Legacy Dog Food

The people at Canine Commissary are really pushing this food to me for Poodle. They say that peas are very very low glycemic (or whatever that term is). It sounds like a good deal but while I've seen peas in dog food, I haven't seen them this far up the ingredient list (#3) as in used instead of rice or such. Ideas? Experiences? It is $20 for 8 pounds so way more than twice what I'm paying for the Natural Balance he is doing fine on. *sigh*

http://www.k9cuisine...t-dog-food.aspx

First 15 ingredients -

Chicken

chicken meal

pea

pea starch

turkey meal

chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols, source of vitamin E)

salmon meal

pea fibre

flaxseed

egg product

salmon oil (preserved with mixed tocopherols, vitamin E)

carrots

apples

broccoli

bok choy

Edited by Hubcitypam
gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

Pam, on their website click on the Blog link and scroll down. There's a Q&A about diabetic cats but their response also includes a comment about diabetic dogs and this food's formula.

Glycemic refers to "sugar" levels in any food. The lower a glycemic index the better control you have of sugar highs.

My link

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Thanks Ducky. I read it and still have no idea what they are saying, exect maybe their food would be good for Poodle. He doesn't have renal issues so far but his bad bout with pancreatitis seems to have made very high protein things like Evo not a good choice.

Guest mcsheltie

The ingredient list is fine. But when you look at the entire list they are having to supplement EVERY single vitamin and mineral, except for phosphorus. Makes you wonder what is the point in all the expensive food ingredients if there is no nutritional value in them. As opposed to this food, where there is no synthetic vitamins and minerals added

With the different health concerns that Poodle has I would not change his food. He is doing well on what he is eating. Balancing pancreatic issue and diabetes is not easy. If it's not broke, don't fix it. (or should I say don't F with it B) )

With the different health concerns that Poodle has I would not change his food. He is doing well on what he is eating. Balancing pancreatic issue and diabetes is not easy. If it's not broke, don't fix it. (or should I say don't F with it cool.gif )

I was going to PM you to come read this thread. :blush

My only interest in switching foods would be if the peas really are lower glycemic maybe we could reduce his units of insulin by diet. I just think 19 is a boatload for a 27 pound dog. :dunno

Guest mcsheltie

With the different health concerns that Poodle has I would not change his food. He is doing well on what he is eating. Balancing pancreatic issue and diabetes is not easy. If it's not broke, don't fix it. (or should I say don't F with it cool.gif )

I was going to PM you to come read this thread. :blush

My only interest in switching foods would be if the peas really are lower glycemic maybe we could reduce his units of insulin by diet. I just think 19 is a boatload for a 27 pound dog. :dunno

Let him stabilize longer before you change anything. As long as his blood sugar is stable, keeping the pancreas happy is the main concern for a while. If he has another attack it would be very bad news. Pancreatitis kills cells that produce insulin. Which explains why his insulin use is so high at this point. Take this time to keep researching. Are you interested in a home prepared diet? This would be the way I would go.

Pam for a human diabetic peas, carrots and apples are eaten very sparingly because of the sugar content. At least that's what I remember from my diabetes nutrition learning when my son was diagnosed at 12.

Greyhound angels at the bridge- Casey, Charlie, Maggie, Molly, Renie, Lucy & Teddy. Beagle angels Peanut and Charlie. And to all the 4 legged Bridge souls who have touched my heart, thank you. When a greyhound looks into you eyes it seems they touch your very soul.

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more then he loves himself". Josh Billings

siggie-7.jpg

Are you interested in a home prepared diet? This would be the way I would go.

blush.gif as my own diet largely consists of "dead food" mistakes at work (I did score 1/2 a ribeye that way last night), Taco Cabana or a salad with a Lean Cusine/Budget Gourmet most nights I might not be a candidate for home cooking. Plus it does sound very challenging to get the minerals right.

I looked at a site and it said what I am feeding now has a carb count of 52 and the Legacy is 38. Don't know how big a difference that is.

You guys are right -- if it ain't broke don't fix it. I'll quit trying to reinvent the wheel and stop listening to pushy saleswomen clutching discount coupons.

Edited by Hubcitypam