Near Strangulation By His Collar!

Guest sbennett

Guest sbennett

Last night one my boys got his collar caught on one of the knobs on a base kitchen cabinet. He was trapped so tightly that it was all my husband could do to release the clip/button closure on his collar and free him. I shudder to think about the outcome if this had happened while we weren't home. In researching collars it became clear that many dogs die each year when their collars get hung up on an object or another dog's mouth while playing.

This was scary enough to convince me to order both the boys breakaway collars today. These will pop open if a certain amount of pressure is applied so that the dogs can't strangle. Until the new collars come, we are going collar-less in the house!

S Bennett

Who is sharing life with Jay and Boon, after the privilege of living with Eddie I, Harriet and Eddie II.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh my gosh, I'm so glad your DH was able to free him! We switched from wearing martingale's to tag collars with no loops here also.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

So glad that things are ok. That must have been so frightening.

it is also the reason we NEVER wear martingales in the house unless we are headed out but only break away tag collars.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

I'm so glad you got to him in time. This can happen outdoors as well so please don't let them out in the yard with martingales unless supervised. Once you get tag collars you may want to consider wearing them in the yard instead of a martingale. Remeberance will have an old thread about a pup who was strangled on their fence.

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

Guest sbennett

Actually, these were just their tag collars with the buckle release, not martingales. Hubs was able to reach under Jay's chin and unbuckle it, otherwise I guess we were looking at trying to cut the collar off a panicked dog. So sorry that someone else had a similar experience that ended tragically.

SB

Only a breakaway tag collar here too. Glad you found him in time.

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

Guest MyBoys

So glad your pup is okay, that is scary. Just wondering where you got the breakaway tag collars??????? I am thinking I need to order a couple.

Guest Wasserbuffel

I too just use a tag collar, but mine isn't a breakaway. It's ajusted so it is quite loose on her and will slip off exceedingly easily. She got it caught once and it slipped off beautifully. I'd had it ajusted even more loosely at first, but she flung it off during a good zoomie in the backyard.

Guest KennelMom

Any collar - martingale or otherwise - that does not have a clasp/buckle for you to undo is very dangerous to leave on a dog, especially unattended. If you think because you have a tag collar it will just slide off the dog if they get hung up, you might be mistaken. Dogs will squirm and twist to free themselves and a collar basically becomes a tourniquet at that point. Try unflipping a 50+ lb greyhound that's already freaking out. Heck, you'll have a hard time figuring out which way you need to twist the dog to undo it. When Scout got her 1" tag collar hung up on cabinet knob, all the collars came off.

I'm glad this story has a happy ending. Too many dogs die from their own collars every year. :( An idea for someone who doesn't want to go collarless or break-away would be the thick plastic track collars. They may not be pretty or decorative, but they would have a heck of a time twisting on themselves. For a while Tater had to wear a collar and that's what we used (came off when we weren't home or anytime she was crated).

Edited by KennelMom

Guest K9Cookies

Julie with Furry-Baby Fashions makes nice break-away collars. Here's her link- Furry-Baby Fashions- Break away collars

We bought a set a year ago or so. They were a little too "break-away" for us. We put a piece of Scotch tape around the break away section, and that solved the problem. Still enough give that they would certainly come apart if something happened to one of the dogs.

Guest Wasserbuffel
If you think because you have a tag collar it will just slide off the dog if they get hung up, you might be mistaken. Dogs will squirm and twist to free themselves and a collar basically becomes a tourniquet at that point. Try unflipping a 50+ lb greyhound that's already freaking out. Heck, you'll have a hard time figuring out which way you need to twist the dog to undo it

I didn't think of that. Her collar does have a buckle, it's just not a breakaway one.

Our tag collars aren't break away but there are no buckles or metal loops at all and all of our bottom cabinets have no handles. If we're going to be away from home, all collars come off.

Edited by JillysFullHouse

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Thank god you were there. I was just about to post on this same topic. We have the breakaways (www.breakawaycollar.com) and wear them in house/yard. If we had anything else -- including loose-fitting tag collars -- I'd be at the emergency vet or crematorium today. Three times in the last two days my dogs have been playing in the yard and one has caught a foot on the other's collar.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest Energy11

I ordered Premier Keep Safe breakaway collars. It looks like there are several on line sources for these.

Sharon

This is what we have, too. I believe in always leaving the tag collars on, myself. If the dog gets loose, it is their lifeline. Martingales ARE a no no, as stated above. They are just going out walking or traveling collars. No "naked" dogs in my house.

Oh my - that is *exactly* what Max did a few years ago - my boy now goes nekkid unless going for a walk, or if at someplace besides home, he has a breakaway collar that he wears(which I cannot recall the manufacturer of - RobinW on here has one as well; they do work awesome!). Pretty much anything besides a breakaway can get caught. I remember our husky-girl we had before Max got her regular flat collar caught on the tines of the bottom of the dishwasher rack (she was the pre-wash rinse cycle! :rolleyes: ) and pulled the whole rack, fully loaded across the kitchen, completely freaked out, stuff smashing all around her - gawd, what an ordeal that was. I had to practically sit on her to hold her still enough so someone else could unhook her!

I am so glad everything turned out okay - it is a terrifying couple of minutes! :eek

So, yes, nekkid or breakaway unless on a leash is the rule in our house...

Edited by maximum

My boys, together again...

cedarlodge2010027_zpsc250b3bf-1_zps9f4d4

A hui hou kakou, my loves

Poor pup, glad he is O.K.,,, no collars of any type are worn in the house,,, read a post long ago here on G.T. about a pup that strangled,,, it was heart wrenching,,, the owner had to go and cut the dead dog down from the post it had gotten chocked to death on,,,,, that was it for me,,, no collars in house :(

Edited by kydie

Guest mcsheltie

Has anyone had any trouble with the Premier collar coming off when you don't want them to? If they scratch their neck hard will these come off? While I want it to come off if something happens, I want a collar that is reliable and will stay on under normal living conditions.

Guest sheila

I had an issue that was not with the collar but the tags themselves. My dog was laying on the floor near a floor vent and the TAGS got stuck in the slots of the floor vent. He was stuck to the floor until his thrashing actually pulled the metal vent out and he was running around the room with the vent attached to his collar.

My breakaways have never come off from the dog scratching. I've been using them for nearly 10 years. They will slide off over a sighthound head if you don't keep them pretty snug to the neck; I do, so I was surprised that Joseph managed to catch his foot in his sister's collar more than once.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest mcsheltie

My breakaways have never come off from the dog scratching. I've been using them for nearly 10 years. They will slide off over a sighthound head if you don't keep them pretty snug to the neck; I do, so I was surprised that Joseph managed to catch his foot in his sister's collar more than once.

So they have never come off other than when they got hung on something (or someone)?

If you grab one other than at the break buckle and the dog is charging ahead, they will come apart (and mine have). So if your risk of dog running out the door is high, they might not be the collar for you (at least while you're home). After awhile you get pretty good at grabbing at the break spot. You can increase the break strength by using a little velcro one-wrap between the two rings, but you have to be careful with that -- more than 1/4" velcro stuck together is very difficult to break (BTDT).

I forgot to mention earlier in my post about not clipping the tags on the D ring. Some tag collars have a D ring so the OP might not be aware of the risk for asphixiation

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross