Best Things To Feed After Tooth Extractions

Gee goes in first thing in the morning for a dental, at least 2 tooth extractions and exploration of a lump she has on her side. What's the best thing to feed her, assuming I can get her to eat, after having teeth removed?

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

When Bailey had multiple extractions, I fed her kibble that had been moistened in warm water, however, that's what I feed the pups anyway. I just made sure it was all moistened. She had a little bit of blood mixed with her saliva so you may want to put a towel down under Gee's head every time she lays her head on the floor.

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

We are constantly dealing with major dentals here with the seniors, etc. that we bring in for Craiger’s List. In fact, we have two in today getting dentals and they will surely loose lots of teeth! Some lose lots of teeth and are sick and sore for a few days. But all recover and do well. Here are some of the things we try depending on the dog, how sore the mouth is, what food sensitivities they might have, food drives, etc.

Cooked boneless and skinless chicken breasts. We simmer slowly and don’t over cook. They get very tender. We break those up into small pieces. We strain the broth (no salt) of all fat (very little) and use that to soften the kibble when they are ready to be fed that again.

Baked sweet potatoes. Cool and smash.

Cooked and drained macaroni and/or rice.

Simmer butternut squash until tender and smash or cube.

Canned Hills Prescription I/D for sensitive stomach. It is very bland and won’t upset stomachs.

Canned meat baby foods.

Yogurt (organic plain).

Canned tripe.

In all cases, we judge what the dog will want and eat first. Some are eager to eat right away and some take a day or two. But we keep offering food as eventually they will get hungry enough to eat.

Eventually you can soak enough of their kibble in the chicken broth and get them back eating the kibble as soon as possible.

We've always just done well-soaked kibble, so it's very soft. We do this for about a week.

Of course, remember that the first day back from the vet, no food. It's not good after the anesthesia. Sometimes they don't eat the next day either, but that is their choice.

Sarah, the human, Henley, and Armani the Borzoi boys, and Brubeck the Deerhound.
Always in our hearts, Gunnar, Naples the Greyhounds, Cooper and Manero, the Borzoi, and King-kitty, at the Rainbow Bridge.

My vet clinic keeps the multiple-extraction cases overnight. By the next day, they're ready for kibble with lots of water--especially if they hoover their food. I don't leave it too long--just a few minutes--or it turns into a big sponge.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

Thanks everyone. I've never had one have to have teeth out before so this is a new one for me. I guess you learn something useful every day.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Honey, Nadia and Kara have all had extractions. I've fed their regular kibble moistened with water. They've all been ready to eat by the next day. Usually they wanted a snack that night. If you use moistened kibble, just allow enough time for it to soften.

gallery_15026_2920_5914.jpg
Marc and Myun plus Starbuck (the cat)
Pinky my AWOL girl, wherever you are, I miss you.
Angels Honey (6/30/99-11/3/11) Nadia (5/11/99-6/4/12) Kara (6/5/99-7/17/12) Cleo (4/13/2000-4/19/2014)

Antnee (12/1/2002=2/20/17)