Okay, Seriously?

Guest bigorangedog

Guest bigorangedog

Sorry to keep y'all waiting! Had to go straight from the vet to get my kids at preschool, home to make dinner, then run off to get my hair cut, then cleaning the house for a visit from our adoption social worker tomorrow (to approve us for another special-needs kiddo from China). So I am just now sitting down to the computer!

Anyway, here is the story... Took him to Dr Meg, who watched him walk and stand, and I could tell she was worried too. She loves my boys like her own boys. Palpated his front legs and shoulders all over, and found the spot that I was talking about. The first spark of hope was when she noted that he seemed to be a bit sensitive in the same spot on the other shoulder, just not nearly as much as on the right. I hadn't found that.

So, we marched down to the xray machine. (I keep joking that pretty soon, if I keep getting old greyhounds, we will pay for the clinic to get a new digital xray machine -- it's funny 'cause it's true...) Eyore was an absolute joy to have at the vet. He practically fell asleep on the table. So, we shot a film of the right shoulder, and one of the left for comparison. We looked at the right while we waited for the left to process. Meg held it up to the light and said, "It's actually looking pretty good." I said, "Gimme that! I don't believe you!" :lol So we put it up on the light box and we both scrutinized it over and over. I asked 10,000 questions.

We looked at the left-side rads, and then I made her take another shot of it just to be damn sure. But there are NO visible bone lesions. Dr Meg is all about getting 2nd opinions, but even she didn't think it was worth sending it off to the radiologist. She said there's nothing for him to look at.

So, the conclusion is that he subluxated that shoulder when he fell. She showed me, first on Eyore's body, and then on his rads, how there's just a bit more space on the right side between the scapula and the humerus where the 2 bones intersect. The scapula isn't sitting in its little spot quite as nicely on the right side.

I asked why he seems painful on his bone then, and she said that the point on his bone where he seems most painful is a point where a tendon attaches to the bone, and it's most likely that tendon that's messed up, not the bone.

I asked her 6 or 8 more times, just to make sure she wasn't going to change her answer. ;) (I have the nicest vet in the world.)

So VERY GOOD NEWS is that he does not show signs of osteo on his rads. Bad news is that this kind of injury is the kind that tends to chronically flare up throughout his life, and we have to keep him from overdoing. But you know what, I'LL TAKE IT! I have Deramaxx! I have cheese! I can give this boy some Deramaxx in cheese. :colgate

I was literally sick to my stomach all morning over this. I was so relieved I could barely drive myself home. Don't know that I have ever actually cried tears of relief before today.

I have only had this boy for 2 days, but he is something special. I have fallen hard for him. I just couldn't bear to see him get osteo so young, so soon after coming here. We celebrated with Arby's roast beef and cheddar sandwiches (for them; I'm a vegetarian), and I will sleep soundly tonight.

Thanks to everyone who worried about us and checked on us!! Was shocked to see how many views this thread had since yesterday. Thanks for caring about my sweet old guy!!

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I checked the thread earlier tonight--when you had posted good news but no details--then went off to get some work done. Just came back now, and I'm very happy to see what your vet says.

Give the boy a big kiss from me.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Guest debragilroy

Sorry to keep y'all waiting! Had to go straight from the vet to get my kids at preschool, home to make dinner, then run off to get my hair cut, then cleaning the house for a visit from our adoption social worker tomorrow (to approve us for another special-needs kiddo from China). So I am just now sitting down to the computer!

Anyway, here is the story... Took him to Dr Meg, who watched him walk and stand, and I could tell she was worried too. She loves my boys like her own boys. Palpated his front legs and shoulders all over, and found the spot that I was talking about. The first spark of hope was when she noted that he seemed to be a bit sensitive in the same spot on the other shoulder, just not nearly as much as on the right. I hadn't found that.

So, we marched down to the xray machine. (I keep joking that pretty soon, if I keep getting old greyhounds, we will pay for the clinic to get a new digital xray machine -- it's funny 'cause it's true...) Eyore was an absolute joy to have at the vet. He practically fell asleep on the table. So, we shot a film of the right shoulder, and one of the left for comparison. We looked at the right while we waited for the left to process. Meg held it up to the light and said, "It's actually looking pretty good." I said, "Gimme that! I don't believe you!" :lol So we put it up on the light box and we both scrutinized it over and over. I asked 10,000 questions.

We looked at the left-side rads, and then I made her take another shot of it just to be damn sure. But there are NO visible bone lesions. Dr Meg is all about getting 2nd opinions, but even she didn't think it was worth sending it off to the radiologist. She said there's nothing for him to look at.

So, the conclusion is that he subluxated that shoulder when he fell. She showed me, first on Eyore's body, and then on his rads, how there's just a bit more space on the right side between the scapula and the humerus where the 2 bones intersect. The scapula isn't sitting in its little spot quite as nicely on the right side.

