How Do You Weigh Your Greyhound?

Guest manders4

We do nail clippings at the vet every few weeks, and for some reason they always want to weigh her. *shrug*

Interestingly, Arrisa seemed to already know all about dog scales when I got her. She is a pro at walking right on and standing still with almost no prompting. I assume she'd get weighed fairly often at the track?

They get weighed before each of their races, so usually once or twice a week.

Mary in Houston

Everyone has a photographic memory, but not everyone has film.

LAND OF THE FREE BECAUSE OF THE BRAVE

Guest Luvastorm

We have 2 senior broodies. One, who will be 11 in Sept. we have had for 4 years, the other, who we've had for just over 3 months will be 8 in Sept. also.

We're trying to keep the 11 yr. olds weight DOWN and get the 8 yr. olds weight UP, so we take them to our vet ever few weeks to be weighed on the scale they have in the waiting area.

Both girls ran a LOT of races so are quite used to scales, they just walk right on. :colgate We were there to-day and the old gal has lost .2 of a lb. and the younger has gained .2, so we're happy.

The 8 yr. old had hookworm when we got her and was very, very thin. Once the worms are gone for sure and she's at an ideal weight, we'll mainly just eyeball them both.

We're seniors, so picking our gals up to weigh on a bathroom scale is totally out of the question :( and I know two local males who are near 90 lbs so I doubt their Moms will be picking them up. :lol

Guest FastDogsOwnMe

I sneak on the Banfield scale at my local Petsmart, or I swing by my vet. I'm not picking a 110lb Borzoi up when I myself am in the 120s :eek I will pick the Greys up, though, and the Whippet, and the human kid.

Guest BooBooMama

Am I the only one who picks up the dog and weighs myself WITH the dog and then subtracts my weight?

I do that also...

With the cats and ShihTzu! :rofl :rofl :rofl

But, yes, if you can heft the weight and balance yourself, that works well. I just keep an eye on them and pop into the Vet's if we are on the way. A good rule of thumb for pet greyhounds weight is about 5 pounds over their racing weight. Most people like to see a bit of the end rib, a defined waist, a tuck and some hip bone.

My young dogs are overweight now and we are working on it. The main reason they have chucked up is because I have an older greyhound who only eats sporadically. I won't waste his food, so it gets split between the younger dogs as a before bed snack. It's very frustrating to have a dog of any age who won't eat. But my younger brats are more than willing to help with the leftovers.

Ha! Me too! But that was back when I had 60 and 65 pound dogs. BooBoo was a big girl- WAY too awkward to pick up plus she weighed 74 lbs.

Guest BooBooMama

My vet does it for free and I do not have to make an appointment- just pop in whenever they are open. Our vets like that we do it. A vet tech will always write down her weight to add to her chart.

Guest WhiteWave

Either at the vet or when we are the pet store.

But not really that often. I just eyeball them. Plus several of my dogs are HUGE, Dogo and Great Dane and no way I'm holding them and balancing on a scale! :)