Fleas

Guest greyhound1

Guest greyhound1

I have never had a problem with fleas. I spray the dogs with Adams spray and use frontline. What can I spray the carpets with that is safe?

I used something called 'Acclaim'. It disrupts the flea reproductive cycle by stopping the larval stages maturing I think. You spray it on and around where the dog goes, crevices, fabrics etc. I left the room for an afternoon to be safe. Fleas didn't come back.

http://www.vetuk.co.uk/flea-products-household-flea-sprays-c-3_419/acclaim-house-flea-spray-400ml-can-p-16

...............and vacuum every day for a minimum of 21 days. Some here in FL have found that Frontline is no longer working. Don't know why. My Vet has heard it from so many of her clients that she believes it now. I use De Flea Shampoo once a month, Advantage after they are completely dry from bathing and mist lightly with Adams before our evening walk. I live in an area with a closed canal so it's a mosquito breeding ground so the Adams helps with both. I vacuum A LOT and change bedding at least once a week.

It's a battle...................

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

I used Advantage with Heartguard many years ago but switched to Revolution a few years ago. I like using just one product instead of two, there's less chance of me forgetting! LOL! In all my years, I've never had a flea on my dog or in my house, with either Advantage or Revolution.

Edited by OwnedBySummer

SummerGreytalkSignatureResized-1.jpg

Lisa B.

My beautiful Summer - to her forever home May 1, 2010 Summer

Certified therapy dog team with St. John Ambulance

Guest Energy11

I used something called 'Acclaim'. It disrupts the flea reproductive cycle by stopping the larval stages maturing I think. You spray it on and around where the dog goes, crevices, fabrics etc. I left the room for an afternoon to be safe. Fleas didn't come back.

http://www.vetuk.co....-400ml-can-p-16

Yes! My Mother just got this, and says it works great! Worth a try!

Where do you buy comfortis?

Stinks that the Frontline and Adams isn't working. I have a good friend who is using Comfortis, with good results, and she is in Central Fla. You get it at the vets. Good Luck! Fleas bite, literally and figuratively!

Guest TeddysMom

I picked up a spray at the vets last week and it seems to have helped a lot. It is Mycodex Plus and is supposed to break the flea life cycle for up to 210 days. I had to switch to Comfortis, Advantage & Frontline are useless for some reason, and still mist the dogs with Adams spray once a week. This is the worst year for fleas here in more than a decade from what the vet said, I guess it is the high heat and humidity. I still sprinkle the food grade DE everywhere the dogs lay or sleep and around the edge of the baseboards. I am so looking forward to the first good freeze to be rid of these critters for a few months.

Guest eaglflyt

Where do you buy comfortis?

Comfortis is currently available only through vet offices or veterinary online pharmacies that require a prescription. Some have reported finding it online without a prescription, but I haven't found it myself.

Guest vtgreys

My vet's also confirmed that Frontline is no longer working and he doesn't recommend it anymore. Only reason he keeps it around is for ticks, cause it does still work for that. Revolution is the way to go for fleas - I just stocked up on that today, as even in Vermont, the little vampires are rampant this year.

Guest GreyFan09

I would get some food grade DE and sprinkle it over the carpets after vacuuming.

Might be a dumb question, but what is "DE"?

Just found a couple of fleas on our dog who has always been on Frontline. Vet said that the fleas should die after 24 hrs. using the Frontline. I washed all bedding and vacumed. Just wondering what else to do.

Thanks.

Guest Swifthounds

De is diatomaceaous earth. For use against fleas and ticks, etc. in your yard, home, and on your dogs you need the food grade of DE (as opposed to the type sold for pool supply).

Guest GreyFan09

De is diatomaceaous earth. For use against fleas and ticks, etc. in your yard, home, and on your dogs you need the food grade of DE (as opposed to the type sold for pool supply).

Thanks! Where can you buy food grade DE? Just sprinkle it on the carpet and it kills fleas?

Guest Swifthounds

You can order DE online or get it through a local health food store or co-op. You simply sprinkle it where you want to kill the fleas.

You don't want to inhale it or have your dogs do so, because it's a desiccant (which is how it kills bugs) and can be lung irritating. You can just keep the hounds out of the area you're spinkling and use a dust mask if you're concerned you might get it airborn (with a little practice you can usually sprinkle without dousing the air as well).

It's a good idea to do a good thorough vacuuming (and toss the bag outside immediately if you are treating an infestation) before putting down the DE so that you can vacuum lightly next time and just be able to spot treat the higher traffic areas. You can use it to treat yards/lawns as well, but you want to keep in mind that it doesn't discriminate, so won't have fleas where you sprinkle, but you won't have good things like earthworms either.

Comfortis is outstanding for flea control.

I have to agree, Comfortis works great. The fleas are dead in 30 min. At least the ones on the dog, Carpet is another battle. I vacume with our shop vac(no bags to deal with) and then empty the canister and take straight outside. Also spray the inside of the shop vac with Adams spray to kill any left in there. This is the first year we've really had a problem with fleas.

I found the Comfortis on line, but you do need a Rx. My vet doesn't carry it so had to go the online route. Best price I found was VetDepot . We use 1/2 a pill per dog per month and it works just as well as a whole pill.

Trish, Thorpe, Thorton, Solstice and Remy
Come see us at Milkys Greyt Goodies Fleece coats, cool-down coats, pajamas and Scrunchies for the well dressed greyhound