I asked why he seems painful on his bone then, and she said that the point on his bone where he seems most painful is a point where a tendon attaches to the bone, and it's most likely that tendon that's messed up, not the bone.

I asked her 6 or 8 more times, just to make sure she wasn't going to change her answer. ;) (I have the nicest vet in the world.)

So VERY GOOD NEWS is that he does not show signs of osteo on his rads. Bad news is that this kind of injury is the kind that tends to chronically flare up throughout his life, and we have to keep him from overdoing. But you know what, I'LL TAKE IT! I have Deramaxx! I have cheese! I can give this boy some Deramaxx in cheese. :colgate

I was literally sick to my stomach all morning over this. I was so relieved I could barely drive myself home. Don't know that I have ever actually cried tears of relief before today.

I have only had this boy for 2 days, but he is something special. I have fallen hard for him. I just couldn't bear to see him get osteo so young, so soon after coming here. We celebrated with Arby's roast beef and cheddar sandwiches (for them; I'm a vegetarian), and I will sleep soundly tonight.

Thanks to everyone who worried about us and checked on us!! Was shocked to see how many views this thread had since yesterday. Thanks for caring about my sweet old guy!!

Just checking in and absolutely thrilled to see this news! You needed a break after all the heartache you have had.

He is just adorable and I can see how it would only take a minute to fall in love with that face. I hope you have

many many years together.

Mary, mom to kitty Rebel.
Always missing Sherri (SO DELICIOUS) (12/6/2005-8/29/2018) kitties Marley (4/2000-12/3/2015) and Beady (4/1998-2/24/2006) and Dalmatian Daisy (7/25/1984-5/13/1999).

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work

and give to those who would not - Thomas Jefferson

Jen,

I am just thrilled at this news. And if nobody has told you this lately; you are an incredible, caring person. An inspiration to us all. Good luck with your home visit today. I think the social worker would be absolutely crazy not to let you adopt the special needs child.

Jane

OH what a relief! He will just have to take it easy for a while now, and hopefully for the most part he can have a normal life.

I STILL feel that Sutra has something like that in addition to the osteo since he dislocated the shoulder months before his osteo dx. Sometimes it just seems like his leg isn't "sitting" quite right and it's painful for him. If I give him a couple of days, he's much better.

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

confetti.gif for you and Eyore! Enjoy those tears of joy, Jen, they are way different than the ones you've become too accustomed to. So relieved for you.

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Guest bigorangedog

I think the social worker would be absolutely crazy not to let you adopt the special needs child.

Jane

LOL thanks, Jane. We'll be getting the little girl. She's missing her right forearm and is 3 yrs old. Right now we have a 5-y-o with cerebral palsy and a 4-y-o with some dental abnormalities (which isn't really a "special need" in my opinion, but sure is spendy). Just like with the hounds, these older special-needs adoptions are TOTALLY the way to go! :colgate

Jen, I am so happy to hear the news that he seems okay!!! That is AWESOME! When I saw this thread yesterday, I couldn't open it because of your recent loss of Apollo and I thought, there's no way this could be happening to her again. You are one brave person for taking on all you do and like others, I just don't know how you do it. I am so happy that he's healthy and what a handsome boy he is.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

• 2 weeks later...

Jen, how is Eeyore doing? I have been thinking about him :wub:

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

Guest DoofBert

No way, it can't be! He sounds like he must be morbidly obese if he is 100lbs, so perhaps he is just sore.

Our Bacchus pushes 95 pounds and is not 'morbidly obese'. He's in greyt shape. I've seen a retired racer that was in perfect shape and tipped the scales at 110! (Bacchs raced at 111 according to GH data)..... And, as you might imagine a slip on a bigger hound would be more painful than a slip with smaller hound.

Bacchus slipped las month and was a little stiff for a day or two.

Hugs to you and the big guy!

Edited by DoofBert

Guest bigorangedog

Thanks for asking! Eyore is doing GREYT! I don't really notice a limp anymore at all (and believe me, I look!). He has been running in the yard with Tigger, and he playbows and tosses toys in the house. He's quite goofy for a 9-yr-old. I think we are all good! I barely know what to do with myself - this is the first time in 2 years that I have not had any of my personal dogs with medical issues. Everyone is healthy, knocking on wood. A couple need dentals, but no one has any medications or anything. Amazing.

40823_1485729817483_1061032718_31353376_4673881_n.jpg

40823_1485729897485_1061032718_31353378_2811205_n.jpg

Breathing a sigh of relief here! How nice to see him playing and having fun :)

Such wonderful news!!

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.

I am sorry to hear about your Apollo. Here is praying that Eyore is just sore (I managed to step on Tractor while trying to get out the door this morning) and that there is nothing more seriously wrong.

Missing Hiro, Tank, and Tractor