Near Strangulation By His Collar!

Guest sbennett

Guest mcsheltie

Wonder about two of these attached together.

It would be light weight and there is a grommet to attach a tag. Boomerang also sells tags to fit them.

And they are cute!

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest eaglflyt

We use the Chinook Breakaway collars on our pups. Martingales are only used for leash walking or to show a little bling at meet n greets. :colgate Our pups have been in situations where their breakaway collar opened just as it is supposed to do ... and you can then put it right back together and all is fine. Their tags are clipped onto the breakaway collars.

OMG :ohno How terrifying! Thank goodness you were home. My two boys never ever wear their collars when they're indoors. About a year and a half ago someone who used to be a member here lost her grey when he was in the yard - his martingale got caught and he strangled to death. She came home to find him just hanging there. I know many people on this board remember the episode :cry1:(:weep Absolutely ghastly.

Since then, I make a point of telling everyone I can about it so that they can take precautions - either leave their dogs naked in the house or use a loose tag collar or breakaway collar.

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

I use knot-a-collar on my guys. It has a double slip knot system that pulls loose if caught. I do have to check them every few days because they tend to loosen up as they age. I think I've had them for around 3 years. They also have reflective threads in them to help me spot them in the yard after dark.

Guest mcsheltie

I found these. They will make whatever you want. So... I am getting -glo in the dark -embroidered -breakaway collars -with no hardware at all. No tags, no D rings, no hardware to catch the collar.

I had my warning two days ago when Chloe got her collar caught on the drawer knob. Thank you Sharon for this thread. You got me off my butt before something bad happened!

Guest sbennett

Those are nice looking collars. I especially like being able to get your phone # embroidered on there. Glad your Chloe is okay too!

Sharon

We use the Chinook Breakaway collars on our pups. Martingales are only used for leash walking or to show a little bling at meet n greets. :colgate Our pups have been in situations where their breakaway collar opened just as it is supposed to do ... and you can then put it right back together and all is fine. Their tags are clipped onto the breakaway collars.

That's what Phene and Treasure use; the ones with the reflective stuff on it.

Oh my - that is *exactly* what Max did a few years ago - my boy now goes nekkid unless going for a walk, or if at someplace besides home, he has a breakaway collar that he wears(which I cannot recall the manufacturer of - RobinW on here has one as well; they do work awesome!). Pretty much anything besides a breakaway can get caught. I remember our husky-girl we had before Max got her regular flat collar caught on the tines of the bottom of the dishwasher rack (she was the pre-wash rinse cycle! :rolleyes: ) and pulled the whole rack, fully loaded across the kitchen, completely freaked out, stuff smashing all around her - gawd, what an ordeal that was. I had to practically sit on her to hold her still enough so someone else could unhook her!

I am so glad everything turned out okay - it is a terrifying couple of minutes! :eek

So, yes, nekkid or breakaway unless on a leash is the rule in our house...

I've never forgotten that story. That's why we have breakaway collars.

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

Guest tinams8

I looked for awhile, and ended up buying the pieces and making a tiny breakaway collar for Lucy. It has a plastic breakaway clip. It looks like a cat collar. So far it only came off once outside, I don't know how exactly.

The embroidered ones are ideal, no tags at all! Might have to buy two of those...

I am so sorry to hear that happened to you - thank heavens you were there to save your dog!

It's a timely warning, because so many people don't even think about the possibility. We all know about cats getting caught on things and needing breakaway collars, but dogs? Most of us think they're too .. I don't know. Sensible? Streetwise? Big? :dunno

I had my warning about thirty years ago when I worked for a vet. We did a little re-homing on the side, and one of the 'lucky' dogs to be saved from being PTS was a little terrier mix. He lasted three weeks in his new home before strangling himself on his collar. He'd jumped up and down, barking at something outside no doubt, and caught his little leather collar D ring on a tea towel hook in the kitchen. They came home to find him dead.

