Tramadol

Can tramadol have a slightly sedating effect? Bandit (age 12.5) started limping so I added tramadol in addition to his rimadyl for arthritis.

Normally he follows me around the house but not today. :( He's been sleeping in nearly the same position for hours. At least he did just get up, go outside with me, peed and pooped (him, not me) and then attempted to run in but thought better of it.

He has always had a rather expressionless face but I know the nuances of it. Today he was not happy nor feeling good.

I've made him a vet appt for Thursday. I hope that he's back to normal by then or that the tramadol is easing his leg pain/limp. He already has a wonky rear leg from an old hock fracture. He can't afford to have a front leg not work right. :(

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Yes, it can. Sending lots of prayers and gentle scritchies.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest Tenderhearts

Yes. I take it for my degenerative disc disease. It's a synthetic opoid. Randy has some for his recuperation from the dental today.

My vet said she can take half of one for a migraine and go to sleep. It does not have that effect on me. :lol

Guest zoolaine

Yes it kinda made Sunny a bit out of it for the first few weeks he was on it. Then his body seemed to adjust to it. Hope Bandit is feeling better.

Guest bigorangedog

Can also have the opposite effect - anxiety, panting, dysphoria. That's what usually happens to my guys. Hope he adjusts to it and feels better soon.

Yes, it can, as well as the opposite like Jen said. What dose is he on?

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Guest GryffinSong

Gryffin was on a very high dose for the pain of osteosarcoma and it didn't seem to affect him. But the vet did say, as others have already said, that it can be sedating. Good luck!!!

Guest FullMetalFrank

It can have that effect. I have been taking tramadol for several years for arthritis pain and there is an adjustment period when you first start it or raise the dosage. I have found that most side effects from it are pretty temporary so it can be worth waiting out the week or so that it takes to see if your pup will come around.

Yes, tailor the dose to the particular dog and their metabolic condition too. Tramadol caused dangerous arrhytmias in my last dog and she had to be taken off it(her heart was going like a motor for many hours) and then it heavily sedated her until it cleared from her system. The arrythmias have been mentioned in the human medical literature and the vet was not aware of the potential. My dog had CRF and that meant toxins cleared much more slowly from the body than would be normal meaning that the amount of Tramadol in the system effectively built up.

Bandit is doing better this morning. Last night he was able to get up to go out for last potty and almost ran back in the house. This morning he ate well and went out to potty.

The tramadol is 50mg. Since he is showing no signs of a limp this morning I am not going to give him another tramadol until I see how he is at 1pm when I get back home. I figure if he responded that quickly to only 2 doses of tramadol that we're dealing with a muscle strain from running like a crazy man rather than a more serious issue.

When Gracie has had to take the tramadol it did not sedate her at all so that was why I was concerned when Bandit did get zonked out from it.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Hope Bandit is feeling better.

It can, both sedating and the opposite effect as mentioned.

The warning labels on the bottle are correct ... I once took Pal's Tramadol instead of my own script, and napped during an entire veterinary seminar rolleyes.gif

edited b/c I can't spell.

Edited by FiveRoooooers

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Guest Energy11

Bandit is doing better this morning. Last night he was able to get up to go out for last potty and almost ran back in the house. This morning he ate well and went out to potty.

The tramadol is 50mg. Since he is showing no signs of a limp this morning I am not going to give him another tramadol until I see how he is at 1pm when I get back home. I figure if he responded that quickly to only 2 doses of tramadol that we're dealing with a muscle strain from running like a crazy man rather than a more serious issue.

When Gracie has had to take the tramadol it did not sedate her at all so that was why I was concerned when Bandit did get zonked out from it.

Glad Bandit is feeling better! Yes, Tramadol can be sedating. When Max was taking it for OS, he was very sedated, which, in his case, was a good thing. Like any medication, dogs and humans can all be effected differently.

Sending lots of love to your Bandit!

Guest ProudGreyMom

Yes! Big time. Andy has been on Tramadol for a week and was sooooo out of it. We switched him to a new med once his bloodwork was complete and he is much more alert.

My DesiRay is 7 yrs old & 85 lbs. He takes 2 Tramadol every 12 hours.....it made him pretty gorked for a while at first, but now the only way I can tell I

haven't forgotten to give it to him is if he's gimpy or not. I used to take Tramadol myself for my knees & it didn't sedate me.....made me want to go out & mow grass, just because the pain was less & I could. I agree it affects everyone differently.

Blessed is the person who has earned the love of an old dog.

Yes. I take it for my degenerative disc disease. It's a synthetic opoid. Randy has some for his recuperation from the dental today.

My vet said she can take half of one for a migraine and go to sleep. It does not have that effect on me. :lol

Hey! Me too! Well, not for disc disease!

It ALSO has anti-anxiety properties. It does make George a little bit mellow, but because I take it regularly, doesn't have that effect on me. Sure does help with the pain though!

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Can also have the opposite effect - anxiety, panting, dysphoria. That's what usually happens to my guys. Hope he adjusts to it and feels better soon.

Yep. Happened to one of mine.............scared the heck out of me because at one point it seemed as if she were blind! No more Tramadol for her! I guess it works for some but not for others.

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

Are any of you using tramadol regularly for your dog?

If so, for how long have they remained on it?

tiny hada siggy.png

Are any of you using tramadol regularly for your dog?

If so, for how long have they remained on it?

Daisy has been on Tramadol for a couple of months. She was taking 50mg twice a day, but we went to see Dr. Radcliffe in Wheeling last week and he bumped her up to 3x/day and added Rimadyl and an herbal supplement as well. He is very aggressive about pain management.

Daisy seems to be tolerating the meds well, but she had a liver issue in April (for which we never found the root cause) so I'm worried that all these meds really aren't good for her. Unfortunately after five days on the new regimen her limping isn't better. I wonder how typical it is to use this amount of meds for arthritis?

[background: Poor Daisy has been x-rayed multiple times over 2 1/2 years and Dr. Radcliffe finally pinpointed the problems. He found arthritis in her shoulder--several vets in VT kept telling me it's her neck when I _knew_ it was her shoulder. She does have compressed discs in her neck too--which VT vets had ID'd, but Dr R didn't think that could cause the limping. Dr R. also found a tiny fracture in her foot (probably from jumping out of DHs truck I'm guessing), and she has arthritis in her toe and had a corn which I hulled in the same toe, which we found with the vet here in PA.]

I think we might give laser treatments a try too, but I am also wondering about using Tramadol and Rimadyl long-term too.

So, that's probably more info than you needed, but I guess I'm wondering about the med issue too.

Donna
Molly the Border Collie & Poquita the American-born Podenga

Bridge Babies: Daisy (Positive Delta) 8/7/2000 - 4/6/2115, Agnes--angel Sage's baby (Regall Rosario) 11/12/01 - 12/18/13, Lucky the mix (Found, w 10 puppies 8/96-Bridge 7/28/11, app. age 16) & CoCo (Cosmo Comet) 12/28/89-5/4/04