It Has Been 4 Months...

It has been 4 months since Sutra's osteo diagnosis. Like most, he has good days and not so great days. Thankfully he has more good days than anything. His limp is a little bit more pronounced, but he does not seem to be in pain. He has a great appetite, takes his medications like a good boy, and orders me around the house.

Since I lost my job a couple of weeks ago, I have been home a lot, which means he can order me around more often than he could before :lol He tells me when it's time for meals and when it's time for bedtime. He also informs me when it's time for Fig Newtons.

Over the last month or so, he's begun to roach. He can't hold it for very long, but, I was able to get a picture of his best one yet the other night:

SutraRoach.jpg

We are truly blessed to have this time together :wub:

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

Guest greymama002

So glad that Sutra is still enjoying the good things in life! Wonderful picture; especially the teeny bit of tongue peeking out the side of the mouth.

Wishing you and Sutra many more good times!

I'm glad he's hanging in--or out as the case may be. :D I hope he remains comfortable for a good long while yet.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

Sweeeeeeet boy! I'm glad he's doing well.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

WOW!!! so glad sutra is doing so very well!!!! ok, please share all your tips, tricks, treatments with us that are in the battle......since you mentioned limp i presume sutra's tumor was on the leg?? what treatment are you using? any help to those of us fighting osteo right now would be super! thank you --

Edited by teri_d

Teri, Sutra has osteosarcoma in his right shoulder. I did not opt for amputation, as I wasn't sure how well he would do getting around without a front leg. As far as 12 year olds go, he has great muscle tone in his hind end, but, his balance hadn't been the greatest when it was time to make the decision. We also weren't sure how he would handle chemo since he has other health issues. I didn't figure there was much point in amputation if we couldn't do chemo :dunno

He eats a low carb, grain free kibble (Taste of the Wild Pacific Stream). He is on 200mg artemisinin in the morning, with one Omega 3 caplet. After about an hour, he gets fed and has 50mg of Deramaxx. I add tramadol or robaxin (muscle relaxer) as needed (sometimes he overdoes it in the yard and gets sore). He goes to the chiropractor regularly. In January he dislocated the shoulder and has some muscle/neck issues because of it. Getting regular chiropractic adjustments helps. Every 28 days he has a pamidronate infusion (encourages new bone growth). In the morning he gets two scoops of Springtime Inc's Longevity supplement in some canned Blue Buffalo Fish and Sweet Potato. He also takes Springtime's joint health tablets. If he's having a tough time, he has 50mg of Deramaxx before bed as well. That almost always ensures he will wake up feeling good :)

He is not allowed to run in the yard, but he's generally on the slower side anyway (he's 12.5 years old) so that's not usually a problem. I do not allow him to jump down from the bed or out of the car. He gets lifted for that :nod I make sure he has nice cushy things to lay on (he's a bit of a lanky, bony guy) and he often just sleeps in bed with me. He has generally lazy days, but does enjoy trips to my parents' house to visit.

All of that, and lots of love, no secrets here :wub: He's my buddy boy and my heart dog, for sure :nod

There are too many lost to this horrible disease...and many far too quickly after being diagnosed. It sounds weird to say that we are lucky, but, as far as osteo goes, we definitely are. I know that the time is coming that we will have to say goodbye to one another, but, we aren't planning to worry about that until we have to :)

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

Guest FullMetalFrank
:wub::wub: Sutra.... It's the fig newtons, I tell ya! I am glad he is doing well; what a sweet, lovely boy he is. I hope that you get to enjoy lots more quality time together.

That is greyt news that Sutra is doing well, love the roach! Give him a hug from me.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Teri, Sutra has osteosarcoma in his right shoulder. I did not opt for amputation, as I wasn't sure how well he would do getting around without a front leg. As far as 12 year olds go, he has great muscle tone in his hind end, but, his balance hadn't been the greatest when it was time to make the decision. We also weren't sure how he would handle chemo since he has other health issues. I didn't figure there was much point in amputation if we couldn't do chemo :dunno

He eats a low carb, grain free kibble (Taste of the Wild Pacific Stream). He is on 200mg artemisinin in the morning, with one Omega 3 caplet. After about an hour, he gets fed and has 50mg of Deramaxx. I add tramadol or robaxin (muscle relaxer) as needed (sometimes he overdoes it in the yard and gets sore). He goes to the chiropractor regularly. In January he dislocated the shoulder and has some muscle/neck issues because of it. Getting regular chiropractic adjustments helps. Every 28 days he has a pamidronate infusion (encourages new bone growth). In the morning he gets two scoops of Springtime Inc's Longevity supplement in some canned Blue Buffalo Fish and Sweet Potato. He also takes Springtime's joint health tablets. If he's having a tough time, he has 50mg of Deramaxx before bed as well. That almost always ensures he will wake up feeling good :)

He is not allowed to run in the yard, but he's generally on the slower side anyway (he's 12.5 years old) so that's not usually a problem. I do not allow him to jump down from the bed or out of the car. He gets lifted for that :nod I make sure he has nice cushy things to lay on (he's a bit of a lanky, bony guy) and he often just sleeps in bed with me. He has generally lazy days, but does enjoy trips to my parents' house to visit.

All of that, and lots of love, no secrets here :wub: He's my buddy boy and my heart dog, for sure :nod

There are too many lost to this horrible disease...and many far too quickly after being diagnosed. It sounds weird to say that we are lucky, but, as far as osteo goes, we definitely are. I know that the time is coming that we will have to say goodbye to one another, but, we aren't planning to worry about that until we have to :)

thank you so much - i have gotten a few tips here - i appreciate the info so much!! yes, we feel so grateful to still have rivie with us and doing ok - we just love her and enjoy everyday!! congrats to sutra - i hope i am still asking you for tips/help/advice for a REAL long time!!!!!

How wonderful Sutra looks!

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.

Good job Sutra!!! :yay You just keep it up for your momma' - there is much more spoiling to be had if you do. ;)

Love the roach picture. :wub: Kristin, do you have any of the bolster beds? If not, I think Sutra is in need of one stat - they are very helpful in assisting with roach maintenance. :)

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Kristin, it makes me so happy to see this post. Sutra was diagnosed the day that Riley died, and I am so thankful that you've had so much quality time with him. You are obviously doing something right :wub: Please give that boy a kiss for me, and I hope to see another update like this in a few more months :)

Good job Sutra!!! :yay You just keep it up for your momma' - there is much more spoiling to be had if you do. ;)

Love the roach picture. :wub: Kristin, do you have any of the bolster beds? If not, I think Sutra is in need of one stat - they are very helpful in assisting with roach maintenance. :)

We don't *technically* have a bolster bed here Jen, but, the corner of my bedroom is nothing but a sea of cushions and pillows. He really only does the roaching when he is on MY bed. Often throughout the night he does lots of sideways stretching too. The roach is very elusive :lol

Guest greytloves

What a greyt thing to be able to have this time with him. We did with our Jo. We caught it at such a small spot that we did the same as you and kept her with us for over six months (just shy of seven) after diagnosis. Once the spot grew and became visible, her appetite dwindled and then we knew our time was ending and I was so very grateful that she gave us six months. I think I hugged and kissed her a million times a day. But then she always loved being as close to you as possible. I hate it when you hear of the diagnosis and instant end. By the time Jo was ready, we were ready. Enjoy and cherish every day.