Should We Keep Walking Together Or Separate For A Week Or So?

As I mentioned in another thread, our new boy Ajax is just a teensy bit spooky. He's also anxious on walks a lot. He goes from being bouncy-thrilled when I grab the leashes, to running away from the door when I open it, to pulling me across the yard, to settling into a proper walk, to spinning in circles if a noisy truck passes by, back to a nice walk, and finally pulling me when we're within sight of home again. I can handle all of that, except that little miss Capri wants to walk v e r y s l o w l y during the summertime. In Virginia it doesn't really cool off that much in the evenings, so doing a later walk doesn't help her much. Which means at best he's pulling me forward and she's pulling me back. I need 98% of my attention on him and she would be fine with 2% of attention if she would only walk at a brisker pace. But she refuses and actually pulls back when I try to encourage her to go faster. She tucks her head down, ears down, eyes down, generally looks miserable while her collar is just behind her ears and looks like I'm about to pop her little head off.

I don't want to bully my sweet girl like that, but the boy needs a lot of work. I'm thinking about walking them separately for a week or so. I know generally it's better to walk them together, but it doesn't seem to be working in this case. I tried putting them both in the same leash hand and on the same side of me next to each other. But since she wants to go .001mph and he wants to go 130mph, she still is unhappy and gets her head pulled off and he pays no attention to her at all. It's better to have them on either side of me in separate hands, but then I'm the subject of the "let's make a wish" game. :lol

Do you guys think in this case walking them separately for a while is a good idea? If not, what would be better?

Sharon, Loki, Freyja, Capri (bridge angel and most beloved heart dog), Ajax (bridge angel) and Sweetie Pie (cat)

Visit Hound-Safe.com by Something Special Pet Supplies for muzzles and other dog safety products

:gh_bow

Guest boondog

I would probably try walking them separately. It will make it much easier to work with him. Once Ajax calms down, you can start walking them together again.

Guest BooBooMama

My Jen did the same thing when Jamie came along but it had nothing to do with the heat. I think she just wanted to be in control over Jamie and slow her down. Before Jamie was adopted Jen walked at my pace but after Jamie joined us she walked as if she was on half power. Jamie was a bit of a spook so she would pull and do a lot of the things you described that Ajax does. I continued to walk them together but just changed my pace- a little slower than Jamie, a little faster than Jen. Eventually Jamie calmed down. When she did- Jen sped up her pace!

Just a thought........

Actually, Capri liked to go very slowly even before we adopted Ajax. She may be slowing down even MORE, but DH and I have been commenting to each other about her walking preferences for several months now. She seems to be a cool weather dog - willing to go briskly when it's very cool but when the temps get over about 70, she goes into turtle mode.

Sharon, Loki, Freyja, Capri (bridge angel and most beloved heart dog), Ajax (bridge angel) and Sweetie Pie (cat)

Visit Hound-Safe.com by Something Special Pet Supplies for muzzles and other dog safety products

:gh_bow

Guest BooBooMama

Actually, Capri liked to go very slowly even before we adopted Ajax. She may be slowing down even MORE, but DH and I have been commenting to each other about her walking preferences for several months now. She seems to be a cool weather dog - willing to go briskly when it's very cool but when the temps get over about 70, she goes into turtle mode.

Then maybe you do need to walk Ajax alone until he is more comfortable with leash walking. Try walking them together at least once a week so that the duo leash walking training does not go completely to the wayside.

I would defifantely walk them separately, to do training for Ajax, for a while. Many times, walking with another dog definately helps a timid dog. You've tried that - it's not working. Capri doesn't have the personality to help Axaj. You've

Been there - tried that" didn't work - move on. :)

Now start working on Ajak alone. He needs to work on his issues - and probably can get past them - but it's going to require your FULL attention - you can't give that with Miss Slowpoke on the other leash.

Sounds like Ajax just needs to gain confidence. He's got enthusiasm... but he gets quirky. Ok - that's a good start. Go with enthusiasm... and work through the quirks. Correct consistantly - reward consistantly. He'll learn. It may take a couple weeks of your FULL attention on walks. Constantly praise - reward for good attention when asked for. Correct immediatly when needed. He'll come around. Maybe 2 weeks.

When Ajax is totally reliable, comfortable, relaxed on walks... then bring Capri in. He should trust you and himself by then... to slow down when asked to. To behave. That should make NICE walks for all of you.

But - if he NEEDS more exercise - you may still need to take him on extra - separate- FASTER walks - or hit a dogpark. You can't stifle his energy level - to match hers. You CAN make them do walks together well, though.

You can teach him to walk - confidently with you. :) That's what he wants too.

sobesmom had excellent advise, but i would include capri in at least one of the walks. the other walks can be training and conditiong to all the bustle of everyday life. i like having my dogs trained to walk next to each other, it easier, then i have one hand for an umbrella or a package. he will settle down, try using a treat bag and distract him when a truck comes rumbleing along, that will help- that's what i have done. now my dogs walk past anything(we walk pretty busy streets) and nothing phases them. annie also used to jump up and turn around when a strange loud sound came whizzing by, wouldn't enter the house if things looked a tad off and spooked every time a visitor came to the house. most of that is behind her, it took some time, 6 months, but the walking worked it's self out really quickly.

have you thought of wetting capri down before a walk to keep her cool? my dogs love to get hosed down. it might perk her up a tad, she would be more comfortable.

Guest Sweetreba

When I adopted Petey three months after Reba, I knew he was strong and I wanted to make sure he learned some manners before I took the two of them. I walked seperately for a couple weeks till he walked beside me without pulling or crossing over. It took a lot of pulls and commands but he did calm down and behave. My problem when I took them together was how to walk them. Tried split leash, two leashes on the left side. Nothing felt comfortable for controlling them. Finally two leashes one on each side of me so I can correct as needed and they are so well behaved when walking now but it took some work and time, but not as much as I thought it would.