Dressing A Leg Wound

Guest HutchKC

Guest HutchKC

Hi, need some help. One of our girls has some kind of cut or rubbed wound on the forearm of her front leg. We didn't notice it until she had licked it raw. It's not bleeding and doesn't need sutures, but it does need bandaging. We've tried several dressings attempting to make sure they're not too tight, but each just fall down or are licked down.

So our questions are: What materials do we need? And how tight can we wrap it?

Thanks!

Guest Energy11

I use that self-sticking vet wrap and you can wrap it over gauze.

This is a good idea, and you can also buy the jumbo bandaids, and just try them. No matter, that area is VERY touch to wrap :-( ... Good Luck!

Here is a link to the type of wrap mentioned above so you can see what it looks like. Wound Wrap. This is what it will be called at a drug store.

At a farm supply or pet store it will be called Vet Wrap and is about 1/3 of the price. At a Farm Supply it is usually with the medications and/or Horse / Cattle items.

Whichever you use, be sure to place a sterile dressing of some sort on the wound before wrapping it.

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

Lenny injured himself a couple of days ago in the same spot and because of his licking I wrapped with gauze and vet wrap.

If you're finding that the bandage is sliding down, you can get velcro strips to keep it on and it wouldn't need to be tight to hold the bandage up.

Good luck

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Guest greybookends

Exactly where on the leg is the cut? I personally like to leave a wound open to air IF it is possible. If it is high enough on the leg where you can put a t-shirt or something light on the hound (it's awfully hot out there these days)and the sleeve covers the wound it should allow the air to get to it and keep the hound from licking it. Just a thought. I hope your girl heals quickly. :)

Guest gr8hound47

Hi, need some help. One of our girls has some kind of cut or rubbed wound on the forearm of her front leg. We didn't notice it until she had licked it raw. It's not bleeding and doesn't need sutures, but it does need bandaging. We've tried several dressings attempting to make sure they're not too tight, but each just fall down or are licked down.

So our questions are: What materials do we need? And how tight can we wrap it?

Thanks!

H

Guest gr8hound47

Hi,I had my greyhound girl at the vet today and my vet showed me a neat way to wrap a foot/leg so the bandage will stay. My girl has cut on her front foot right next to the nail. I hope I can explain this well. He wrapped her foot normal with little bit of gauze then wrapped tape around that, but then he made a stirrup on her leg. He took two long strips and ran them up and down her leg, left 2 tails hanging off the end, then wrapped coban around it, brought up the ends and taped to the coban, then wrapped little more coban over the tape. He said it will keep it from sliding down, like they always do. Hope this helps

Guest HutchKC

Thanks all. My wife beat me to the punch and brought home some of the self-sticking bandages before I could pass on your advice. Working well so far. Unfortunately, leaving the wound open to the air is what caused her to lick it so much. Thanks so much for the help.

Guest PhillyPups

Another tip I learned from a vet for skinny leg wrapping is a big thick sanitary napkin (the kind our Mama's used to wear) on either side. The extra padding allows you to make the bandage tight enough to stay up without being too tight.

Good luck.

I take some of my skinny socks, cut most of the foot part out and slide it on the leg, then use tape, the kind that doesn't pull when you take it off, and tape around the top. This gives it air and you can also put medicine on it. Has worked greyt for my two.

Guest sheila

I had a dog with a permanent open wound on his leg. He had been injured prior to my adopting him and the skin was torn past the basal membrane and would never fully heal or grow a scab or skin. The best I could do was keep it moist and it had to be open to air or it could become ulcerated. I invented a 'sleeve' for times when it began to irritate him and he would lick it and make it much worse. I would line the inside of the sleeve with a womans panty liner that served as an absorbent padding and added another barrier to his licking. I created a velcro opening in the sleeve that allowed me to change the liner easily. I will include a pic so you can see what I'm talking about. I took this pic right before I finished the edges to check on fit etc.

000_0216.jpg