 days. I have boomerang tag on it so nothing is loose or dangles.

Scary! Glad your husband was able to free your baby!!!

The Girls

Guest RobinAZ

I'm glad I just read this thread. The martingale's will come off unless we are going out. I never thought about them getting caught on something. :blush

I never thought about them getting caught on something.

Many do not & truth be told it won't happen to many. But it isn't just the martingales that are the problem. I've had two dogs get trapped on the floor & found them flailing when their tag hooks, both s-hook & circular sort, got stuck on in a loop of berber carpet. Switched to different tag hooks but still worried so went to jingle-free variety. Feel better but still worry. Hard to find a breakaway that doesn't have anything hanging from them like d-rings or such. I know, I know. They are "break-away". Yet I do not trust them to break when supposed to & not when they shouldn't. So was already on the hunt for the right safety collar when this subject came up.

I just posted this in the other break away collar thread, but for those reading this one, here is a reflective break away tag collar that Pam from Cozy Coats and More custom made for Carl & Claire:

IMG_1500.jpg

That looks pretty good except I think would do it with the flap on the outside so I could pull it open myself, a al PlaySafe collar. How easily do those break away?

I never thought about them getting caught on something.

Many do not & truth be told it won't happen to many. But it isn't just the martingales that are the problem. I've had two dogs get trapped on the floor & found them flailing when their tag hooks, both s-hook & circular sort, got stuck on in a loop of berber carpet. Switched to different tag hooks but still worried so went to jingle-free variety. Feel better but still worry. Hard to find a breakaway that doesn't have anything hanging from them like d-rings or such. I know, I know. They are "break-away". Yet I do not trust them to break when supposed to & not when they shouldn't. So was already on the hunt for the right safety collar when this subject came up.

IMG_1500.jpg

That looks pretty good except I think would do it with the flap on the outside so I could pull it open myself, a al PlaySafe collar. How easily do those break away?

Fortunately, I haven't had to test them on my dogs, but they pull apart well when I hold them in my hand, but are secure enough that I can hold the dogs if the gate is open. I wouldn't want to be holding them if they pulled hard, though, the collars would do as they are designed to do.

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Do they break away when you twist as well as pull straight, in opposite directions, and also when you put it on a newel post (or something that mimics the dog's neck) and then pull away from it?

I worry a bit about Velcro, because some of it is so darned strong. I break nails each time I wash the cover on one of my dog beds, and I simply couldn't do it when my shoulder was damaged.

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

Guest pikoda

The breakaways here are made with a plastic breakaway buckle and can be made with or without the d-rings. You can have a slider pet ID tag (up to 5 lines of information) that is on the collar instead of dangling or custom embroidery for personalization.

Do they break away when you twist as well as pull straight, in opposite directions, and also when you put it on a newel post (or something that mimics the dog's neck) and then pull away from it?

I worry a bit about Velcro, because some of it is so darned strong. I break nails each time I wash the cover on one of my dog beds, and I simply couldn't do it when my shoulder was damaged.

Not sure if you were asking me or someone else...so I just retried pulling them apart in various ways before posting, the way Pam and Holly have the velcro on the collar it isn't super clingy (with Pam's collars the sharper side has stitching through it, so that cuts down on it's stickiness), plus there are different degrees of stickiness - has to do with # of loops and # of hooks. I pressed the velcro together hard, hung in on a doornob and pulled straight, it broke away nicely, just pulled apart gently, no violent pulls needed, then I did the same thing and twisted it, same thing, it pulled apart gently and I didn't even need to use violent pulls. As I mentioned before, they are strong enough that I can hold the dogs, albeit gently, by the collar in situations where the gate is open or I don't want them to step in front of someone. The other three things I really like about them is that there are no sharp edges (like w/the TazLab nylon), they are super reflective and they are lined in velvet. They are very lightweight, too. I bought a 3/4# slide on Wooftag, stainless steel, also has no sharp edges and is slightly curved. I had a cheaper aluminum slider tag and got rid of that right away, it had sharp edges and no bend to it. I could also see where it was going to scratch easily. The tags looked nice as they were colored aluminum, but I felt like they could get hurt with the sharp edges and purchased the Wooftag sliders instead.

Edited by seeh2o