Ticks

never did find a little thing to remove them with.

So minus the tick remover tool, what is the best way to remove an embedded tick.

Just noticed one in the fold of T's ear.

Plucked one off from Jet earlier today that decided to just walk over her.

At Sandy Paws a couple of years ago, GIJenn and Cathie showed us how to take them off using our finger nails. Here is the same info using tweazers, it's a site for parents of children, but the method is the same

Clicky here

Click on the box part way down the page.

Casual Bling & Hope for Hounds
Summer-3bjpg.jpg
Janet & the hounds Maggie and Allen Missing my baby girl Peanut, old soul Jake, quirky Jet, Mama Grandy and my old Diva Miz Foxy; my angel, my inspiration. You all brought so much into my light, and taught me so much about the power of love, you are with me always.
If you get the chance to sit it out or dance.......... I hope you dance! Missing our littlest girl.

Guest Energy11

went with the normal tick removal with tweezers and instead of killing it, offered it to the ducks. Ally enjoyed her first tick lol.gif

NOW, THAT is amazing! Recycling a tick! Love it! Love your duckies, too! colgate.gif

Our group sells these:

http://www.tickkey.com/

We love them and have not heard one complaint about them. We can't keep them in stock. You don't have to touch the tick.

Someone here suggested the key before so I bought a couple. I haven't had to use it but my BIL has used it several times and he said it's great

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Houndstown

If it's embedded and you don't want to touch it, you can saturate a cotton ball with alcohol and lay it on the tick. The tick will un-embed on its own so you can pull it off easily.

Ewww. Can't stand the suckers. But then, who does. I use tweezers as others mentioned, and get as close to the skin as possible. Once I have the nasty thing, I drop it into the flame of a candle - it is gone quick. As to other methods of de-ticking, if you have the patience, I understand that putting soft soap on a cotton ball and covering the tick with it will cause the tick to release or back out of the skin in a very short time. Guess that it feels suffocated. I have not actually done this because I want them gone as quickly as possible, but perhaps if tweezers are not available, this would work. I give those credit that grab with their fingernails. ekk.

Here is something I found as to their purpose, as someone asked: (Doesn't make me feel any better about them though.)

Ticks play an important role in the food chain of an ecosystem. Ticks and other small parasitic insects are a favorite food of birds which will often pick engorged ticks right off the body of host animals. Ticks also fall as prey to a number of predatory insects like spiders and parasitic wasps and are often infected by predatory species of nematode and fungus. Ticks are a strong and important link in the food chain as they take nourishment from large host animals high in the food chain and transfer that energy down the chain to lesser organisms.

Read more: What Purpose Do Ticks Serve in the Ecosystem? | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/about_5149803_purpose-do-ticks-serve-ecosystem.html#ixzz0y1tIB3sY

Guest GentleHugs

Just an odd off the wall scientific question here but for the warm bodied animals who eat ticks - if the tick is infected with a tick borne disease, would the warm bodied animal who ate said infected tick get infected, too? dunno.gif

And staying on topic - I HATE ticks. I've used my fingernails before along with a pair of tweezers. If I remove them with my fingernails, I immediately put the tick in alcohol and also wash my hands in alcohol, too. They say there's a chance you can become infected with a TBD if you touch it or crush it with your bare hands.

My next door neighbor got bit by a tick last year after I warned them about contracting a TBD through tick bites. His answer to me was "no big deal". Of course, he thought he a macho kinda guy, too, until he landed in the hospital with his liver enzymes so high they thought his liver was failing. He was admitted while his Dr did a tick test on him. Sure enough - he had Erlichiosis. He was in the hosp for almost a week being given doxy over that.

Guest K9_Lady

Our group sells these:

http://www.tickkey.com/

We love them and have not heard one complaint about them. We can't keep them in stock. You don't have to touch the tick.

Someone here suggested the key before so I bought a couple. I haven't had to use it but my BIL has used it several times and he said it's great

I purchased one from my group and used it the same day, lol! They do work!

Guest mcsheltie

You shouldn't put anything on the tick to kill it or back it out. That will cause the tick to inject a burst of saliva, which contains the bacteria. I always use my fingers. But have been told not to because that can push saliva and blood containing bacteria into the wound. You should use a tweezers and SLOWLY pull it straight out. Don't twist it or it's head may come off. Once you get it out, check to see if all it's parts are there.

Guest iconsmum

oh my god...I'm up here in Toronto and we wouldn't know what a tick was if it walked up and shook hands. Although I hear that lyme disease is being diagnosed more often up here now, it used to be that our doctors would have no clue what those symptomatic actually had because it was unheard of. We need a bit of educating. If I found a tick on me or my dogs, I'd have a heart attack....useless owner :)))