Now Patton's Limping

Guest Shermanator

What a terrible heartache! Wishing for Valley Fever doesn't seem right but I definitely am hoping it is that. I agree with others that he may benefit greatly from more pain control. He is not even getting as much as my pups were given after surgery or injuries. Also, gabapentin & NSAIDs can be added if he tolerates those and they are not contraindicated. You must choose what you feel is best and very, very few beat OS whether short term or long term. If it is OS then letting him go may be the best choice for him.

However, in some cases amp is also a good option. Until recently I was one who thought I would never do it. Watching friends' Great Dane with a front leg amp has made me think that in certain circumstances, an amp to gain an extra 6 mos - 2 years is a viable option. I do not know your or your dog but your description of the situation makes me wonder if choosing amp may help buy all of you some more quality time to be together, heal a bit from your recent loss and allow your shy girl some time to adjust & come out of her shell. It is immediate pain relief for Patton. Of course, only you all know what is best for Patton & your family. I suppose I am just thinking out loud about how I might handle it in if ever in your situation.

Wishing the best possible outcome for Patton and for all of you.

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest ChasesMum

oh poor you! *hugs* as has been said, you did NOTHING to cause this, or anything along those lines. NOTHING!

We did amp only on George for much the same reason - he was in horrible pain and it was either pts or amp. We didnt want to lose him so fast, and we wanted to do something to help him out. It was a good decision, he got 4 good months.

big big big hugs to you and your family.

Guest Categrey

Its bad. Very bad.

His x-rays show the tell-tale signs of cancer. The same cancer we lost Sherman to, only 6 weeks ago. He is running a blood test for Valley Fever, but he is 90% convinced its cancer.

We are devastated. We only lost Sherman 6 weeks ago. I cannot handle losing Patton. He is not doing well, at all. He will not get up, period. His leg hurts him too much to walk. I am going to try to get him to eat and drink- I'll take it to his bed. Its horrible. He won't use his leg. He's on 100mg tramadol 2x per day. Once the VF test comes back, it its negative, we will have to let Patton go immediately. I cannot allow him to suffer any longer.

I don't understand. WHY? What did we do? Seriously. Sherman was 9 1/2, and Patton is 8 1/2, and I may loose BOTH to bone cancer within 2 months? What did I do? Could something have triggered this?

And, we have Travel, our new little girl, who is painfully shy. She LOVES Patton, and we adopted her, because we knew she needed a companion dog, and thought Patton would be a great big brother for her. Now, only after 3 weeks, she may lose him. I have no idea how to handle that. We will adopt again, but damn, its not good, and I cannot handle this. At all.

Its bad. Very bad.

His x-rays show the tell-tale signs of cancer. The same cancer we lost Sherman to, only 6 weeks ago. He is running a blood test for Valley Fever, but he is 90% convinced its cancer.

We are devastated. We only lost Sherman 6 weeks ago. I cannot handle losing Patton. He is not doing well, at all. He will not get up, period. His leg hurts him too much to walk. I am going to try to get him to eat and drink- I'll take it to his bed. Its horrible. He won't use his leg. He's on 100mg tramadol 2x per day. Once the VF test comes back, it its negative, we will have to let Patton go immediately. I cannot allow him to suffer any longer.

I don't understand. WHY? What did we do? Seriously. Sherman was 9 1/2, and Patton is 8 1/2, and I may loose BOTH to bone cancer within 2 months? What did I do? Could something have triggered this?

And, we have Travel, our new little girl, who is painfully shy. She LOVES Patton, and we adopted her, because we knew she needed a companion dog, and thought Patton would be a great big brother for her. Now, only after 3 weeks, she may lose him. I have no idea how to handle that. We will adopt again, but damn, its not good, and I cannot handle this. At all.

I'm so sorry. This is devastating news, made even more unbearable because Sherman's loss is so fresh and painful. We can't blame you for being angry.

Please know that you're not alone---you and Patton are in so many prayers.

Come and vent when you need to. And give your precious boy a gentle hug.

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

Oh no, I am so so sorry. I cannot even imagine having to go through what you're going through now. I wish I could just take it away for you. :(

I can't really add to what others have said - add an NSAID and Gabapentin, and also consider switching the tramadol dosage to 3x/day and possibly increasing and see if you get adequate pain relief so you can at least have some time to reach some sort of acceptance and enjoy some more time with Patton before you have to say goodbye. Or consider amputation if you are up for it and you think Patton would handle the time at the vet's, etc. well.

I really wish I could do something for you. Feel free to come on over to the osteo thread and join us - commiserate, get support, just vent, whatever you need, we seem to have formed something of a little support group.

In the meantime, I will be hoping hoping hoping that you get a positive result for Valley Fever. :goodluck

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

I can't even believe it, this is sooooo unfair. :cry1 It is bad enough to have to go through this once, I can't even imagine having to do it twice in such a short time. Please, please don't feel like you are to blame, it's a horrible disease, and there's nothing you could have done any differently. You have given both your boys a fabulous life, and care for them enough to make the most difficult decisions when it matters most. Only you know what is best for your boy, so don't second guess anything, and cherish every minute. Of course we are all hoping for VF....

:grouphug

I am so sad and sorry to read your news. Cancer sucks. You are going through such a hard time. You are right; it is not fair.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

What awful news, I'm so sorry for you, your dog and your family. Don't think for a moment that you've done anything wrong or let your dogs down. It's in the breeding and the mix of unlucky genes. Perhaps one day they may be selectively bred out of the system. Treasure that poor dog in the time that remains, up the pain relief to whatever is necessary. :grouphug