Looking For Long-Term Osteo Survivors

Guest MZH

Do you or did you have a long-term osteosarcoma survivor? If so, I'd love to publish your story on Greyhound Articles Online in a new article that's really an extension of the original "Dogs of Hope: Long-term Osteosarcoma Survivors" published in 2004. That one has stories of 27 month to 51 month survivors. OK, one Great Dane is included so yes, any breed long-term survivor story is welcome.

"Dogs of Hope 2010" has two stories in it so far. One is about Dr Suzanne Stack's Aussie, who lived an outstanding 56 months after amp and treatment. (Yep, Aussie's owner is the vet whose articles are the meat of GreytHealth.:) ) The second one is about Jaxen Blackshaw-Samson who lived more than 46 months. Both crossed the Bridge for reasons other than osteo and lived nice lives despite their ailments.

So, please PM me if you've got a story to tell. Dogs of Hope 2010 will go online in a couple of days but anyone can submit their stories at any time; I'll add stories as they come in. Maybe we could continue by adding a summary of Winslow's story.... talk about a dog who lived a nice life!

You might want to get in touch with Bev (Bevd) :) :) :)

Linky :yay :yay

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

Yeah, now that's the kind of story I'm looking for; if it's an encouraging story, I want it!:thumbs-up

Kerry, if you find more stories like this, please keep feeding them to me; thanks so much! :colgate

Guest bigorangedog

Yeah, now that's the kind of story I'm looking for; if it's an encouraging story, I want it!:thumbs-up

Kerry, if you find more stories like this, please keep feeding them to me; thanks so much! :colgate

Queen Winnie was one. Her mom Nancy is here under queenwinniesmom (I think that's right). Both my boys only made it 6 months. :-(

Jen, your "What to Expect" blog is fantastic. I'm sorry about your boys only making it to 6 months. It really makes one wonder why some make it for the long term and some don't. I'm eager to find a correlation; it was looking like dogs with infections seem to live longer, but it's not been proven, AFAIK. It didn't work for your Apollo, unfortunately.:(

Edited by MZH

Hi! Yes, my Winnie was a long term osteo survivor. Though we lost her in 2007, one month shy of her 12th birthday, to kidney failure, we believe that, like Winslow, she kicked the monters's butt. And Winnie could sure kick some butt. She had 3 1/2 great years with us after her diagnosis and amputation.

I will PM you with more info.

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

Winslow definitely needs to be included :nod

If you want stories about osteo dogs who didn't have amps, let me know. Sutra is now 4 months post diagnosis, and NeylasMom's Neyla is 3 months post diagnosis. Both are doing great :thumbs-up

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

Bosha lived 3 years and 8 months. If you PM me, I'll have his Mom, Barb, contact you.

Casual Bling & Hope for Hounds
Summer-3bjpg.jpg
Janet & the hounds Maggie and Allen Missing my baby girl Peanut, old soul Jake, quirky Jet, Mama Grandy and my old Diva Miz Foxy; my angel, my inspiration. You all brought so much into my light, and taught me so much about the power of love, you are with me always.
If you get the chance to sit it out or dance.......... I hope you dance! Missing our littlest girl.

Hi! Yes, my Winnie was a long term osteo survivor. Though we lost her in 2007, one month shy of her 12th birthday, to kidney failure, we believe that, like Winslow, she kicked the monters's butt. And Winnie could sure kick some butt. She had 3 1/2 great years with us after her diagnosis and amputation.

I will PM you with more info.

Looking forward to hearing from you!

Bosha lived 3 years and 8 months. If you PM me, I'll have his Mom, Barb, contact you.

Done!

