I Think I Need Some Advise..

Guest TeddysMom

Guest TeddysMom

Spencer has been here since 4-18 and has been a joy to have around. He has started a behavior that I am not sure how to handle. He has always been fed in his crate and when I am going to be gone for more than a few minutes otherwise he is loose in the house. For the last few days he has been peeing in his crate before I can even get his food delivered and then he lays in it. I had a foam bed in the crate the first time so I replaced that with a comforter then today I put him outside, watched him pee, put him in the crate with no blanket. It took all of 5 minutes to get his food fixed and he had already peed and lay in it. :( He has no problem holding it for a few hours loose in the house and never marks or pees overnight. He has no fever, pee doesn't smell rank and is fine otherwise. Any idea as to what is going on? He got a bath and a nail trim but he is not very happy about that as you can see by the pictures.

100_0936.jpg

100_0937.jpg

100_0938.jpg

Guest TeddysMom

Does he pee every time you put him in his crate now?

No, only when I put him in to feed. Overnight or when I am gone he does fine. That is why I think this is behavioral rather than medical.

Guest mcsheltie

Does he pee every time you put him in his crate now?

No, only when I put him in to feed. Overnight or when I am gone he does fine. That is why I think this is behavioral rather than medical.

I would still talk to your vet about it. A low grade UTI can make it hard to hold when they get very excited. In the meantime I would have his food prepared and sitting on top of his crate. Put him in there, stand there while he eats and the moment he is done take him straight outside. Do that for a while and see if it breaks the behavior cycle.

Guest FullMetalFrank

I agree that it could be a UTI and the excitement of feeding time is making it too hard for him to hold it. Probably worthwhile to get him checked out!

If he checks out okay medically, you might try leaving him out of the crate and using muzzle or baby gates instead. After 3 to 4 months, many dogs just tire of being in their crates. This could be Spencer's way of telling you he has had enough.

Jenn

gallery_3252_2927_10878.jpg

Guest TeddysMom

If he checks out okay medically, you might try leaving him out of the crate and using muzzle or baby gates instead. After 3 to 4 months, many dogs just tire of being in their crates. This could be Spencer's way of telling you he has had enough.

Jenn

Hi Jenn, Spencer is only in the crate to eat, when I have to run an errand otherwise, my dogs have the run of the house and the greyhounds are muzzled. We are retired so are home 98% of the time. That is why I am confused about this behavior of peeing only when he is waiting for his food dish to be delivered. I will get a sample in tomorrow but will be trying to put his food dish in as soon as I put him in the crate to eat in case it is excitement.

I think I'd make his food while he is out of the crate and only crate him when you have his food in your hands so that when he goes into the crate, he immediately gets his bowl and then let him out when he's done and straight outside. I know that can be tricky with a large pack, but it might work.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest TeddysMom

Thankfully, no UTI for Spencer. For the last 2 feedings I have got everyone else settled in their places then got Spencer's food ready, took him for a short walk, put him in his crate with his food and no peeing. Hopefully he will keep up the good behavior, just a quirk I guess.

Guest TeddysMom

Well, by yesterday, I just knew that Spencer wasn't feeling right so I caught another urine sample this morning and had another test done. He does have a UTI after all so he is on antibiotics for 10 days. Poor baby, I hate it when they don't feel well. Hopefully this will take care of the pee problem.

Ah, hope that will solve his problem! Good on you for taking another sample in.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.