Apollo

Guest bigorangedog

Guest bigorangedog

My sweet and brave Apollo,

I’ll never know what the first 9.5 years of your life were like, or why you lost your other family. All I wanted was to make you a part of our family, and make you understand that it was really and truly forever.

You had a bit of a hard time trusting people, I know. You were friendly and outgoing, but were wary of anyone who got too close to you. I’m grateful that during our time together, you decided to let me in. That in the end, you were able to take comfort from being close to me. That you could lay your head on my shoulder and relax while I rubbed your face.

At Heartland, they said you were a “gentleman.” That’s true. You always had a dignified air about you, even when you let go a bit and ran just for the sake of running. The way you sat on your bed watching the household goings-on, your long neck appearing even longer with your missing scapula, you were stately and magnificent.

When people came to adopt greyhounds here, I can’t even count how many times the families wanted to take you home instead of the adoptables. Especially children, even though you never particularly cared for children. They were all drawn to you. Families ignoring vibrant 2-year-old females in favor of a big senior tripawd boy. There was just something about you. Always so gentle, so sweet.

You were a beautiful boy. And that’s not just a mama talking. The kind of beautiful that made everyone stop and remark upon it whenever we were out. You had that Art Deco silhouette, everything tapered and elongated. Delicate but strong. Soft and sleek. I remember the feel of your neck and chest under my hands.

I wish I had known you better when I had to make that life-or-death decision for you. You had only been in our family for 4 months at the time. I have questioned myself, doubted, regretted, reassured, and questioned again whether we did right by you to take your leg. I only hope that you understood, at some level, that we were trying to help you. That every decision was made out of love.

You amazed me from the first day after your amputation, when you hopped out of that clinic under your own power and only got better each day after that. I know it was hard on you emotionally, but you were brave and you bounced back. You just kept right on going through everything. I remember clearly the day we took that video of you running in the front yard. It was the day that you realized that you could still run. From that point on, you were yourself again. Having that video of you saves me. It helps me remember that you had joy here.

I think that you were happy here, on 4 legs and on 3. You would run in fast from the yard sometimes, just for the fun of it, or take off to the far corner if Brad was barking at something there. You learned to recognize my MNGR shirts, and campaigned hard to go to every event with me. I loved to see you so excited and bouncy, knocking into everyone, wagging your long whip of a tail, even jumping up at me with that one front leg. It broke my heart when I couldn’t take you. I always took you when I could; when it was not to hot, or too far for you to walk. I just hated ever saying no to you, with your sweet expectant face.

I knew that you were feeling good when you would hop after me every time I went to the kitchen. I could never turn you down, and I always produced some kind of tidbit for you. I would try to finish up whatever I was doing in the kitchen before you finished eating your treat, or you would be bopping back in there, ears up, to wait for another.

I hope that I can always recall the sound of your high-pitched, hoarse but piercing bark. You almost never barked, but when I came home, you would almost always meet me at the gate, barking that silly bark. That was one of those times when I could count on some big tail wags from you. Oh, those wags of your skinny, curly tail made me so happy. I just loved that you loved me, after all you had been through. I’d put myself between you and the rest of the thundering herd, so they wouldn’t knock you off balance. I would lean over you and hug you, rub your prickly new fur under your chest where your leg used to be, kiss your head and tell you how happy I was to see you. The house howl will never be the same without your high bark to get them started.

Oh, Pallo. I miss you so much already, my honeybear. You were such a huge piece of this family, our “pack.” The girls love you too, even though you didn’t want to play with them. They were always concerned about you, asking whether you were okay, showing me that they were being gentle around you. They name their stuffed dogs Apollo, and draw pictures of dog-creatures named Apollo. I am so glad that they got to know you too.

Thank you for being part of our family. For trusting us, forgiving us, for trying so hard, and for loving us. You have a space in my heart for you and only you. I love you, my baby boy.

8522_1231032050198_1061032718_30700304_1592723_n.jpg

26183_1362947908012_1061032718_31039671_4741194_n.jpg

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am so sorry. :(:grouphug

...............Chase (FTH Smooth Talker), Morgan (Cata), Reggie (Gable Caney), Rufus
(Reward RJ). Fosters check in, but they don't check out.
Forever loved -- Cosmo (System Br Mynoel), March 11, 2002 - October 8, 2009.
Miss Cosmo was a lady. And a lady always knows when to leave.

I'm so sorry. Jen, I hope I don't see any threads started by you in Remembrance for a very long time flowers_red.gif

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

Jen, I am so, so sorry. grouphug.gif

Godspeed bravest Apollo ghrun.gif

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Godspeed, gallant boy.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Thank you for sharing Apollo with us. What a beautiful boy - inside and out. I am so sorry. I hope your girls are doing okay. Such a hard lesson for ones so young.

gallery_16605_3214_8259.jpg

Cindy with Miss Fancypants, Paris Bueller, Zeke, and Angus 
Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe), Maggie (All Trades Jax), Sherman (LNB Herman Bad) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow

I'm so sad to see Apollo here. He fought the good fight. I'm so sorry for your loss. Godspeed Apollo.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

I'm so sorry for your loss. His beautiful face made me gasp when I saw his picture. I can tell how much you loved him and my heart breaks with

yours. Godspeed Apollo.

Mary, mom to kitty Rebel.
Always missing Sherri (SO DELICIOUS) (12/6/2005-8/29/2018) kitties Marley (4/2000-12/3/2015) and Beady (4/1998-2/24/2006) and Dalmatian Daisy (7/25/1984-5/13/1999).

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work

and give to those who would not - Thomas Jefferson

Guest tricolorhounds

I'm so sorry Apollo had to leave... It's not fair, he didn't get to spend enough time with you.

... run free Apollo, like the wind

started my morning off with a good cry -- i knew the tribute to apollo would be sweet and moving -- but i feel like i knew him personally now - what a brave and sweet boy - may your memories of him comfort you. yes he took a piece of your heart, but he left a bigger piece of his own heart here for you. hugs --teri