Now Patton's Limping

Guest Shermanator

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Shermanator

Its bad. Very bad.

His x-rays show the tell-tale signs of cancer. The same cancer we lost Sherman to, only 6 weeks ago. He is running a blood test for Valley Fever, but he is 90% convinced its cancer.

We are devastated. We only lost Sherman 6 weeks ago. I cannot handle losing Patton. He is not doing well, at all. He will not get up, period. His leg hurts him too much to walk. I am going to try to get him to eat and drink- I'll take it to his bed. Its horrible. He won't use his leg. He's on 100mg tramadol 2x per day. Once the VF test comes back, it its negative, we will have to let Patton go immediately. I cannot allow him to suffer any longer.

I don't understand. WHY? What did we do? Seriously. Sherman was 9 1/2, and Patton is 8 1/2, and I may loose BOTH to bone cancer within 2 months? What did I do? Could something have triggered this?

And, we have Travel, our new little girl, who is painfully shy. She LOVES Patton, and we adopted her, because we knew she needed a companion dog, and thought Patton would be a great big brother for her. Now, only after 3 weeks, she may lose him. I have no idea how to handle that. We will adopt again, but damn, its not good, and I cannot handle this. At all.

Aw, jeez. Sending hugs. Lots of hugs.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Oh I'm so sorry you received such devastating news! I'm keeping you all in my prayers.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

I'm so sorry. My thoughts are with you, Patton, and Travel.

And no, you are absolutely not responsible for OS.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

Its bad. Very bad.

His x-rays show the tell-tale signs of cancer. The same cancer we lost Sherman to, only 6 weeks ago. He is running a blood test for Valley Fever, but he is 90% convinced its cancer.

We are devastated. We only lost Sherman 6 weeks ago. I cannot handle losing Patton. He is not doing well, at all. He will not get up, period. His leg hurts him too much to walk. I am going to try to get him to eat and drink- I'll take it to his bed. Its horrible. He won't use his leg. He's on 100mg tramadol 2x per day. Once the VF test comes back, it its negative, we will have to let Patton go immediately. I cannot allow him to suffer any longer.

I don't understand. WHY? What did we do? Seriously. Sherman was 9 1/2, and Patton is 8 1/2, and I may loose BOTH to bone cancer within 2 months? What did I do? Could something have triggered this?

And, we have Travel, our new little girl, who is painfully shy. She LOVES Patton, and we adopted her, because we knew she needed a companion dog, and thought Patton would be a great big brother for her. Now, only after 3 weeks, she may lose him. I have no idea how to handle that. We will adopt again, but damn, its not good, and I cannot handle this. At all.

oh i am SO sorry - i just can't imagine your heartbreak. rivie eats chicken breasts cooked in ck boullion and then processed in the food processer with a hair of evo mixed in -- maybe that would entice patton to eat a good meal??? 2 tramadol a day is not much for pain control -- rivie takes 2 a day, but we have instructions that she can have as many as she needs in between. she also gets gabapentin am & pm. please know you are in our thoughts and prayers - hugs and scritches - teri ps -- we are NOT in any way responsible for the os!! but i DO believe in miracles and things happening for a reason -- i think you are sherman and patton's MIRACLE to show them a loving home and loving care during their illness!!!

Edited by teri_d

Guest larock

2 tramadol a day is not much for pain control -- rivie takes 2 a day, but we have instructions that she can have as many as she needs in between.

I agree, our vet said we could give one every 8 hours (3 daily) if needed. Please ask your vet to re-visit this for Patton's sake.

What you are going though tough. Our thoughts are with you, Patton and Travel

Oh...I am so sorry for you. No words can say enough.

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.

Guest Paige12

Just adding in what everyone else is saying. So sorry for you and your boy. I also would bump up the tramadol. Cha-Cha took 100 mg 3 times a day. And I know you know about it, but, what about Acepromazine for the pain? Just a thought. We are not responsible for cancer. The miracle was that they had you to love them.

This is so very unfair for you and Patton. I am sorry.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Guest greytloves

YOU did nothing. OS sucks and there is nothing YOU could have done.

I am so very sorry and was hoping for better news. I can only imagine your devastation. :grouphug

Guest Mom2Shiloh

All I can send is prayers and healing energy .. I am so terribly sorry.

I think about what I would do ... and try not to think about it too much. Praying for Patton and you and your new little girl. My heart aches.

Guest bigorangedog

Oh $#i+. I am so, so sorry. We've had 5 osteo pups this year, and I know how it feels when it seems like you just cannot do it again. I also know you'll do what you need to do for Patton. It just sucks.

Definitely bump up the Tramadol. I'd double it, in fact, if he can handle it without side-effects (anxiety, etc). You can add Deramaxx too.

(FWIW, it's a very personal decision, but if you want to talk about amputation, I'm happy to answer any Qs you might have.)