Since then I've heard of several deaths or near-deaths, so I now make my own breakaway tag necklaces. Double safety, I'm thinking, because 1) they're very loose and in 99.9% of cases pull off over the head and 2) they're joined with an unsoldered jump ring which has a low breaking strength - or they're made of a fairly weak stretch thread which will also break quite easily. No way would either stand up to a 70lb dog yanking on them. But if Sid goes back to stay with his trainer while we're away (I only have one dog right now) he'll wear a standard breakaway collar, because he'll be living with half a dozen other greyhounds in an unfamiliar place - and he'd almost certainly lose a breakaway tag necklace very quickly in that situation. Two of them are hardly more than pups. ;)

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

I'm so glad you were home when it happened, how incredibly scary. There was a horror story like this that ended badly that was told here on GT, I really took that story to heart and had some break away tag collars made for my two.

That's why I only use break-away tag collars at home and when on walks they wear the tag collars and walk with harnesses. I've had two sets of velcro breakaway collars made for my two. The first set was from Pam @ Cozy Coats & more, she made some fabulous velvet lined and reflective tag collars. Very light weight, but if they get caught on anything the velcro allows them to break free with a little force. The second set was custom made by Holly @ the Unruly Hound. She made some break away tag collars for them as well, they are wonderful, are lined, reflective and have their names embroidered on them!

Both sets have a slide on tag and are held together by velcro, but are strong enough for me to grab them lightly if needed. I've never had either set come off or "breakaway" from the dogs scratching their necks.

Edited by seeh2o

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

We also use the breakaways for all our kids. We switched over last year to the Chinook and I am sure glad we did. Only 2 months after the switch we came home to find our old man without his collar upon further inspection we found it caught on a metal doorstop broken away - the collar did it's job and I shudder to think what would have happened if he had not had the right collar on. :o

The reason a dog has so many friends is that he wags his tail instead of his tongue.

8-14-hound-siggy.jpg?gl=US

Living a GREYT life at the Hound Hacienda - Clarkdale, Arizona

Always missing our angel hounds; Parker, Lacey, Bella, Figgy, Macho, Aspen, Kingman and Tillie

Guest MyBoys

This thread really struck a cord with me and what COULD happen so I just ordered breakaway tags collars from Classy Couch Potatoes, she does carry tag collars but has to order the breakaway snaps for me. I know I will feel much better now leaving the house and knowing my boys are safe. Thanks for starting this thread :thumbs-up

Guest LindsaySF

My guys wear loose plastic buckle collars in the house. Am I incorrect in assuming they won't break away if they pull hard enough? I've had them come apart before, but I guess it depends on the collar?

Guest sbennett

That is the type of collar Jay was wearing when he got caught on the cabinet knob. It showed no inclination to open and he was caught so tightly that it was all my husband could do to release the buckle.

Sharon

I forgot to mention earlier in my post about not clipping the tags on the D ring. Some tag collars have a D ring so the OP might not be aware of the risk for asphixiation

Sorry to be dense...Does this apply to the breakaway collars, as well?

Irene ~ Owned and Operated by Jenny (Jenny Rocks ~ 11/24/17) ~ JRo, Jenny from the Track

Lola (AMF Won't Forget ~ 04/29/15 -07/22/19) - My girl. I'll always love you.

Wendy (Lost Footing ~ 12/11/05 - 08/18/17) ~ Forever in our hearts. "I am yours, you are mine".

Breakaway collars and tags: You can hook the tags to anything on a breakaway as long as you don't hook the tags thru both rings (Chinook/Keepsafe breakaways). Other types of buckle collars normally won't break. The safest non-breaking collar has a traditional tongue buckle and a single flat ring (hunting collar); the two sides of the collar will pivot around the ring if the dog gets caught; won't help with serious hanging or playtime incidents, tho.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest zoolaine

Now I want to switch all mine to break away collars. But I really love the cute collars. I emailed NancyB to see if she could make the break away collars. I am thinking of using the break away collars when we are home and then using the tag clips for easy exchange of their tags into regular side buckle collars or on the martingales (they usually walk in harnesses). Then they are safe at home but still have tags in case they somehow escape.

