Oh Noooooo!

Roscoe had diarrhea again this morning! I'm beside myself with frustration.

Back story: About 2 weeks ago, Roscoe got explosive diarrhea. I tried to treat it myself for a couple days until it turned to straight blood, and we went to the vet. Sage came down with this 2 days ago. We went right to the vet.

In both cases, they had a fecal and blood work. All was normal. It was determined to be a stomach bug and they were given Flagyl and Pepcid. Bland diet, all that.

Roscoe has been 'better' for several days, and Sage's was caught early and already seems to be under control. But Roscoe showed much urgency to get outside this morning where he had the horrible diarrhea again.

Any thoughts? I'm calling the vet.... I really can't afford this. I couldn't afford it the first time. Is it possible that Roscoe never got over it the first time?

Please excuse me while I laugh and cry.

GTsiggy_zps0481d543.jpg

Lisa with Finnegan (Nina's Fire Fly) and Sage (Gil's Selma). Always missing Roscoe
www.popdogdesigns.net pop art prints, custom portraits and collars

Guest larock

Wow, that is frustrating. I would just keep them on a bland diet for the next few weeks. Boiled chicken and rice...other than that I wish I could offer more help.

Edited by larock

Guest Stripeyfan

Seconding this... maybe put them both on another course of ABs at the same time, too, to make sure whatever it is has gone? You could also try slippery elm bark, very good for GI irritation. Hope poor Roscoe feels better soon (and that Sage doesn't get it again!).

Guest BlackandBrindle

Fast them for at least 24 hours to try and give the stomach time to settle. Then keep them on a bland diet at least four or five days after they show improvement. You can gradually add in kibble but don't do it all at once.

It's possible they both have worms. Giardia and hook worms come to mind but it could be anything.

Are they both still on antibiotics?

I second the 24 hour fast to give their insides time to rest. Would also consider some really good probiotic support e.g. acidopholis Pearls or Diarsynel (spelling?). Also need to follow up on antibiotic/worm possibilities. JMO. Hope they get better SOON! Would definietly NOT use any immodium or similar. Would not want to keep any causative agents inside them. They probably need to poop them out.

Sage's issue is under control. I brought her to the vet and started her on meds the very day she showed symptoms. I fasted her for 1.5 days and she's eating chicken and rice now. She hasn't pooped at all since starting to eat again. And yes, she is currently on Flagyl.

Roscoe was on Flagyl, but finished his course about 5 days ago.. before Sage showed her symptoms. So I assume he either caught it back from her, or it never fully went away to begin with. He has been picky with his food since then.. I called the vet today and they're prescribing him another course of Flagyl. So both those crazy monkies will be on AB at the same time.

It's possible they both have worms. Giardia and hook worms come to mind but it could be anything.

Are they both still on antibiotics?

They both had fecals which came out clean. Sage had hooks when I adopted her, but this diarrhea is different from the diarrhea she had with hooks. It's a little disgusting that I can tell the difference. :lol

If I fast them, and then start on a bland diet, but they continue to have D, do I fast them again until poop starts to firm up?

Edited by DevilDog

GTsiggy_zps0481d543.jpg

Lisa with Finnegan (Nina's Fire Fly) and Sage (Gil's Selma). Always missing Roscoe
www.popdogdesigns.net pop art prints, custom portraits and collars

Guest fandogs

Do you walk these dogs (leash walk) or do they go in your yard? Have you looked around to see if perhaps there are either berries, green weed grasses, flowers that they might be snacking on? Sometimes they can eat things that will really anger the digestive system.

Worth looking.

If I fast them, and then start on a bland diet, but they continue to have D, do I fast them again until poop starts to firm up?

I wouldn't fast beyond the first 24 hours. But they stay on the bland diet until things firm up--and several days beyond.

Cook the livin' daylights out of the rice, then cook it some more. It should be mushy. Remove as much fat as you can from whatever meat you're feeding them. (You can rinse the meat under running water, then dry it with a paper towel.)

Stick to one carb and one protein. If you get continued bad results on that, change one or the other. (What's been in their regular food? If you can, stick to a carb or protein that you know they're okay on.) I don't see any way this could be an allergy (they wouldn't both be sick), but if an agitated stomach is causing problems now for Roscoe, you can try changing to another food item to see if that's more soothing. (For instance, cook and mash potatoes to replace the rice.)

Try a Pepcid before Roscoe's meals. And maybe try smaller meals more often. Maybe if he doesn't have a full stomach, he'll have more success processing what's in there. (And if he doesn't he won't be having such large blowouts.)

And make sure he stays well hydrated...

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Guest BlackandBrindle

Things that have helped in the past for us:

Don't use rice in the bland diet but use sweet potatoes or yams. Just fast for the first 24 hours. Feed several small meals instead of one large meal. Try adding a bit of yogurt to the bland diet. You can also use boiled chicken instead of ground beef (less fat).

It is entirely possible and actually quite common for a pup to have a clean fecal but still have worms. It depends on where you are in the life cycle a lot of times. If the diarrhea persists, I'd definitely consider worms to be a real possibility.

Don't use immodium or pepto at that moment. It's best to try and let these things run their course. Hope all is better soon!