Mast Cell Tumor

Guest Mollysmom10

Guest Mollysmom10

I just lost my dog two weeks ago. She had a growth that we later found was a Mast Cell tumor. I had never heard of this before and did some research on the web. Is there any one else who has had experience with this? Thanks.

Guest RobinAZ

I have a golden retriever mixed girl that had a mast cell tumor. I guess we caught it soon enough (I thought it was just a fatty tumor at first) because she's doing okay. The vet removed the tumor and a very large section around it. I guess it spreads pretty easily, but I massage Misha all the time to see if I can feel any more and so far so good.

Guest TeddysMom

Boxers are very prone to getting mast cell tumors so after 20+ years of doing boxer rescue, every lump or bump is a worry for me, I have them checked immediately and keep a close eye on them. I have them removed with large margins at the slightest change. The main problem with a mast cell tumor is that it can spread inward and the lump doesn't get bigger so I usually just have them removed if they are at all suspicious. Greyhounds seem to be prone to other types of cancer more than the mast cell from what I read but I have only had my greys for a year, I am still learning. I am so sorry for your loss.

First of all, I am so so very sorry for your loss of your baby. Many prayers out to you. On Veterans Day of 2004, I lost a wonderful 10 year old girl with Mast Cell Grade Level 2 Cancer. It was very vascular in her throat region. My wonderful vet then kept her living with dignity an extra 4 months with prednizone treatments. It was then considered rare for Greyhounds to have this type of cancer. Now it seems more and more common. It was a tremendous grief for me. Her name was Sierra (track name was Sierra Drifter).

I will be praying for you.

flowers_pink.gifflowers_pink.gifghrun.gifghrun.gif Run Free Run Free

My Kelsey had a mast cell tumor under the top part of her tail...had her tail amputated, about 6 mo. later she had 3 on her tummy, all removed with clean margins, few months later one on her left rump, removed with clean margins...all were grade 2. We had to put her down on June 4 but the vet feels it was another type of cancer in her shoulder plus other problems. Sorry to hear about your baby.

Guest jettcricket

My heart dog, Jett, died of mast cancer. He had one removed by his penis and it came back as a grade 1 mast cell tumor. We were so relieved, but unfortunately he developed one internally under his arm pit that came back as a grade 3 tumor. We lost him a few months later...

My heart goes out to you....