If you want stories about osteo dogs who didn't have amps, let me know. Sutra is now 4 months post diagnosis, and NeylasMom's Neyla is 3 months post diagnosis. Both are doing great :thumbs-up

Those don't fit the title but that could be a different series of stories. I'll be glad to create a different article about these dogs. Send 'em on over.:)

Guest greysadv

Do you or did you have a long-term osteosarcoma survivor? If so, I'd love to publish your story on Greyhound Articles Online in a new article that's really an extension of the original "Dogs of Hope: Long-term Osteosarcoma Survivors" published in 2004. That one has stories of 27 month to 51 month survivors. OK, one Great Dane is included so yes, any breed long-term survivor story is welcome.

"Dogs of Hope 2010" has two stories in it so far. One is about Dr Suzanne Stack's Aussie, who lived an outstanding 56 months after amp and treatment. (Yep, Aussie's owner is the vet whose articles are the meat of GreytHealth.:) ) The second one is about Jaxen Blackshaw-Samson who lived more than 46 months. Both crossed the Bridge for reasons other than osteo and lived nice lives despite their ailments.

So, please PM me if you've got a story to tell. Dogs of Hope 2010 will go online in a couple of days but anyone can submit their stories at any time; I'll add stories as they come in. Maybe we could continue by adding a summary of Winslow's story.... talk about a dog who lived a nice life!

Those don't fit the title but that could be a different series of stories. I'll be glad to create a different article about these dogs. Send 'em on over.:)

If you do decide to pursue this at some point, I started a thread a little while ago looking for other people who had chosen palliative care and whose dogs had made it past 3 months. From what I had gathered reading threads on this board, it seemed most people who went that route got 3 months or often much less, but rarely more. You can see from the thread I didn't find many people, although I know there is one other who got something like 10 months who didn't respond there, and I'm sure there are others who also missed my thread. You may find a few other people who would be wiling to contribute if you look there.

Anyway, I think it's a worthwhile story to do, and I hope the numbers will continue to increase. We only just passed 3 months a week ago, Neyla is doing terrific and I am so grateful, but I'd be hesitant submit anything just now. Being superstitious I suppose.

Edited by NeylasMom

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

You could go to www.tripawds.com and ask there, too. Not all the tripods on the site are osteosarcoma dogs, but some are. Of course, they're not all greyhounds, either.

It's worth a look; thanks!

Guest ktarantino

Jut saw your post. Our boy is almost 8 and was diagnosed with osteo 2 weeks ago. We decided not to get the amputation...but do pain management, I would love to be in contact with others that are in the same boat

I emailed Winslow's folks a week or two ago but haven't heard back so it remains to be seen if Winslow's story will be in the article. (I sure would love to have it) Speaking of the article, Dogs of Hope 2010 went online yesterday evening. So far, it has four stories with more to come.

A second story angle I'd like to cover are shorter-term survivors and new amputees who are still here who lived or are living wonderful lives post diagnosis. If you send me those stories I'll start another article or even two. :) These would include dogs who don't have chemo or who don't have the amputation or those who have neither but have palliative care instead. Thanks for the idea, NeylasMom.

Incidentally, one long-term survivor (40 months) had no chemo - just the amp.

ktarantino, if you go to the article and subscribe to the comments section, you can read comments as they come in. The Circle of Grey group would be a wonderful place for you to go to be in constant contact with others in your situation. There might be others.

Marcia, thanks so much for putting Winnie's (long!) story in. I was proud to have her included (even though I cried when I read it again), and I know she would be too.

It was my girl who only had the amp, no chemo. We did use the artemisinin, though.

Oh, Winslow's story would be amazing. Glynis did so much for him, down to having him swim on a regular basis. I think it would be very informative, as well as a huge inspiration. He is greatly missed.

Edited by queenwinniesmom

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

I really want Winslow's story but I can't use it without permission. :weep

I'm getting psyched to do stories about the shorter term dogs who lived really happy lives despite their diagnosis. Those stories are also truly inspiring too!

Ain't online stories great? They can be fluid and added onto "whenever" and even corrected in the blink of an eye.

PS Nancy. I am glad to put your "long" story in; details are good! It was wonderful!

Edited by MZH