Suddenly Chewing?

Guest mbfilby

Guest scfilby

So our spooky Cy has been with us over a year. He has blossomed (at least in the house) into an affectionate out going hound. Not so much with strangers, but OK at home.

Two days ago, out of the blue, he picked up a leather case for a rare coin, and started chewing. No big deal, except he has to reach far in to the bottom shelf of my night table to get it.

Weird, he has never been a chewer before, except he likes to shred paper..

I moved most everything from that area I thought he might get in to. Last night he got a hold of an antique hunting knife and actually chewed and ate part of the leather sheath. There is a good square inch missing which he obviously swallowed... what the heck has gotten in to him? I suppose the antique leather is not any more harmful then a rawhide (except for the tanning chemicals) :(

Edited by scfilby

Guest MyBoys

Over the years of adopting greys the only chewer we had was our spooky boy Gunnar, and the chewing started about a year after he was with us, go figure :huh . Maybe he is now feeling comfortable and whats yours is now his :lol. I would just make sure he lots of his own stuff around that he can chew, like kongs and heavy duty toys. Maybe you could try putting one in a hiding place and allow him to fine it, like a kong with treats in it. If he has his own stuff that is fun to him maybe your stuff won't be so interesting. As for paper, I just think there are some dogs that just LOVE to tear paper up.

I would just watch him very closely and run to the vet at the first sign of anything physically unusual. Slim did that the week or 2 before he crossed over from bloat/GDV. He NEVER had chewed or damaged anything before in 5 years then suddenly started doing it-even chewed the wall! In fact the night he got sick he had rammed a broom handle through his muzzle? Very uncharacteristic. It may very well have no connection whatever to his sudden crossing over but it did happen and I of course can't forget it. If you have a holistic vet or acupuncture vet it might be a good idea to take him immediately and get his energy/pathways balanced etc. That is what I would do now if I ever seen another of my houndies display this behavior. Hope he quickly returns to normal!

Edited by racindog

Weird, he has never been a chewer before, except he likes to shred paper..

From reading your post in Soapbox I'm thinking he is picking up on the stress your dealing with regarding your house and your upcoming move back to Manitoba.

I haven't seen your SB thread, but if you're stressed, then I think this is likely. I would keep bully sticks (or some other chewie that you feel is safe and highly desirable) and exchange it for what he's chewing when you discover he's doing it. And/or offer them more regularly as an outlet for his stress. More exercise would be helpful too if you're going through a transition.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

• 3 weeks later...
Guest jeffvaldez

Sake is almost five and has been a chewer since I adopted her two years ago. I give her plenty of chew toys, but she loves my shoes, earbuds, and socks. She's also destroyed a coffee table by chewing it while I'm away at work. She's also into paper and loves to rip it up. Other than her chewing habit, she's the perfect companion. There are no other issues, but I just wish someone could tell me how to break her of chewing.