Now Patton's Limping

Guest Shermanator

I am so sorry. I understand totally about the rollercoaster. I understand the guilt (even though you know you couldn't have changed anything). I understand the anger. I just wish I could make this horrible disease go away.

I don't know anything about valley fever or how long the test results take. Perhaps you could send the xray to Dr. Couto or his team and get a second opinion about the cancer possibility? I don't know if they can tell the difference via x-ray but if anyone could, they can. Here are the emails:

OSU Greyhound team: greyosu@osu.edu

Dr. Couto: couto.1@osu.edu

My thoughts and prayers are with you, your family, and Patton.

Jane

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am very Sorry. My thoughts and prayers are with you and Patton.... :hope :hope :hope:grouphug

darlenesiggy2.jpg
Darlene Mom to: Aladdin, Sophie ,Pongo, Jasmine, Relic Forever in our Hearts Champ at the Rainbow Bridge.

Let a greyhound race into your heart Adopt

Bay Area Greyhound Adoptions INC. Naples/ Fort Myers Chapter

To manage apolli's pain after the amp, she got 100mg ever 4-6 as needed plus deramaxx so there is much more room for more.

I was reading your threads and kept a silent vigil for you and Patton. I am so sorry to hear this devastating news. We are all here for you in whatever way you need.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest Shermanator

Still waiting for the VF test results. Should get them today.

He is limping badly, and struggling with the dog door. We seem to have the pain managed; however, we have made the decision to help Patton to the bridge on Friday morning, should his VF test be negative. We would rather help him to the bridge sooner than later, so he does not suffer. We are terrified if we wait longer, he might quickly deteriorate and suffer more. I love this boy dearly, and am terrified to lose him, but I owe him the dignity of not suffering through this. I ma devastated, he still has a little spark to him, but he's tired. I can tell he's exhausted. Last night he was all over us, looking for ear scritches. Every time he came up to us on the sofa, little Travel followed him. (This is a new behavior from out shy little one.) It was almost like he was showing her this behavior, since he knows he will not be around much longer. God, I love my Patton.

On another note, I am furious with our local vet. We use 2 vets. Our main vet is our greyhound vet. He's is extremely knowledgeable about greyhounds, and his practice is full of greyhounds. (We usually see 1 or 2 during a vet visit.) I trust this man. He diagnosed Sherman, and made the call about Patton. He knows osteo, and was able to determine the problem with Patton quickly, without lots of extra tests and xrays. The problem is that he is 40+ miles away.

I also use a small vet practice here in town for shots, and emergencies, and other small items. For example, we used them to get Sherman's perscriptions for his thyroid, easier to drive 2 minutes to them, than the 45-60 minutes to the greyhound vet.

We used this vet when when helped Sherman to the bridge. I did not want to stress Sherman out anymore than he already was with a 45 minute drive. I wanted to stay close to home. This practice uses 2 vets, and both were fantastic in handling Sherman's passing. I has happy and grateful for their compassion.

However, yesterday I called them to make a tentative appointment for Patton. I got the one vet tech I was never warm to on the phone. I started to explain who I was, and what is happening with Patton, and the tentative situation with him. This tech interrupted me mid sentence and said, "why don't you just take him to that vet." No compassion in her voice, she was pretty snide. I lost it. I started to sob, while I tried to get out that I didn't want to stress Patton out. I had to hang up. (At work) I sobbed at my desk for about 1/2 hour. (Thank goodness I have a private office.) They are the only local vet I can use for Patton, which is why I use them. I called them back, the tech apologized (but her voice told me she didn't mean it,) and I made the appointment.

I have a call into one of the actual vets to complain. I will call them again today. I was devastated yesterday. We just lost Sherman 6 weeks ago (and we used them,) and now might use them for Patton, and am devastated to begin with. I'm still a mess. All I want is peace.

What a horrible situation. I'm so sorry. You would think knowing you had already been through this such a short time ago, the tech could have been a little more sympathetic. I'm so sorry.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

I would complain, too, much as I'm sure it hurts you to dwell on any of this. And if I were in your area, I'd go over and smack that tech on your behalf. You're a good dog momma. I'm so sorry you and your family are having to deal with this.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

will the "local vet" come to your house?? then you wouldn't have to deal with the "evil one" on such a hard day. i have to admit i was reluctant to ask our vet about coming to the house - but i did and was surprised at his response - "of course i will when the time comes" -- we love our vet - but i always hate to ask for special favors from anybody. maybe when you talk to him about the nasty treatment you could ask if you could avoid this by him coming to the house?????

Guest bigorangedog

Almost all the vets around me offer coming to the house for euthanasia as a service. Costs a little more, but is TOTALLY worth it, to let them go in a place where they are happy and comfortable.

We went through a similar issue as you with a local vet and our preferred vet 60 miles away. We understand completely and feel for you. We will be thinking of you and Patton and I hope for a peaceful passing.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

I am so incredibly sorry on so many levels for you. Our local vet office can be compassionate or insensitive depending on which vet is present at the time. It is quite frustrating, so I understand how you are feeling. Wishing for a peaceful passing.

gallery_16605_3214_8259.jpg

Cindy with Miss Fancypants, Paris Bueller, Zeke, and Angus 
Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe), Maggie (All Trades Jax), Sherman (LNB Herman Bad) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow

How awful...on so many different levels. :grouphug

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

Guest KennelMom

How terrible :grouphug I'm so sorry you had to go through that. Definitely let the vet or practice manager know what happened. We had a similar incident when we let Annie go and we left the practice...eventually we returned after talking to the vets and expressing our dismay over how we were treated. We've never had a problem since.

Guest Mollysmom10

I can completely understand your feelings - the last thing you need to be thinking about is the insensitivity of someone who actually works at a Vet office - you would think they, of all people would be compassionate.

I wish I could offer you more than that -- just know there are a lot of people thinking of you and Patton.

I'm so sorry for you on all fronts.

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.

Guest Shermanator

Valley Fever tests were negative. Its not Valley Fever, its cancer. We will be helping him to the bridge tomorrow. We are absolutely wrecked. Its devastating.

I am truly sorry. Words don't help but please give Patton a lot of hugs from us at GT to let him know we all love him from afar.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Guest Energy11

Soooo sorry to hear about all of this! I was waiting to comment until you got the results back!

We are ALL WITH YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sending you all the LOVE, HUGS AND PRAYERS WE CAN!!

Dee and The Five...