Tuna Is Down, Won't Get Up

I arrived home to find Tuna laying on her side the kitchen floor up against the box fan (which had slid up against the fridge). I keep her contained to the kitchen when I am not home, because of her hind end weakness and not wanting her to get herself worn out walking around the house, but she has a soft bed to lay on so she must have gotten up, fallen, and could not get herself back up. The dog sitter was here at 12 noon, her note makes no mention of Tuna being weak or out of sorts, she noted that Tuna went outside to pee & poop and only ate 1/4 of her lunch. I tried to assist Tuna, she snapped at me and whacked her mouth against the fridge causing gushing blood to come out. I put a muzzle on her, slid a towel under her body, slid her over to her bed and then slid her onto it. I have a bad back, made worse by the fact I took a fall down the steps the other morning (on my back), I cannot carry her. Once on her bed, I tried again to help her get upright, she couldn't or wouldn't do it. I took off the muzzle, cleaned up the blood, gave her a can of nutritional supplement in her bowl which she lapped up (while still laying on her side, I had to tilt the bowl). I tried calling my vet, no answer, left a message. I have no one to help me, I don't know what to do. I feel this could be her "sign", that it's time to let her go. I don't want some vet I do not know to be the one to put her down if it is time, and I cannot get her up and in the car anyways. Help, anyone, what do I do?

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

OMG! Do you have a neighbor that can help? If she is snapping like that she is likely in serious pain.

I'd be knocking on doors getting help getting her in the car and to the vet -- your vet, e - vet, any vet. They will unload her on a stretcher.

Many thoughts and prayers from here.

Edited by Hubcitypam
gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

I was about to offer the same thing Pat. So PM either of us and one of us will call you.

Casual Bling & Hope for Hounds
Summer-3bjpg.jpg
Janet & the hounds Maggie and Allen Missing my baby girl Peanut, old soul Jake, quirky Jet, Mama Grandy and my old Diva Miz Foxy; my angel, my inspiration. You all brought so much into my light, and taught me so much about the power of love, you are with me always.
If you get the chance to sit it out or dance.......... I hope you dance! Missing our littlest girl.

Hoping someone can come give you a hand. Sending hugs and prayers meanwhile.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Wilmington, DE. I tried calling my regular sitter at home and on her cell (not the one that comes on lunch) and no answer. The sitters that come out on lunch are from a company, so it's different sitters different days. My regular sitter I trust and would want her help if she were available, but seems she is not.

hoping everything is ok and that you have someone helping you already

Camp Broodie with tuxedo Summer 12 and tuxedo Dio 6

Missing KC Kitty 2000-2016, Myka and part of my heart 2006-2020, and Saint YellBoy 2014-2020

Guest kelli123

This may sound funny but could the police help . or the dog catcher? I have called the police for help with animal stuff around here.. Im praying for you and Tuna

Guest lovemyhounds

Does your vet have an emergency number or could you call an emergency vet and see if they had any advice to offer?

Guest lovemyhounds

There is a no kill shelter called Faithful Friends in Wilmington that says it is open until 7PM...maybe they can help or give you a suggestion...the number listed on their website is 302-427-8514. Sending prayers.

PhillyPups, thanks for the talk.

I called 5blackgreys who suggested I call Delaware Pet Cremations who can send out a vet to my home, have Tuna put down, then she will go off to be cremated. Going to spend a few moments with her to try one last time if she will get up before I make that call.

Thank you, one and all.

I was going to suggest calling a local fire department, those boys are usually very helpful.

It is an awful feeling, that of being alone. But thank goodness for your friends here who were able to help you. I'm sorry you are not closer for a real hug. grouphug.gif

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

I just did a search for "Pet Taxi Service" in Wilmington and came up with a service called K-9 Fred.

Based on a quick glance of the webpage it looks like they could be an option to help with transporting Tuna. I do not know them or anything about them, but it's another option that is in your area. Phone numbers are:

Contact Info:

302-757-3832 302-290-6644

Sorry you and Tuna are going through this.

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

Guest PhillyPups

Just say the word and I will be there lady - I am with you emotionally anyway - I can be there in under 3/4 of an hour - Jenn - IsntItGreyt will come over and be with you if you want - we are here for you and Tuna. :bighug