OK, now I am paranoid. I have the leather tag collars with a boomerang tag from God's Greyts. No rings, no hanging tags. Are those not safe enough to wear? Yikes. I liked that they are soft and don't rub. My guys have very little hair as it is, and a regular collar was rubbing all of it off on their throat.

gallery_16605_3214_8259.jpg

Cindy with Miss Fancypants, Paris Bueller, Zeke, and Angus 
Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe), Maggie (All Trades Jax), Sherman (LNB Herman Bad) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow

Will it break apart if it catches on something?

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I wouldn't think that it would break apart. However, the leather will stretch, since it is thin. I have grabbed it before and it did stretch easily and they did back it up and over their ears. It will not split apart, though.

gallery_16605_3214_8259.jpg

Cindy with Miss Fancypants, Paris Bueller, Zeke, and Angus 
Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe), Maggie (All Trades Jax), Sherman (LNB Herman Bad) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow

I have been meaning to order the Chinook Breakaway Collars and this thread has prompted me to do so. What is the best type of identity tag to attach to these collars? Their martingales all have their tags with their name and our phone number. Would this type be safe to attach to the breakaways? Thanks for any suggestions.

gallery_6279_2888_88479.jpg

Hobbes - April 2, 1994 to April 9, 2008-----Tasha - May 23, 2000 to March 31, 2013

Fiona - Aug 29, 2001 to May 5, 2014-----Bailey - March 22, 2001 to Jan 20, 2015

Zeke - June 1, 2004 - Jan 26, 2016----Callie - July 14, 2006 to July 27, 2019

Forever in my heart: Chooch, Molly, Dylan & Lucy

You can attach anything to the breakaway as long as you don't attach thru both D rings (that's where the collar comes apart if stressed). Best attached on the adjustment slide, as with regular collars. What I do with mine is, after I've adjusted the size for the individual dog, I sew a piece of reflective tape on and write the contact info with laundry marker. If I ordered their reflective collars (new since I started using them), I'd likely use regular tags; their reflective material doesn't look like the kind you can write on.

You can attach anything to the breakaway as long as you don't attach thru both D rings (that's where the collar comes apart if stressed). Best attached on the adjustment slide, as with regular collars. What I do with mine is, after I've adjusted the size for the individual dog, I sew a piece of reflective tape on and write the contact info with laundry marker. If I ordered their reflective collars (new since I started using them), I'd likely use regular tags; their reflective material doesn't look like the kind you can write on.

The reflective tape is a great idea. I like having something on the collar itself, rather than hanging from it. Thanks for the information. This is exactly what I was looking for!

gallery_6279_2888_88479.jpg

Hobbes - April 2, 1994 to April 9, 2008-----Tasha - May 23, 2000 to March 31, 2013

Fiona - Aug 29, 2001 to May 5, 2014-----Bailey - March 22, 2001 to Jan 20, 2015

Zeke - June 1, 2004 - Jan 26, 2016----Callie - July 14, 2006 to July 27, 2019

Forever in my heart: Chooch, Molly, Dylan & Lucy

I forgot to mention earlier in my post about not clipping the tags on the D ring. Some tag collars have a D ring so the OP might not be aware of the risk for asphixiation

Can you get a tag from Boomerang and slip it on a breakaway? then you don't have anything dangling.

It's seems like a bit of a dilemma...breakaway collars so the pup can't be asphyxiated, however, if the have potential to come off if the pup were loose, then no ID except for the microchip. :dunno A pup with no ID versus asphyxiation. I guess I better look at a breakaway collar.

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

Guest mcsheltie

Can you get a tag from Boomerang and slip it on a breakaway? then you don't have anything dangling.

It's seems like a bit of a dilemma...breakaway collars so the pup can't be asphyxiated, however, if the have potential to come off if the pup were loose, then no ID except for the microchip. :dunno A pup with no ID versus asphyxiation. I guess I better look at a breakaway collar.

I had the same thoughts and came to the same conclusion.

Check out the collars I ordered - see post #30 in this thread - You can get reflective embroidery so no need for a tag or tape. I got them without any D rings, so no would be temped to attach a leash to it. They are custom made for your dog. I talked to the owner and these will not come off unless they get hung on something.