Okay, Seriously?

Guest bigorangedog

Guest bigorangedog

As ya'll know we lost Apollo today. Since Feb of last year, we lost 8 dogs. 5 had osteo.

Today we got an almost-9 year old boy named Eyore. Thought he was meant for us because we have a Tigger that looks just like him (except Eyore is 100 pounds). Rescued Racers in St Louis brought him up to us. He got here 2 hrs after Apollo died. So he's been here since about 4pm.

I am already almost certain that he has osteo. He is favoring his right front leg, and seems painful over the humerus. Neither his old owner, nor the temporary foster home, noticed a limp. But we did right away. We've even seen him hold the paw up while standing twice.

The foster mom did say that he spread-eagled on her hardwood floor over the weekend. That is my only bit of hope that this is not osteo, but rather an injury. (Athough, from another perspective, perhaps he slipped on the floor because he has osteo and is unsteady on his feet.) Honestly, it seems more like bone pain to me than muscle pain, but of course I am not a vet.

My vet's day off is tomorrow, but if he is still favoring the leg on Thursday he'll go in.

He is a sweet, sweet, dear old white-faced brindle guy. He just lost his home of 5+ years. He does not deserve this.

Not sure how I will get through this again (but of course we will keep him either way). Not sure how I'll afford our 3rd round of amp/chemo in 9 months either....

Someone please tell me, convincingly, that this is NOT happening.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest azlorenz

Oh Jen, I am so sorry to hear about Apollo. :weep

Jen, praying it isn't osteo but if it is, he couldn't be in better hands :bighug .

Edited by azlorenz

Nooooooooo! Praying hard here. Eyore needs to have a happy outcome, for him and for you. :grouphug

Casual Bling & Hope for Hounds
Summer-3bjpg.jpg
Janet & the hounds Maggie and Allen Missing my baby girl Peanut, old soul Jake, quirky Jet, Mama Grandy and my old Diva Miz Foxy; my angel, my inspiration. You all brought so much into my light, and taught me so much about the power of love, you are with me always.
If you get the chance to sit it out or dance.......... I hope you dance! Missing our littlest girl.

Guest bigorangedog

No way, it can't be! He sounds like he must be morbidly obese if he is 100lbs, so perhaps he is just sore.

Nope - his racing weight was 96 lbs. He's just big.

well **

That about sums it up, doesn't it?

I'm so sorry about Apollo.

I hope hope hope you're wrong about Eyore. He and you both deserve better.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

Three years ago I adopted a ten yo Grey who had just lost his home of five years. He was my second Grey. The year before I had adopted my first Grey one month after losing the last of our three senior dogs. We lost them all in a nine month span. It was days prior to finalizing his adoption, and Luke had a limp on a front leg that had just showed up at his foster home. I was the one who drove him to the vet for that & blood work. Though it could have been a strain from playing with his younger foster sister, his bloodwork was strange & osteo came up. The request was made for xrays & further bloodwork. Though he was not yet mine I was already committed to him, heart & soul. The wait to find out what was wrong was very difficult.

It turned out he did not have osteo but just arthritis & likely a strain as well. They could not determine knew why his CBC was off but I adopted him anyway. The cause of his strange CBC was later diagnosed as chronic leukemia. Luke never developed osteo. We had him for over three years & each day of that was a blessing. As Dr. Couto predicted, he lived out a normal lifespan despite his leukemia.

Wishing the same for you, a fright that turns out to be something far less worrying & many happy years together.

Guest fandogs

Tears for you and your loss of Apollo..

Hope for just a minor injury for the new guy.. and several more happy years, pain free.

Keep us posted.

Firstly, I am so sorry about Apollo :(:grouphug

If this new boy does indeed have *it*, I can only assume that someone up above has sent him your way because they know you are one of the best for being able to offer whatever is necessary for a dog in that situtation. Much better he is with you than with someone who wouldn't give a *bleeep* and wouldn't take proper care of him. It's terribly hard for you but the best thing for the houndy. All that said, I hope your feelings are wrong and that Eyore has something much more simple :grouphug

Deerhounds Darcy, Duffy, Grace & Wellington, Mutts Sprout & Buddy, Lurchers Ned & Jake plus Ella the Westie + cats. Remembering Del, Jessie, Maddison, Flo, Sally, Stanley, Wallace, Radar, Mokka, Oki cat, Tetley, Poppy & Striker.

Please visit our web store at http://www.dogsndubs.com for our own range of Greyhound related clothing for humans!

There are literally no words. :ohno I hope you're wrong. :goodluck :goodluck :goodluck

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

So sorry to hear about Apollo. I checked out your blog. You have a beautiful family...humans and greys a like (Schnauzer too!) I can't fathom how you've dealt with losing so many kids in such a short span.

Lotsssss of prayers for Eyore. He has the cutest/coolest name...he has to be fine! blush.gif I really hope some good karma comes your way. You've done so much good... You deserve it...

Guest brandi007

I'm so sorry but want to thank you for loving so many dogs regardless of what 'baggage' they come to you with, it takes a strong and beautiful heart to do what you do. Lots of good thoughts for you and Eyore :grouphug

First Jen, I'm so sorry about Apollo :cry1

Second, a big boy having a Bambi on Ice moment is going to hurt, for sure. Give him a couple of days. If it were me though, I'd go straight for an xray just to put my mind at ease. It's possible he's injured some tendons in the shoulder, or maybe dislocated it (that's what happened to Sutra when he slid off of the couch back in January).

What you do for these dogs is nothing short of amazing. Take time to take care of yourself, and love on this sweet, displaced boy. He was clearly sent to you for a reason :nod

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

Wishing the same for you, a fright that turns out to be something far less worrying & many happy years together.

Yes, THAT.

Camp Broodie with tuxedo Summer 12 and tuxedo Dio 6

Missing KC Kitty 2000-2016, Myka and part of my heart 2006-2020, and Saint YellBoy 2014-2020